Rich16

520h '91 How To Remove Gauges?

Rich16

Hi! I'm a new member and sure this has been addressed here but how do you remove the gauges on a 520h '91?

I just bought a replacement tach on top right (sticking with all Toro to match) and almost cried when I saw how difficult replacement seems to be. Saw one post about bending the dash cover and loosening the metal piece behind the gauge flange but I tried and don't want to take the chance of breaking the dash cover. Is it necessary to remove the steering wheel and maybe the hydraulic levers to get to them? The voltmeter isn't registering either (bottom left) and it's even more difficult to get to so I don't think bending anything will work. Everything else works perfectly. Help!

Just purchased this 520h with just over 600 hrs and really worried about the rear valve seat issues but it purrs like a kitten and is a delight to hear - love it! The owner mostly restored everything and I'm finishing the job.

• Like 2

JAinVA

Hello and welcome to the best WH site anywhere.I own three 520 tractors and am no help at all with your gauge issues.To be honest I find most of them of no help.Why do I need a fuel gauge or worse a vacuum gauge?The only instrument I monitor is the hour meter.With that said I will comment on what I think is the main issue on any WH Onan powered machine.You need to monitor grass buildup in the rear cylinder tins.This subject has been discussed many,many times on this site.The Onan is a good engine but in the WH application they are hindered by a reduced airflow on the rear cylinder. Owners who neglect cleaning and routine maintenance,such as valve lash setting scratch there heads when the engine pukes a valve seat. JMHO,Luck,JAinVA

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 4

cleat

I would pull the steering wheel then the plastic may lift enough.

Not too difficult so long as wheel is not rusted to shaft, just use a 1/4" pin punch to remove roll pin then just lift off wheel.

I have only had one rusted badly to the shaft of a dozen or more I have removed.

If plastic will not lift enough now then you need to remove levers.

I work on my gauges during restorations so everything is apart.

Do the fuel and hour meters work ?

If not you might just need to check wiring and tach and volt meters might be OK.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

JAinVA

If you need to remove the steering wheel then you will have to remove the roll pin as Cleat stated,Keep in mind that the  steering shaft is located by thin metal and any heavy hammering can cause serious damage.I have had more than one that in order to get the roll pin out I had to take the upper hood stand off and remove the steering  shaft.Take the assembly to a solid surface,support the shaft and use a BFH to get the pin out.If you are doing a full resto then it may be worth the effort but if you want to use the machine then you may want to think about opening up a can of worms for things you really don't need.A tach on a governed engine tells you what?

I honesty believe the gauges WH mounted on the 520 were to add  to curb appeal.

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 5

WHX??

No doubt about the curb appeal JA, but then some of us are anal enough to keep our 520's in top shape enough to open that can. 

:WRS: Rich

• Like 4

JAinVA

No doubt about that and I want to state I have no issue with it.Great! The issue I have is that is there no is idea what outcome is expected.Use or restore.Big difference! How many RJs had gauges if you catch my angle.A newbie asked for info,I relayed what I have experienced, your mileage may vary.

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 1

lynnmor

I've replaced gauges by warming the dash and carefully pulling them out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rich16

I want to thank everyone for terrific comments and what a great group! I knew this is where I'd get an answer. And I can say I'm like Jim!! Super-anal.

I agree the gauges don't provide any functionality but since this one is 75-80% nearing looking like new and parts won't be available forever, I've decided to fix her up - completely stock. It's that nice.

I bought my 416-8 brand new in Cleveland, TN (east TN and seems a bit far south for a WH dealer?) in 1985 or 86 and it's functionally indestructable which I know I don't have to tell members. It's bushhogged, taken out small tree stumps (inadvertently!) and even mow some grass! Over time I managed to bend the spindles so it didn't mow flat - but it still mows. Moved to Jackson, TN & found an Ace Hardware in Memphis who had WH parts and bought a new deck (both 42") which I'm still using but I've managed to bend those also over the last part of my 416's 30+ year life and need to take apart and hammer back (if possible?).

It has the 16hp Kohler single cylinder and runs like brand new. In fact, it's scuffed up and could use TLC also but is in perfect running condition after over 3 decades - how much more could you ask of a garden tractor? Back in the early 90's someone posted an ad in the local paper and had all sorts of attachments (like a plow, disc, etc) for like $100 and I bought 'em. and it started for me what this group knows so well. I added the tiller and it's been indespensable in doing things it wasn't meant to do - like cutting trenches for drainage, etc. The drive belt was loose and clutch spring broke a few years ago and I kinda lost interest since we live on 15 acres of mostly forest now in a completely wooded neighborhood - maybe 1/2 acre of actual grass to mow. Wife hired someone to do it and I've got really bad psoriatic arthritis with serious limitations mostly restricting me to in-house activities (like a chair - blah). Bad disease.

