bo dawg

How to clean engine for paint?

bo dawg

What’s the best way to get an engine clean enough to paint without taking it apart or getting water where it don’t need to be?

19richie66

I’ve scraped and wire brushed plus used carb cleaner for the heavy crusty stuff. Then a final rinse down with CRC red brakekleen or acetone. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

bo dawg
3 hours ago, 19richie66 said:

I’ve scraped and wire brushed plus used carb cleaner for the heavy crusty stuff. Then a final rinse down with CRC red brakekleen or acetone. 

What about the chemical residue? will the paint still stick ok?

Do you cover anything up to keep from getting wet?

953 nut

If you plan to paint an engine block the muffler, carburetor and tins should be removed. Scrape and wire brush as Richie said and put plastic bags in the intake and exhaust openings and use an engine degreaser followed by soap and water.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

19richie66

I have washed engine blocks and other oarts with crc red brakekleen and it evaporates leaving no residue. On an engine block getting in the cracks and crevices will be challenging. Thats why I use that to flush the stuff out. Never had an issue. Also on metal parts than can be heated safely, i use a small hand torch to heat the meatl before spraying anything on it. You can see the moisture leave the metal. Then I paint or prime it. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1