WildmanC120

What should I pay for this 520H? What issues should I look for?

WildmanC120

In my search for a bigger horse and not spend a whole lot of money, what do you think this 520H is worth?  What should I look for that are common issues with these?  Thanks

37951142_10217913604218376_1535809871880912896_n.jpg

38790748_697665857267915_6102317752091934720_n.jpg

38812295_666728943693688_2322424933050744832_n.jpg

38821409_273931219870089_4892323824407674880_n.jpg

38817193_448105302376509_7214483921185013760_n.jpg

38878168_2282410725142953_8701359461136072704_n.jpg

38885407_524389094684510_3587733890569076736_n.jpg

38853640_1795624153805982_5183631875339452416_n.jpg

lynnmor

I can't find a single thing that hasn't been messed up.  Run!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

WildmanC120
2 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

I can't find a single thing that hasn't been messed up.  Run!

Can you tell me what you see that's messed up? Asking $500 so I would expect some things will need work

pfrederi

Well the back tires are nice...Other than them ...  Hours???  (But teh hour meter probably hasn't run in years...  I am with lynnmore  step away...

• Thanks 1

WildmanC120
7 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Well the back tires are nice...Other than them ...  Hours???  (But teh hour meter probably hasn't run in years...  I am with lynnmore  step away...

it has 11xx hours...If that's even right right.  UGH. Finding something decent in this area is not easy.  

lynnmor

I am currently working on a "low hour" 520 H engine that was in the weather like the one in question, never again, the rust was a serious issue.  A valve seat was loose, the intake leaked and the governor is bad, just to mention a few faults.

Now about the proposed tractor:

Muffler tabs broken.

Heat shield missing

PTO severely rusted.

PTO brake missing.

Front axle is straight, not a desirable type,

Bend in seat support says broken.

Spark plug wires are redneck.

Steering wheel crocked, possibly needs replaced.

Seat spent.

What are the rubber mounts in the rear fender?  Cab mounts?

Bolts missing.

Cover plates missing.

General appearance is junkyard quality.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Cee245

Yikes! 

That there is a parts tractor. If you find a nicer one, you could buy this one for the few spare parts it offers. Good luck

I would be ok with 100 - 150. Most of that would be the cool guy rear tires.

Cory

Edited by Cee245

The Gman

:text-yeahthat: and :text-yeahthat: and :text-yeahthat: bought one last year with a blown forward cylinder (fixed now) 250 Canadian. That makes mine look show room quality.

I'd pass. 100 maybe for parts for when you get one

Sorry to be blunt :wacko:

• Like 1

AMC RULES

310-8 speed up there, Albany area C/L for $300...

supposedly just needs a clutch return spring.  :confusion-shrug:

00E0E_4XkJbZlDuMG_1200x900.jpg

WildmanC120
1 minute ago, AMC RULES said:

310-8 speed up there, Albany area C/L for $300...

supposedly just needs a clutch return spring.  :confusion-shrug:

00E0E_4XkJbZlDuMG_1200x900.jpg

No thanks. I already have a C-120.  I'm looking for at least a C-160. Preferably a c-175/195 or 520H

• Like 1

varosd

Not worth $500

note the air cleaner cover lying on the floor in the first picture. 

It goes inside the pretty chrome air cleaner cover to actually cover the air cleaner. Possible carburetor mice in there

if you got it as an extra 520 parts rig for cheaper it might be ok

a quick hose down does not equate to NOS.  Keep looking

• Like 2

JAinVA

I have to say At least 2 of my 520 machines look rougher than that one.With that said they all had the gear reduction steering setup and that alone brings more that what I have in them.What you are looking at is a high hour 416 with 520 sheet metal and a little more power.The only thing worth much is the rear rims and tires.Parts machine for sure.I agree with most here that the loose and missing parts tell you walk away unless real cheap for parts.$500.00 in any market is nuts.

Edited by JAinVA

953 nut

Have you driven it yet?    How well does the engine run?      Is the transmission strong and the lift working as it should?    That wad of wires hanging from the dash is a bit concerning to me.       Unless the engine runs smoothly and the hydro is strong I would pass on it!

WildmanC120
6 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Have you driven it yet?    How well does the engine run?      Is the transmission strong and the lift working as it should?    That wad of wires hanging from the dash is a bit concerning to me.       Unless the engine runs smoothly and the hydro is strong I would pass on it!

I have not even gone to look at it.  Those are the pics the seller sent me.  It's been on Facebook marketplace for a little while and is priced higher then the $500 he said to come and get it.  I was thinking 400 myself but will probably walk at this point.  