But something crazy a couple months ago..... I read a few of these forums and got interested in a 520h. Just looking at 'em gave me 'the fever'. Thought maybe having hydraulics would help me use it and function - and I could perhaps mow with the 520h and leave the tiller on the 416 - or some such since moving these industrial grade pieces was once easy and now could put me in the hospital due to this disease.

The more I read about the 520 the more disheartened I got about the engine issues - the love it or hate it relationship with the Onan. Then electrical glitches.... I was very familiar with Onan's as I worked thru college summer help in a maintenance dept. and they were used on what were known as 'towmotors' in the factory (a polyurethane foam plant) in the 70's or one man fork lifts. Propane tank operated and we would occasionally have to replace an engine due to age or wear (they were run really hard). I took one home that threw a rod but gave up fixing since it didn't have a carburetor and I didn't have any money. But Onan for me was like a household name.

I couldn't stop the urge though and ended up buying the 520h I picked up two weeks ago. He sent me vids so I could listen to the engine which purred. One owner in Michigan then moved to Georgia and then to second owner in Ga who decided to restore it and now to me. I was honestly terrified of the rear seat issue after an 8+ hour drive (with skeptical wife) and who knows what else - but picked up a U-haul trailer to get it. There I was.... he turned the key... and it hit immediately. Ran flawlessly. Mentioned white smoke on start-up I worried about but it was a case of over-choking. Now that it's home I can say it hits immediately on turning the key every time. Thanx for tip on grass in rear fins - will keep immaculate.

Sorry for the long story but I got excited at the responses this A.M.! I don't know what I'll ever use this for - I know maybe heresy to some - but maybe just drive around our neighborhood with my wife in a cart (or reverse). It's just sooooo nice. Engine and drivetrain are perfect and cosmetics fantastic. A fantastic condition 48" deck just arrived with top-side as new. Bought angle grinder and wire-wheeled off 99% rust/scale and done two coats POR-15. A missing steering wheel cap is coming along with a replacement for a broken parking brake lever, and have a lead on a stock replacement seat. Haven't had this much fun in I don't know when - and boy do I ache!

Thanks much everyone! The steering wheel's coming off (not any serious rust on this machine I can detect) and I go from here.

• Excellent 3

WHX??
41 minutes ago, Rich16 said:

like Jim!! Super-anal.

I have been known to get a little too fussy at times! :D

I also have 3 520s one of which is really good shape and all things work as should on her and is an excellent runner. The other two not so much, one has smoking motor issues, and the other has a chewed up driver side axle & hub. Neither of them the gauges are working. If they were in better shape mechanically and paint wise I would maybe fix the gauges but I doubt it. I have my one beauty queen. The two sows will just get cleaned up and fixed up mechanically when their time in the shop comes so they can be outfitted with an attachment for every season and run them. I have very little invested in them and can't justify the cost and time  of having everything work as should.

There is no other place on earth than here for learning about the 520 than here. Use the search tool and you will find endless reading on them.

55 minutes ago, Rich16 said:

It's that nice.

How do we know if there are no :text-coolphotos:?!?!?

• Like 4

Rich16

Thanx Jim - Fussy is good!! Raining today but pix are coming - what fun!!

I definitely understand and appreciate the comments - I'm ususally a stickler for maintaining stuff.

I started feeling sorry for how I've used but cosmetically abused my 416-8. For several years after purchase it was cleaned & waxed like my car.... then this dreaded disease hit around age 39 and it just became a lawn/yard tool - which it was meant to be obviously. So I'm going to be like you and keep running the 416 as it was intended and baby the 520h.

It's funny how simple things that aren't that hard to fix yet can be annoying and make you lose enthusiasm - instead of buying a new clutch spring years ago after it broke I 're-engineered' the old one but it never worked right and the clutch pedal would stick forward requiring a pull backward with left toes to engage. After the 520 showed up I finally replaced the clutch spring and a replacement drive belt and OMG - how I'd forgotten just how great that machine is!! So simple.

Probably a good thing I didn't fix it first.... might not have taken the chance on the 520h but really glad I did.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

KC9KAS

@Rich16 :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

I too have a 520 with a bad hour meter. I do have a replacement but haven't attempted to do the swap!

