DotheDoo

Hood Repair - Need need Help/directions

DotheDoo

Hi everyone, been a while since I have posted. I need some help and serious guidence on repairing my hood on my 312-8 tractor. I had a tarp over it because I was working at my Mom's house and she has no place to park the tractor out of the elements. Well, lately here in CT, we have been getting rain (heavy at times) followed by sun and extreme humidity for 2 weeks straight. I have grabbed my tractor and it now sits in my garage, but when I pulled the tarp off, I have these large white areas just on the hood. I tried buffing a small area with a scratch removal compound for cars. Stuff you use on door dings and slight key scratches that have not gone thru the paint but it did not work. I am assuming this is really bad oxidation. Am I wrong? How can I fix this? No, the tarp did not melt on the hood. THere is no plastic stuck to the hood. Here are 2 pictures I took this morning. The white looks like a refection, but it is not. You should see solid red.  Thank you - Robert

20180804_104450_HDR.jpg

20180804_104503_HDR.jpg

daveoman1966

I would try some Lacquer Thinner with a soft cloth and try to rub the white gunk off that way.  First though, test the lacquer thinner on an obscure spot...like on the deck or something....to see if the lacquer thinner would dissolve the red paint.   

formariz

Like Dave said rub it just a tad with lacquer thinner to see if the white comes off.  Does that hood have a clear coat on it? It seems to me that it has and it just became damaged from the chemical reaction to the plastic on the tarp activated by heat. Lacquer thinner regardless how careful you are, it will start to soften the paint. I would use an auto polishing compound with a buffing machine if available. Or wet sanding with 2000 paper followed by polishing compound if it works. You are going to have to be patient and try a few things to see what works. You may just have to repaint it.

Even furniture blankets in a hot area will cause paint and plastics to have a reaction to the chemicals used to dye the blanket. I have ruined steering wheels like that. Best not to cover anything with any finish or plastics with anything that will have contact with it.

DotheDoo
3 hours ago, formariz said:

Like Dave said rub it just a tad with lacquer thinner to see if the white comes off.  Does that hood have a clear coat on it? It seems to me that it has and it just became damaged from the chemical reaction to the plastic on the tarp activated by heat. Lacquer thinner regardless how careful you are, it will start to soften the paint. I would use an auto polishing compound with a buffing machine if available. Or wet sanding with 2000 paper followed by polishing compound if it works. You are going to have to be patient and try a few things to see what works. You may just have to repaint it.

Even furniture blankets in a hot area will cause paint and plastics to have a reaction to the chemicals used to dye the blanket. I have ruined steering wheels like that. Best not to cover anything with any finish or plastics with anything that will have contact with it.

It's original top so never repainted. I was thinking of wet sanding with a soap/water mix. Pretty mad at myself for being so careless. I'll try the thinner first on a small area to see what happens. I do own a compounder need to get new pads though.... 

DennisThornton

Experiment on the least damaged area but watch closely.  I expect you'll need to buff if out.  Hand rub to start.  Watch the edges and don't buff through if you use a powered buffer, which I think you will need to. 

I don't think you did anything irresponsible but plastics can cause issues with paint.  A cotton sheet between them might have prevented this... 

Digger 66

What was on the inside of the tarp when you removed it ?

Looks to me like the wind whipped the tarp around rubbing the paint off and exposing the primer in those areas .

Hard to tell from the picture .

If it is in fact some form of chalky residue , wipe with Mineral Spirits gently and see what happens .....

rmaynard

Having looked at the pictures, I think you have a problem similar to what happens when you leave a water glass on a table and a white ring appears in the finish from the condensation. Condensation formed under the tarp and was unable to evaporate since the tarp was plastic. The moisture soaked into and under the top layer of the finish.

I would try an old furniture repair trick of heating the white area with a hairdryer.  Another trick we did was to place a clean towel on a tabletop and put a warm iron on the towel. The moisture under the finish would heat up and wick out into the towel.

• Like 1

buckrancher

use polishing compound and by hand slowly buff it out you may not get all of it  but 98% will be gone I have done this to a tractor I purchased that looked as yours

Brian

Edited by buckrancher

RandyLittrell

As someone who works in a bodyshop, I think @buckrancher and @DennisThornton have hit the nail on the head. 

Randy

DennisThornton

I owned and operated a shop for 15 years but many things have changed since the 80s!

You might try some heat but I suspect it would have to be hot enough that you would be real close to damaging it. 

Anybody know what paints WH used? 

For what years? 

Did they powder coat anything? 

• Like 1

953 nut

Dennis, i think it is just n enamel finish with no primer or clear coat. The hood om the 418 I just painted had lots of white tarp spots on the hood and fender and when I sanded it those areas had hardly any adhesion, paint just flaked off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

c-series don

I do know that in the latter years (300-400) series tractors the paint was crap. I'm not sure what they used but if any moisture got under the paint it just pealed in sheets. You can tell that they shot bear metal with paint that didn't adhere. I find this to be true mostly on the fender pans, but I'm not sure why is? 

• Like 1

DennisThornton

Seems that some newer models faded worse than older models.  I know the paint industry was struggling with trying to reduce the VOCs (still are!) but having some serious issues.  I just don't know any details with WHs. 

DennisThornton
On 8/5/2018 at 8:38 PM, 953 nut said:

Dennis, i think it is just n enamel finish with no primer or clear coat. The hood om the 418 I just painted had lots of white tarp spots on the hood and fender and when I sanded it those areas had hardly any adhesion, paint just flaked off.

Curious.  Would love to know more. 

dodge78

Same thing happened to my 418.  A  friend put a piece of roofing rubber on the hood when it was raining and the sun  came out shortly after.  I figured the trapped water boiled the pigment out.

• Like 1

DotheDoo

Been busy as heck so the only thing I have tried is Mineral Spirits...no success. Did nothing. Then I tried a automotive product for removing light scratches on your car paint by hand. Nothing. I have a heavier compound I am going to try next later this month. My garage is packed do to some work I am doing in the lower level so I had to move things from the house to the garage. I'll keep you posted. Thank you for all the input!!!!!

Chris T
17 hours ago, DotheDoo said:

Been busy as heck so the only thing I have tried is Mineral Spirits...no success. Did nothing. Then I tried a automotive product for removing light scratches on your car paint by hand. Nothing. I have a heavier compound I am going to try next later this month. My garage is packed do to some work I am doing in the lower level so I had to move things from the house to the garage. I'll keep you posted. Thank you for all the input!!!!!

Not sure if you would want to just replace the hood but I have a really nice hood from a 312-8 and it is the same exact year as yours. Paint is in very nice condition and the hood has no dents or imperfections. Message me if this is something you’d be interested in, I’m in CT as well