The Gman

Looking at a Charger 12 tranny help??

The Gman

Found a charger 12 for sale near me. Standard rough tractor looking by the pic. Says it starts only on starter fluid. That's ok with me

But..... he's hedging on the tranny. (Auto). Words like "it was fine". Hasn't responded back since I asked him if it will run long enough to drive under its own power.

I don't mind fixing it but........ What kind of money could the tranny be costing me to repair????

• Confused 1

oldredrider

Could be a money pit. You would be smart to have it running so the tranny can be tested before putting any money out. If the seller is not willing to work with you, walk away.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

The Gman

I planned on bring a small gas tank and fuel line to hook direct to the carb. He's said it was the fuel pump.

Here are the two pics from the ad.

ad_1533593650947.jpg

ad_1533593646439.jpg

Edited by The Gman

pfrederi

If you have to pay to have the tranny fixed trust me it will be a lot!!!  More than the unit is worth.  If you are comfortable working on it yourself different matter.

• Like 1

953 nut
1 hour ago, The Gman said:

bring a small gas tank and fuel line to hook direct to the carb.

Good idea!   If it runs long enough to test the transmission and all seems good you have a nice parts tractor there!  There is no lift, the hood has been butchered, I suspect there is probably nothing very pretty on the other side. If you are looking for a worker just keep looking.

• Like 2

daveoman1966

W/H made the Charger 12 from 1968-72... That's 45-50 yrs old.  The Sundstrand auto is model 90-2046 (if original) and actually not too difficult to service, if needed.  The tuffest part is just refinishing the internal parts of the pump to restore the hyd pressure.  Not difficult, but time consuming to do it right.  I've done 8 or 10 of them over the years and have the same 90-2046 unit in my '72 Bronco 14.  To   do it yourself...with new bearings & seals...probably < a C note.  Here is a pic or two of the guts of the 90-2046 unit: I have SOME spare parts, if needed.

218 (27)a.jpg

218 (29).JPG

218 (30)a.jpg

218 (38).JPG

218 (42).JPG

217 (30).JPG

218 (31)a.jpg

220 063.JPG

Edited by daveoman1966
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 2

The Gman

Great assessment of what goes wrong and areas of damage Dave. Thankyou for the show and tell. I've never been shy at getting up to the elbows in it to learn something new. A "C" note wouldn't scare me off. I mean we would all put that and a bit more into a 301 or 341 to breath life back into a Kohler.

He was asking 200 for it and I got him down to 140 so far. He's gone quiet since I asked about the tranny and the ads been up for 3 weeks. I have a charger deck for it. Also a charger frame with all the tins and a good lift arm for not much more than a bottle of scotch (the good stuff) and a case of beer. Just didn't know what the possible repair costs might be.

This helps give me a ball park. Think I'll hound him (nicely) of course.

Thanks again

Gary

daveoman1966

Its your money but, if it was me.....  go for the 140.  It is, after all, only money.  ps...I see the hood is chopped up...I ahve a replacement hood, and a lift handle to fit.  Problem is, you're in kannuck country and I'm in the USA..   About 40m south of Erie, PA.  Buffalo is a 2-hour drive from me.

• Like 1

daveoman1966

It may be that the Sundstrand Hydro-gear 90-2046 pump and such is in good working order.  Once you get the engine running, the way to test is: 1) run it around the yard for 20 min or so...until it gets to operating temp.  2.) chain it to a tree and see if it has the power to spin both back wheels.  3) if both spin (has a 10-pinion LSD) it is probably good to go, without a rebuild.  4) Change fluid (ATF is pink) or oil and use OEM filter. 

FILTER 79-5270.jpg

• Like 2

FatJackDurham

There is a Charger-12 for sale in Vermont for $350 on CL. Not too far if you are on the near side of Ontario.

• Like 1

The Gman

Thanks for your help and advise guys. Will let you if he ever answers back. Might have scared him off.