pdisciglio

Ball Park Value 1957 RJ 35 Wheelhorse

pdisciglio

Hello,

Looking to purchase my first tractor and not looking to over pay like I always do.  I am looking at a 1957 RJ 35 Wheelhorse in real rough shape. It starts, from there it is down hill. It is in need of new tires and body work and paint.

It is a dirty rusty mess but I love it.

Can anyone give me ball park on what I should pay for it

Thank you for your help

Pat D.

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:

Two big considerations on value of an early :wh:. How badly do you want it and how precious is it to the seller. You already know it will take a fair amount of time and money to bring it up to your standards so the starting price is almost immaterial. Early "Pond" RJs do command a higher price than the more plentiful '58 or '59s do.

The engine should be a Kohler K-90 (some had Clintons) and the engine pulley should have a brass ring built into it that is used to put the tractor in reverse. That and the variable speed pulley are big money if they are not present.

Post a few pictures and we can help identify anything missing.

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

You are in the right place for help and info!

Good luck on your purchase!

Edited by SylvanLakeWH

jay bee

:text-welcomewave:  to  :rs:

rjg854

:WRS:  Can't help you with your question, but your in the right place to find out.  Some :text-coolphotos: will help in getting to that answer.

CasualObserver

First ... :WRS: 

Pictures would be a must for even remotely offering a value. Mostly to determine not only actual condition, but to verify the model.

There are considerable differences in models and values, and there are several models of early Wheel Horse RJs and Suburbans that are easily confused to a novice. No offense intended, but everyone wants to believe they're buying or selling the oldest or most collectible ones out there. By all means keep the location confidential so no one snipes it from you if it really is something you desire, but at least get some pictures or a detailed description of everything on the tractor, drive controls, clutch pedal (does it have one, what's it made of, what shape is it), brakes (if equipped), throttle/choke (where are they and what do the look like, what shapes are the levers or knobs?)

For an honest value from the people who are best suited to offer you an unbiased opinion, pictures are best.

• Like 2