Sign in to follow this  
engineer

New 414-8 to Mow Lawn

engineer

Picked up a 414-8 while my GT1642 recuperating so I can mow the lawn without pushing a mower. I suspect model is 31-14K802 as near as I can read the WH tag. How does one tell what Kohler engine is installed if all identifying marks not readable.  Are model/serial numbers embossed in shrouds somewhere as on B&S motors? Toro master parts viewer says it is a M14S-601524, is this sufficient to search for parts and repair manuals?  Would like to find manuals for it as engine runs well half throttle and up, but when trying to idle sputters backfires and quits.  I would supspect we are talking a good carb cleaning is in order and would like to have something to go on, other t "take it apart and see how it all goes" or should I be looking at something else?

gwest_ca

The Kohler's do not have any model info stamped into the engine. Just the decal.

If the engine has an external ignition coil it will be a 1986 model 31-14K801 using a K321S engine.

The 1987 model 31-14K02 used the M14S-601524 with breakerless magneto ignition so no external coil.

The 1988 model 31-14K03 used the M14S-601540 with breakerless magneto ignition so no external coil.

The 1989 model 31-14K03 used the M14S-601540 with breakerless magneto ignition so no external coil.

Garry

• Like 1

engineer

Thanks for the information.  Will ask for further help when get  in over my head.