CasualObserver

My new shop

Sparky

WOW! And WOW again! 

Gorgeous shop! Great write up on how it all progressed.

How ya gonna feel when some old rusty relic looses all its tranny fluid on that beautiful floor!?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Ed Kennell

I'll add another   WOW.   

Thanks for the show Jason.

• Thanks 1

Marv

Darn, Too small already!

Great job. I love it.

Marv

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

Nice Jason ...real nice :handgestures-thumbupright: Thanks  for the :text-coolphotos:.

What is that about 22 x 32?? Couple of things I like and a couple I woulda done different. The lighting is real nice and what's not to like about infloor!!  Go with a tankless to run it, that's what we use. Any chance you put a floor drain in by the tubes for a drain for a high eff. one? Here there is no requirement for pressure testing the loops but we do anyway. Had an unruly concrete dude stick a shovel in one once and a run with a hole in in from factory. I woulda spaces the tubes a little closer. Then you can run lower water temps thus less gas use. For a shop it's probably not a big deal tho.

Is that a pull down stairs for stowing horse parts in the attic??

I woulda had the big door an eight footer. looks like you had the head room.

Now the real work begins tho....getting it set up the way you like. Air compressor & piping, sound system, wall art, stocked fridge...cot for when in the dog house.....:ychain:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

dclarke

Really nice, Jason!  Thanks for all the pics and the great write up. 

• Thanks 1

Shynon

Been there seen it, this shop Rocks. Looking good Jason:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Thanks 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

What a shop , love it. Don't see the floor covered in :wh:.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

CasualObserver
14 hours ago, WHX20 said:

What is that about 22 x 32?

24x36 can't believe I forgot to mention size!:blink:

Is that a pull down stairs for stowing horse parts in the attic??

It will be. Gotta wait a little while to afford that. Ceiling was supposed to be 10'  but I got 10' 6". Lower cost ladders stop at 10' 3".:unsure:

Any chance you put a floor drain in by the tubes for a drain for a high eff. one?

Yep... Plumbed in a condensate drain right next to the pex stubs. It ties into the floor drain. :thumbs:

15336013018695498312210768553272.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

SylvanLakeWH

:bow-blue:

• Thanks 1

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:             Jim took the words out of my mouth, too much floor showing,   need more :wh:.

• Thanks 1

CasualObserver
2 hours ago, Sparky said:

How ya gonna feel when some old rusty relic looses all its tranny fluid on that beautiful floor!?

Just fine since it will soak right up with some oildry and not leave a stain!

• Like 1

WHX??

Exactly the same size  as my heated  shop ... which is way too smal! Oh well we'll make do. If you like I can pm you on some infloor suggestions. Let me know you need help in that department. Personally  I would not have done infloor in a building  such as this. Once you fill it and lite it off it's like marriage. ....your committed to keep it running.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Daddy Don

I want it!!!!!!! Nice

• Thanks 1

Terry M

Very Nice Shop , Jason !!!!  :):handgestures-thumbupright:

• Thanks 1

RandyLittrell

Wish I could redo mine to look like yours!!!! 

Randy

• Thanks 1

r356c

Careful planning, solid execution, beautiful results!

The differences between Northern and Southern construction techniques are interesting.

Pex in-floor heating in the South? No.

Trusses rated for snow load rather than wind load... Hmmm... I've been told such a thing exists.

Foam under the slab? Transferring heat into the soil is a good thing!

Sheet vapor barrier is only required between a garage space with exhaust fumes and a living space in FL.
The prevailing view is to let the structures breath to avoid any moisture entrapment.

The words mold and mildew will strike fear into most FL homeowners hearts.

Gobs of insulation, yes. Especially in the attic.

Again, beautiful shop! Horses far and wide will be jostling each other to get in there!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

KC9KAS

Beautiful garage!

I haven't figured out how to get enough 11% rebate money from MENARDS to make my next trip free! :ROTF:

You put a lot of thought and time into figuring out what you wanted and did an excellent job!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AMC RULES

Far and above...  :bow-blue:

your typical magic :wh: shed Jason.  :clap:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

rmaynard

Wow. That is just what I have been dreaming of for the last twenty years. However, whenever the idea is floated, the wife always gives it a thumbs down with a "why don't you just get rid of some of your junk? Building a bigger building will just encourage you to get more". Well duh!?

Anyway, great building Jason. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

CasualObserver

Sincere thanks for the compliments guys. This has been a long-time dream and it's finally coming to reality. I've been thinking about doing this post for a long time, but wanted to wait until it was more complete and moved into.  Some of the highlights in the project...

