RJR49

flush fitting for a mower deck

RJR49

New tractors and mowers have a fitting to hook up a garden hose. I'm pretty anal about only mowing when the grass is bone dry but I'm thinking about making a flush fitting for mine. I'm thinking that a half round nozzle with holes to direct the spray. I'm wondering if anyone has already tried it, and has some advise

RJR49

It occurred to me a few minutes after I hit send that Google probably has the answer. Sure enough there are commercial fittings available, as well as a home made rack you drive over. The discussion that followed some of the posts suggested that a high pressure stream of water would not only clean the deck of grass, but also clean it of grease. Good thought! I know the spindles on my C-160 are not sealed and would likely ingest water.  

• Like 1

peter lena

I think enhancing the moisture level on a deck (  with a flush down ) and then thinking you are done ,and then leave it soaking wet till your next cut , is begging for a rotted deck and bearing failure. I don't  know what horse you have, but  it takes minutes to drop a deck on a horse,(  excluding a 60 in deck ).

my 42 r/d., is very simple, I regularly drop mine, regularly  to clean out and get it in the sun to dry out and oil spray it down. unless you want mushrooms under your deck, you have to break the moisture / grunge cycle. most of the decks I see are junk , rotted, spider cracks, impact dents, zero maintenance, they are also expensive, its up to you, pete    

• Like 3

WHX??
1 hour ago, RJR49 said:

my C-160

He has a 160 Peter

My wife's newer at the time XL38-16 (I know I know a vertical shaft but I didn't marry her for her tractor :lol:) had one on it. I thought it was a good idea so I got the part numbers from the IPL and ordered one from Toro and put it on my '92 246H (I know... another vertical !) I use them almost after every cutting and don't go through bearings or have deck rot as Mr. Lena suggests.  Let the deck free spin after washing and it dries out quickly. I can change bearings in a spindle about as fast as it does to take the deck off.

It would better behoove me to quit buying cheap bearings or keep them greased as far as bearing failure goes. I run sealed bearings with the inside seal removed. The spindle shaft is bored and tapped for a zerk on the topside. Only problem with this is too much grease will pop the outer seal off.

• Like 1

953 nut

If I mow damp grass I lower the tailgate on my truck, put the ramps on it and pull the front of the :wh: onto the ramps. I wash it down and use a brush to remove hard packed grass.

Each winter the deck gets a good cleaning and a coating of Plasti-dip.     

Image result for plasti dip

• Like 4

Jerry77
3 hours ago, RJR49 said:

New tractors and mowers have a fitting to hook up a garden hose.

You can buy them from Lowes for  a few bucks...been using them for years..take the deck off midway thru the summer is all...does a good job for me...:twocents-02cents:

• Like 1

Tankman

Use the ramps too, same routine. Deck upon Horses each winter; clean 'n paint. New spindle belt if required.

Never had a problem with Hardee Kevlar belts. On the shelf at Tractor Supply. :handgestures-thumbupright:

During the mowing season, always vac top of the deck. Use CRC Belt Dressing now and then.

• Like 1