WVHillbilly520H

Another Horse Hauler?

WVHillbilly520H

Pulled the nasty filthy leaking (from ethanol) Q-jet carb disassembled soaked and put a renew kit it and back on, also installed new plugs and wires, performance distributor cap, rotor button and coil, valve cover gaskets and removed about 50 pounds of useless A/C pump and lines, next up oil and filter change. Runs and idles so much better.

IMAG4871.jpg

IMAG4872.jpg

IMAG4917.jpg

• Like 3

WVHillbilly520H

Here's the after clean rebuild pics...still the O.E. non adjustable emissions carb from '79 I need to get the pressure washer and purple power out and give it a real degreasing.

IMAG5003.jpg

IMAG5004.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

WVHillbilly520H

F.I.L has a couple of these square body C/K trucks and happened to have a seat cover laying around and I asked if I could put it to use, so at least now I'm not sitting on shredded vinyl anymore and picture of the "3 Amigos" plus his '79 K3500.

IMAG5084.jpg

IMAG5085.jpg

IMAG0618.jpg

IMAG4815.jpg

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Pullstart

Such clean sheet metal!

I’ve had a couple square bodies... or what was left of them.  That ‘82 long box was a beast of a plow truck!  Had long tube headers and dual purple hornies dumping straight down at about the transfercase.  A bungee cord was strung behind the seat to hold the doors closed!

The blazer had zero body mounts intact.  Once I figured that out, I finished the plow season with it, then parted/scrapped it out.  I didn’t allow any passengers, not even my 2 year old or newborn (who both frequented the truck before I knew how bad it was)

C3192C65-9BCF-4F45-AFA7-D439411F2A97.jpeg

A6E9C809-E664-4022-98B6-701940C65DEB.jpeg

24655D2B-2E96-4447-B4D2-227F3FD97389.jpeg

C6C0C5F6-043F-4360-AE4E-5BB608801DC5.jpeg

FD40D582-0E53-4D17-9419-0A00C1612FAA.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H

@pullstart, Kevin that seems the worse about a GM the body falls off but the drivetrain just won't die. This other one is hiding out in a garage nearby as well, big block under hood and it could be available 🤔...

IMAG0176.jpg

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Excellent 4

Pullstart

This is how I occasionally wash the ice worms out of my truck...  ya know, in my best efforts to keep it clean!

This super duty had 35” tires, for reference.  And don’t tell anyone I used to own one of those “F” word vehicles :laughing-rofl:

EE8D44CE-AEF8-42BD-AA4A-17208B31A077.jpeg

• Haha 4

Achto
2 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

that seems the worse about a GM the body falls off but the drivetrain just won't die

I worked at a body shop from '88 - '98, in that time I redid a lot of square body GM's. 2 outer fenders, 2 inner fenders, 2 doors, 2 rockers, 2 cab corners, & 2 box sides. Some times a tail gate & some floor pans. It was almost like being in the movie "Ground Hog Day" :D I still like those old trucks though and it is still fairly reasonable to put new bodies on them.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 4

Pullstart

Hmmm..... @Achto was your 88-98 stint of redoing square bodies GM’s way of knowing it was time to roll out another body style in 99?

coincidence?

• Like 1

Achto
39 minutes ago, pullstart said:

GM’s way of knowing it was time to roll out another body style in 99?

That could very well be. :lol: You think they would have thought of that sooner though. The '73 models were already starting to rust out by '77. Albeit '73 & '74 were the very worst ones for rusting. 

• Haha 1

PeacemakerJack

:text-yeahthat:it would be interesting to see where they got their metal from for those body panels in the 70’s!!!?

WVHillbilly520H
1 hour ago, PeacemakerJack said:

:text-yeahthat:it would be interesting to see where they got their metal from for those body panels in the 70’s!!!?

I believe it was the beginning of recycled steel and crappy coatings :confusion-confused:.

953 nut

While living in upstate NY where everything rusts, I bought a new '70 Chevy 1/2 ton. Put it on the lift the day after I bought it, already had surface rust. I pressure washed the underside and gave it a couple coats of lacquer. Saw the truck about ten years later and it was in much better shape than most. I think they wanted them to rust so people would replace them.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Sarge

We had an old square body full-size Blazer at the shop - used it to move trailers and such around a lot and other pulling chores. Tried to pull start a semi one day with it - when the strap took up the slop the body kept going while the chassis came to a stop - that was the end of that one. Took 2 of us about an hour to remove it's outer carcass barehanded, wow.

Sarge

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

WVHillbilly520H

@Machineguy, @PeacemakerJack, @pullstart, @Achto, here's the first load this old fella hauled since bringing it home, 2760 pounds of junk metal and plastic the F.I.L had laying around, went across the scales loaded at 10680 total, so around 7900 "empty".

IMAG5157.jpg

IMAG5158.jpg

IMAG5160.jpg

IMAG5161.jpg

• Excellent 8

PeacemakerJack

Put the old dude to work:tools-hammerdrill: that’s what I like to see!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19richie66

Always nice to make more room:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

Is that all you can get in there?  Sheeesh, my Colorado could tackle that haul!  :ychain:

• Haha 5

WVHillbilly520H
5 hours ago, pullstart said:

Is that all you can get in there?  Sheeesh, my Colorado could tackle that haul!  :ychain:

I needed your guidance but you were too far away, I was going load it up over flowing, but my F.I.L was done for the day.

• Haha 2

WVHillbilly520H

The scrap payout helped reshoe the rear axle...just got them put on this morning at our local "Wally World"...same brand as the fronts just a bit more aggressive tread.

IMAG5197.jpg

IMAG5198.jpg

IMAG5199.jpg

IMAG5200.jpg

• Like 2

Pullstart

I love a set of 215/85’s!  Grab you some tire chains and you’ve got a dozer!

• Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H
4 hours ago, pullstart said:

I love a set of 215/85’s!  Grab you some tire chains and you’ve got a dozer!

I think I have a set of army tire chains going to see if they fit sometime soon.

• Excellent 2

squonk

Didn't that Crochruster have the knock out plugs for the mixture screws?  Also looks like you needed $10 worth of vacuum line.

If I had a Dollar for every Q-jet I redid I'd have a bigger garage. :tools-hammerdrill:

WVHillbilly520H
4 minutes ago, squonk said:

Didn't that Crochruster have the knock out plugs for the mixture screws?  Also looks like you needed $10 worth of vacuum line.

If I had a Dollar for every Q-jet I redid I'd have a bigger garage. :tools-hammerdrill:

Yeah it has the aluminum welch plugs in front of the mix screws just didn't bother them this round, changed a lot of vacuum lines out while I was in there, runs much better than the day I brought it home.

squonk

How's the Quadra-Bog? I've seen guys adjust the tension on the secondary air valves way too loose thinking they'd get more power. Whilst the opposite was true. Again if I had a dollar......:rolleyes:

WVHillbilly520H
25 minutes ago, squonk said:

How's the Quadra-Bog? I've seen guys adjust the tension on the secondary air valves way too loose thinking they'd get more power. Whilst the opposite was true. Again if I had a dollar......:rolleyes:

No bog just a bit of a stubble and if indeed the original engine at 220k I believe it's a Cam lobe or 2 worn down, had a 79 Malibu years ago one of the best Q-jets I ever had no bog, stubble or hesitation from cold start up to running at operating temp, I am a firm believer in these old carbs when adjusted correctly on a overall good condition engine.

• Like 1