-in-floor heat ready

-10 foot ceilings 

-attic trusses... Before I sheetrocked the ceiling I also bought and stowed several 4x8 sheets of OSB for flooring up there.  Figured it would be mighty difficult to get them up there through the scuttle hole! Not installed since I still need to insulate the ceiling/attic floor.

-driveway and backyard overhead doors

13 hours ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Don't see the floor covered in :wh:

Just wait, how's the old saying go? "If you build it, they will come!" :D 

13 hours ago, 953 nut said:

too much floor showing,   need more :wh:

I haven't gotten the others out of the back shed or shown you the house garage!

15 hours ago, WHX20 said:

I woulda had the big door an eight footer. looks like you had the head room.

I really did consider this, but in the interest of the budget and the fact that I don't need anything taller than 7', I opted to have larger headroom for storage over the door of stuff like those big boxes that the trampoline gets put back in for winter, or lawn chairs... less to see when the doors are open. Besides, if the need ever arises farther down the road, that's a minor adjustment... I already went with the 10' walls... planning for any future needs that the door can be replaced and enlarged with minimal disruption. :thumbs: 

4 hours ago, KC9KAS said:

I haven't figured out how to get enough 11% rebate money from MENARDS to make my next trip free! :ROTF:

Sadly I have. You have to write a real big check at one 11% sale and then wait a long time to keep working on things. I was diligent about watching sales and 11% weeks for the things I was needing. I'm really glad they let you use those 11% checks on purchases at the next 11% sale! 

Little side note here for those who might not know.... if Menards does an 11% sale the week after you bought something... they have a price adjustment rebate slip at the front customer service desk... but you have to ask for it, and you have to send your original receipt with it... not a reprint from the kiosk. You don't always get the full 11% because maybe what you bought was already on a better sale or something... but it never hurts to send it in. 

2 hours ago, rmaynard said:

with a "why don't you just get rid of some of your junk? Building a bigger building will just encourage you to get more".

Ah kindred spirits. Sounds like something I've heard verbatim in my house as well.

• Like 1

CasualObserver
13 hours ago, WHX20 said:

I would not have done infloor in a building  such as this. Once you fill it and lite it off it's like marriage. ....your committed to keep it running.

Yep... I know, and just like my marriage... I won't have cold feet! :lol:

Seriously though, I received lots of opinions on this, and it truly was a 50/50 split. What it came down to is I know that I want it because I want to be able to go in my shop at the drop of a hat in the dead of winter if I feel like it. I have two daughters who are rapidly approaching teenage years... I need the ability to be scarce in an instant. :hide:  Besides, I don't have to fill it and go with it yet... but the slab is insulated and the pex is roughed in because you can't go back and add it later! All about the future planning. :thumbs: 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Sparky
37 minutes ago, CasualObserver said:

Yep... I know, and just like my marriage... I won't have cold feet! :lol:

Seriously though, I received lots of opinions on this, and it truly was a 50/50 split. What it came down to is I know that I want it because I want to be able to go in my shop at the drop of a hat in the dead of winter if I feel like it. I have two daughters who are rapidly approaching teenage years... I need the ability to be scarce in an instant. :hide:  Besides, I don't have to fill it and go with it yet... but the slab is insulated and the pex is roughed in because you can't go back and add it later! All about the future planning. :thumbs: 

Is the concern that it must be kept running all winter to avoid a freze-up? I have no skills in the plumbing heating game but if it's a sealed system why can't it be filled with a glycol or anti-freeze type fluid so that if you did want to turn it off you could. 

CasualObserver
1 hour ago, Sparky said:

Is the concern that it must be kept running all winter to avoid a freze-up? I have no skills in the plumbing heating game but if it's a sealed system why can't it be filled with a glycol or anti-freeze type fluid so that if you did want to turn it off you could. 

My source on this is a relative who sells and installs these systems....  The system will be some water/ant-freeze mixture so it can go dormant if need-be. After seeing his done in his 30x60 shop I have no concerns at all.  The biggest thing about radiant systems is that temperature adjustments can take days to make, so it's not a system you just stop and start quickly... nothing like just turning on a Hot Dawg heater or firing up a Knipco... or just having a furnace running and bumping the thermostat up or down. But.... radiant heat is far more efficient... as long as the space is insulated properly.

• Like 2

mmmmmdonuts

Wow...what a fantastic job you did. Solid execution and amazing results. Enjoy your new shop.

• Thanks 1