Stormin

Ploughing with a drag plough.

Stormin

Number 3 grandson ploughing for the first time with a friends Raider 12 and a Ransomes drag plough.

P1020354.JPG.3bb5c0c11b8f2b12468ab11785b6090d.JPG

Edited by Stormin
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 5

stevasaurus

That is a calendar shot Norm.  Gorgeous.  Love that plow too.  :occasion-xmas:

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

I’d love to see more angles of those machines working the soil!

Stormin

Another photo taken from the rear.

P1020353.JPG.a011f0d3f5e43a0c493bd181ba1fed46.JPG

• Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

stevasaurus

Right Kevin...look at all the places to adjust that interesting piece of equipment.  :)

• Haha 1

Stormin

It had never been used for sometime. Getting it the plough something like took some time. Rusty pins and clips. Not to mention the blind leading the blind. I'd never used one before and neither had my friend who owns it. Was fun though.

• Like 2

farmer

Unique set up, how did it balance up when raised out of work? I’m guessing ransomes plough for a ransomes crawler, quite a test for a  wheel horse.

Nice. :greetings-clappingyellow:

Stormin

Yes Farmer, you are right. Built for a Ransomes crawler. Balances fine but the plough share is very close to the ground.

If you look at the second picture, you will see, behind the wheel, half way up a bar with notches in. One of those ropes is tied to a rod. Pull that out and then release it and that bar drops down and engages with pegs protruding from the back of the wheel hub. As the wheel goes round, the pegs lift that bar and that raises that side of the plough till it locks. To lower it, you pull the same rope and that side will drop. Anyone standing at the side should keep fingers well clear. (Don't ask how I know)

The handle on the left, looking from the rear, controls the depth wheel which is the wheel on the opposite side. The other handle controls the small trailing wheel at the end. That tilts the plough down or up.

Lining it up behind the tractor is done by altering the position of the draw bar. It's in three pieces. There's a cross bar with several holes in which you can move left or right. Another bar again with holes in, goes to the tractor and one more from plough to that bar with a pin in the end. The pin can be fitted in any of the holes in the tow bar.

That lot adjust plough left or right to suit the tractor. You can see them in the first picture.

I hope that description is understandable.

Edited by Stormin
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1