There is a nice looking 195 on Facebook but he wants 1300 for it with only a blade.  It does not have the 3 point or PTO either. 

ericj

the baffles are missing in the deck essentially turning it into a rear discharge,if you can run it and drive it and make sure it is firing on BOTH cylinders I would step out on a limb and say it could be worth it, not that I would pay it though. but parts could make it worth it. I would be into it for between $ 300.00 and $ 400.00 IF IT RAN . but I would probably part it out if I bought it. it is rough to say the least. If this is your first 520 I would probably walk away like everybody is saying. If you decide you want to go through with it you need to check and make sure it is firing on both cylinders. A quick way to check is to carefully feel the exhaust pipes under the heat shields to make sure both are getting hot. a compression test is best. an onan will run on one cylinder and still sound pretty good some people don't even know it is running on one cylinder. also get the hydro good and warm and see if it slows down.

eric j 

• Like 2

WildmanC120
4 minutes ago, ericj said:

the baffles are missing in the deck essentially turning it into a rear discharge,if you can run it and drive it and make sure it is firing on BOTH cylinders I would step out on a limb and say it could be worth it, not that I would pay it though. but parts could make it worth it. I would be into it for between $ 300.00 and $ 400.00 IF IT RAN . but I would probably part it out if I bought it. it is rough to say the least. If this is your first 520 I would probably walk away like everybody is saying. If you decide you want to go through with it you need to check and make sure it is firing on both cylinders. A quick way to check is to carefully feel the exhaust pipes under the heat shields to make sure both are getting hot. a compression test is best. an onan will run on one cylinder and still sound pretty good some people don't even know it is running on one cylinder. also get the hydro good and warm and see if it slows down.

eric j 

This would be my 1st 520.  I will keep looking for something decent.  

• Like 2

FatJackDurham

I picked one up I. Better shape for $350. That one there looks to only be worth the rear tires and front axle and maybe the steering gears....

FatJackDurham

That crook in Salisbury, VT is selling a 520H for $600, on CL. but I am sure it needs work. Not as bad as the first one.

but that second one you listed seems a fair price, for what you get.

hh. It doesn’t have motion levers under the steering wheel like mine. When did they make them like that?

Edited by FatJackDurham

ronhatch

I don't understand how people can beat the 'you know what' out of was once a good piece equipment and have the guts to ask $500 bucks for it.  If you're going to take care of equipment this way, stick with Crapsmen, MTD or the stuff they sell

at the big box stores!!

Edited by ronhatch
  • Like 2

JAinVA

Motion control lever down low was late 80s.I looked at a 310-8 on Craigslist for 3 months  when I wanted to upgrade  from a riding mower.I looked but thought the asking price to high.I still do but by looking every day for WHs I caught a screaming deal.If the deal is good the machine won't be for sale long.You may miss one but at least you will be aware of what is a fair price in your market.JMHO

Edited by JAinVA

buckrancher
17 hours ago, ericj said:

eric j 

put your glass on Eric the baffle is in the deck:ychain:

• Like 1

ericj

I don't know what the heck  I was looking at, but they are there I'm sorry :hide:

eric j 

Edited by ericj
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

cleat

There are a few plusses to this generation.

SW gauges (if they work).

Steering wheel that says Wheel Horse on it.

Wheel Horse logo in center of steering wheel and on engine shroud.

No levers on steering column makes removing plastic trim much easier.

Console shift is easier to put Matt's foot control kit on.

Wire harness is simpler with no added relays.

Charge wire goes directly to solenoid keeping it out of the 9 pin connector.

Straight axle and regular steering will work fine so long as you don't use the 60" deck or 2 stage blower on it.

You can add bushings to the spindles as well to reduce friction such as these.

http://classickitchensandmore.com/wheel-horse-tractors-parts-c-42/wheel-horse-toro-lawn-tractor-34-inch-spindle-bearing-kit-new-p-5115.html

I made some out of Teflon for my one 520 with straight axle and it steers fine.

Cleat

WildmanC120
2 hours ago, cleat said:

There are a few plusses to this generation.

SW gauges (if they work).

Steering wheel that says Wheel Horse on it.

Wheel Horse logo in center of steering wheel and on engine shroud.

No levers on steering column makes removing plastic trim much easier.

Console shift is easier to put Matt's foot control kit on.

Wire harness is simpler with no added relays.

Charge wire goes directly to solenoid keeping it out of the 9 pin connector.

Straight axle and regular steering will work fine so long as you don't use the 60" deck or 2 stage blower on it.

You can add bushings to the spindles as well to reduce friction such as these.

http://classickitchensandmore.com/wheel-horse-tractors-parts-c-42/wheel-horse-toro-lawn-tractor-34-inch-spindle-bearing-kit-new-p-5115.html

I made some out of Teflon for my one 520 with straight axle and it steers fine.

Cleat

Why cant you run a 2 stage blower on this model with the straight axle?