Wheelhorse427

K181 governor problems

Wheelhorse427

The Kohler K181 on my 855 will only rev to about 2500 RPMs. When I pull the throttle cable out the whole way with the engine running, I can see the governor arm push the throttle back down. I have adjusted the governor by the manual 3 or 4 times, but it made no difference. I'm pretty sure the throttle linkage is hooked up correctly because the throttle will open the whole way when the engine isn't running. Do I need to replace my governor gear? Thanks in advance. 

• Like 1

Achto

Can you post a pic or your throttle set up where it hooks to the gov wheel? it sounds like you might not be getting enough travel on the gov wheel when you pull the throttle out.

Wheelhorse427

5b69f2582af33_WheelHorsegovernor.jpg.c1abfb7680606a799ab9709ef095fb8b.jpg

pfrederi

Rotate the arm supporting the cable counter clock wise to speed her up

speed.JPG

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 5

Shynon
4 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Rotate the arm supporting the cable counter clock wise to speed her up

speed.JPG

:text-yeahthat:

Wheelhorse427

Sorry about the delayed response. I tried adjusting the governor this morning, but my engine won't start anymore. It has intermittent spark, so until I fix that I won't be able to mess with the governor. By the way, I tried adjusting the throttle bracket but it didn't fix the problem. Once the engine was above idle it would surge to about 3000 RPMs and stay there, even with the throttle cable closed. I plan on checking the governor gear stop screw to make sure the gear is still in contact with the camshaft gear.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Kenneth R Cluley
      By Kenneth R Cluley
      Got my parts from Lincoln, governor gear and shaft. So, I started assembly today. Took me three tries to get that two-piece crank in, thankfully it was within spec when done so I didn't have to take it back apart to shim!  Got the crank in, lapped valves and ground to spec. I found this old aluminum fixture from a hospital bed oxygen filter mount and squared it up on belt sander that worked really well on valve stem. Progress at last, will finish up soon. Hope it runs well when done! Going to put it on my 653.

• Kenneth R Cluley
      By Kenneth R Cluley
      Okay engine Guru's, newbie needs some help! Rebuilding older 8 horse and I am new to small engines. I have rebuilt numerous car/truck engines but never a kohler k. I have researched all available videos and really appreciate the small block tutorial by Prondzy. I am at reassembly stage, so my question is, related to timing marks. I have camshaft with centrifical advance which has a groove or line on spacer that engages pawls. does this groove line up with pointed part of casting on inner rim of gear? Also, there is a groove on opposite side of camshaft gear that I believe should align with pointed mark on casting of crankshaft. See attached pictures. Thanks for any help. Just want to be sure!

• Jennifer
      By Jennifer
      Hello everyone!  Got a real puzzle here!  Husband has visited with some on here by phone, but he is getting really frustrated!  Can anyone help us with this tractor!  It will be mowing fine, then start dying off and on at different time frames!  Temperature out side sometimes seems to play a part but could be coincident.  So he has put more and more money in this and not fixed the issue!  A list of what he has done thus far! 
      new Fuel line
      new condensor
      new points
      new carb
      new plug wire
      new spark plug
      Used fuel pump
      new coil
      new switch
      new battery
      new head gasket
      soaked it with marvel mystry oil
      soaked it with sea foam
      removed fuel tank cleaned and blew out
      cleaned sediment bowl. Brand new one is on its way
      changed oil
      all 4 brand new belts

• 67 WH 877
      By 67 WH 877
      I have an oil leak coming from my Governor (k181 8 horse), anyone know where to get a new gasket, or part # ? Thank You
    • BMW1
      By BMW1
      We added dye to the oil on a D200 to find an oil leak and discovered the leak seem to be coming from the bottom of the governor.  We recently purchased this tractor so I do not know the history of it.
      After removing the governor we found what looks like a casting flaw.  Not sure what else it could be. 
      One picture shows the dye and the other the casting flaw?

Any ideas what it is and best way to fix?