JAinVA

If you find a machine that is in pristine condition and you have a desire to preserve it then you are doing it right.Some years back I found a really nice 416H with a like new 48" deck.The original owner kept in a garage and waxed it,The Onan runs clean and smooth.When I got it I realized it was in to good condition to use as intended.I don't show it but use it only to blow snow and tow a cart.It sounds as if your 520 has found a good home.I would like to think mine have too.2015_10_29_002.JPG.424b4ce4c3fd30008176892e9a9f2598.JPG2018_08_02_1843.JPG.37f37a517e21d72f459e6f94b0e59867.JPGDSCF1529.thumb.JPG.6a42c3ca26c5c4b50407a8f576d91f76.JPGLuck,JAinVA

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 4

Rich16
On 8/7/2018 at 8:44 PM, cleat said:

I would pull the steering wheel then the plastic may lift enough.

Not too difficult so long as wheel is not rusted to shaft, just use a 1/4" pin punch to remove roll pin then just lift off wheel.

I have only had one rusted badly to the shaft of a dozen or more I have removed.

If plastic will not lift enough now then you need to remove levers.

I work on my gauges during restorations so everything is apart.

Do the fuel and hour meters work ?

If not you might just need to check wiring and tach and volt meters might be OK.

Cleat - sounds good and I didn't want to do anything unnecessary if there was some 'duh!' solution to removing the gauges I hadn't thought of.

The fuel and hour meters work fine - with what I've read here about the wiring in these this one seems as immaculate as you will get. Everything is really clean including fuse box.

I just got in my replacement tach and wanted to be sure it worked and wiring OK until I can find time to do the heavy lifting (remove steering wheel).

I disconnected the old tach wiring and hooked up the replacement - works perfect. Yay! Three of four now OK and just have to install. And then tackle the voltmeter. Ideas?

The bakelite gauge light protrusion had broken off the original one (tach) flush with the back of the gauge and the incandescent light was taped on with electrical tape wrapped around - it had a longer cylindrical-shaped bulb (others are short and round) and I suspect was the cause of gauge failure. Looks like the tip of the light was right up against the circuit board and likely heat fried it. That was a $125 mistake.

To all here I've replaced the bulbs with LED's from Amazon and WOW!!! Not only are potential heat related issues no more but the gauge lighting is fantastic - my wife is hard to impress with any of this and even she said - that looks great! A daylight natural look instead of the dull yellow. So I guess it won't be 100% original......

cleat

For a volt meter, you can just get an aftermarket from any auto parts store and make it work.

ebay has them from $7.00.

There are likely used Wheel Horse gauges on ebay as well.

Rich16

Some quick pix now that it's dry! Still needs some work but it runs so well it's worth it.

520H 01.jpg

520H 02.jpg

520H 03.jpg

520H 06.jpg

520H 07.jpg

520H 09.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

That's a beaut :handgestures-thumbupright: well worth keeping her going.

• Like 1

Rich16
On 8/13/2018 at 10:07 AM, WHX20 said:

That's a beaut :handgestures-thumbupright: well worth keeping her going.

Thanks Jim! She's getting close and Gets more fun the further along you get!

• Excellent 1

chex313

Checking in here as this was the top hit for gauges...I want to replace my tach with a new hour meter for the new engine I put in. Getting the old one out is simple...I'll just cut it out. 

The question is... is the procedures you folks listed above, the way to put the new one in. Lynnmor did you use a heat gun or a hair dryer?

chex313

Got the roll pin right out, do folks reuse the roll pin or put something new or different?

cleat

If it’s not broken or too rusty then just reuse it

it should be a rolloc pin that is better than a standard roll pin

• Thanks 1

chex313

Thanks Cleat, it is in good shape(roll pin), and steering wheel came right off.

EDIT: Was able to get the old gauge out and the new one in without using heat, it was a hot day tho and the original owner had either made a cut below the steering wheel or the plastic cracked about 4" over the years, which seemed to make lifting the console up easier.

Edited by chex313
adding info

lynnmor
23 hours ago, chex313 said:

Lynnmor did you use a heat gun or a hair dryer?

I used a hair dryer.  This time of year the hot sun will help too.

• Thanks 1

gwest_ca
On 8/9/2018 at 1:04 PM, Rich16 said:

I disconnected the old tach wiring and hooked up the replacement - works perfect. Yay! Three of four now OK and just have to install. And then tackle the voltmeter. Ideas?

The bakelite gauge light protrusion had broken off the original one (tach) flush with the back of the gauge and the incandescent light was taped on with electrical tape wrapped around - it had a longer cylindrical-shaped bulb (others are short and round) and I suspect was the cause of gauge failure. Looks like the tip of the light was right up against the circuit board and likely heat fried it. That was a $125 mistake.

To all here I've replaced the bulbs with LED's from Amazon and WOW!!! Not only are potential heat related issues no more but the gauge lighting is fantastic - my wife is hard to impress with any of this and even she said - that looks great! A daylight natural look instead of the dull yellow. So I guess it won't be 100% original......

Garry