drewd

Spindle disasembly

drewd

Hi All,

I wrote earlier on my deck rebuild to work on my horizontal shaft WH.  Making good  progress on deck but ran into an issue with one spindle.  As you can see the key somehow came out and wore away part of the spindle shaft.  This is my first round shaft deck so I want to check before completely disassembling the spindle components to rebuild.  

I have two questions: 

1) what is the best way to remove the bearings, seals, spacers, etc. Use a punch to drive them out of the top or bottom?    

2) If I use a lock washer and nut on top of spindle shaft instead of one with Woodruff Key...…can I reuse this spindle?  Or is that nuts?WP_20180725_18_26_03_Pro.jpg.b4688b757f6f72d7273ac1abc4e01760.jpg

Edited by drewd

Lee1977

I use a piece of 3/4" shaft to knock out the bearings a blunt punch will work. Yes you can reuse the spindle with a lock washer and nut. You may have to weld up that area as it looks worn. Then have it machine back round or carefully grind and file it back round. You will not be able to keep it tight if the pulley is too loose on the spindle. 

• Like 1

drewd

Great thanks. I'll remove the bearings and replace what is needed.  Hopefully I can get the shaft into shape. 

daveoman1966

I have both of the bearings you need... 106 84 and 106085..  They are both new...  Also have the spindle shaft with a slightly work keyway slot.  here are a couple pics.  my email is:   (can't quoute price in this  section of the forum)

daveoman@windstream.net   

shaft 003.JPG

shaft 002.JPG