Digger 66

Last day in port

ebinmaine

Decent sized ship there, eh?

• Like 2

Digger 66
3 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Decent sized ship there, eh?

It's quite impressive to watch the tugs shoe-horn that baby around the bend in the river and under the (raised Ohio St.) lift bridge in the background .

The bridge stays up for 30 / 45 minutes snarling traffic in the process :)

• Like 1

ebinmaine
12 minutes ago, Digger 66 said:

snarling traffic in the process 

Ship bigger.

Ship wins.

:lol:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

squonk

Always look forward to your Buffalo pics Digger. I haven't been down in that area since last season's Bruins game. Hockey season is just around the corner! animated-smileys-sport-030.gif.ca63a3c1c9fa749a84761c4e758910ff.gif

Sparky
13 hours ago, Digger 66 said:

It's quite impressive to watch the tugs shoe-horn that baby around the bend in the river and under the (raised Ohio St.) lift bridge in the background .

I was looking at the pics and thinking just that! How does that massive ship squeeze thru what's looks like a tight spot.

shallowwatersailor

Happy Coast Guard Day! Chicago is probably not thought of as a Maritime port but actually has 52 movable with 43 still operable bridges. A part of Chicago history was the infamous Medusa Challeger (built 1906 and 562 feet long) that was legendary for snarling traffic and having bridges fail to open or close while transiting the Chicago River and its branches. I can remember a time being on the wrong side of the river while grabbing lunch when I worked downtown. Back then it was the oldest freighter on the Great Lakes until converted to a barge in 2013.

Medusa2.jpg.197b267dad93437c403c6318a09f4ec7.jpg

medusa3.jpg.ebb971475c310fc274a687c4e85ac8d5.jpg

05-StMary-06-15-tk.jpg.2e0f9f37759eda7281f4eff5f2e32f3c.jpg

Edited by shallowwatersailor
  • Like 3

Digger 66
7 hours ago, Sparky said:

I was looking at the pics and thinking just that! How does that massive ship squeeze thru what's looks like a tight spot.

It's dang near a 90 degree bend .

They back her up the river under the Michigan St. bridge then the Ohio St bridge .

She has to go past the black bridge in the pic to dock behind the grain silos on the left in the first pic .

Edited by Digger 66
  • Like 1

Ed Kennell

Where is the grain grown and where is it going?   I assume it is wheat this time of year.  

One of my most interesting cruises was watching the 6-8 locomotives pull the cruise ships through the locks on the Panama Canal  while keeping them centered with only a few inches clearance.

sailing-into-position-to-enter-the-first-of-the-three-gatun-locks-of-the-panama-canal-on-the-starboard-right-hand-side-the-locks-water-level-is-at-sea-level-in-this-view-panama.jpg

• Like 1

Digger 66
11 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Where is the grain grown and where is it going?  

Not really sure exactly where it comes from . I believe western Canada via the upper great lakes .

It's going to the flour mill I work at to be made into different blends of white & wheat flour .

We load it there in bulk tankers 50,000 lbs per tanker and blow it into the silos at various bakeries around Western NY / Camp Hill ,Pittsburgh ad Altoona PA and Cleveland OH .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1