ohiofarmer

8 speed is out of gear main shifter

ohiofarmer

I thought that I recently saw a post on here about getting the gear shifter re-engaged after adjusting the dog bolt on the gear shift.  My shifter moves up and down in the ball and socket joint , as it were.

I have another transmission with bad keyways that is getting  refurbished with JB weld.  No time to do anything else and the tractor is just used for mowing anyway.

This is not exactly an emergency, but I will need to know how to fix the shifter problem once i get the dog to unthread from the socket. It is just one of those times when all the tractors in the herd are down and the grass is growing. I am supposed to be semi-retired, but more projects and work right now than I need.

Any help or pointing in the right direction is appreciated

pfrederi

Back the dog point set screw out.  Get the donut on the shaft flush with top of the case gently screw in set screw getting into the hole in the front of the donut.  get it in snug then back off 1/8 turn and tighten lock nut

IMG_0259.JPG

IMG_0266_LI.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

953 nut
2 hours ago, ohiofarmer said:

shifter moves up and down in the ball and socket joint , as it were.

Some of the balls are welded to the shifter and others are held with a small roll pin.

• Thanks 1

ohiofarmer

The picture in post #2 is what I have. However, the threads in the set screw are broken off flush and I will have to pull the transmission to get at it.. The second picture is very helpful in that I understand exactly what I have to do to get it back together.

You guys are the best

• Thanks 1

ohiofarmer

Well, I got the transmission removed and it was easy with the right tools. I have a 2000 pound rated lift table and a chain fall from the ceiling. At the push of a button, the tractor rises up to 42"  I find a comfortable height and break the bolts loose. Then just carefully let the tractor down after attaching a cable overhead to the frame, and fiddle with things a bit until we have separation.

Now a trip to the store for left hand drills and an easy-out. The dog bolt is sheared off flush. I have some pictures .for later.......

• Like 1

953 nut
4 hours ago, ohiofarmer said:

The dog bolt is sheared off flush.

May want to warm the "Dogpoint" up and let it cool before you drill it. They are hardened steel and this will soften it making the drilling easier.

ohiofarmer
13 hours ago, 953 nut said:

May want to warm the "Dogpoint" up and let it cool before you drill it. They are hardened steel and this will soften it making the drilling easier.

Thanks for letting me know. Now I know that a new one will have to be ordered that is hardened. Otherwise, I would have just used a standard bolt, I suppose... I wonder if I could swipe one from a wheel hub [if it would fit}

• Like 1

gwest_ca

That broken screw should not be tight in the transmission case. If it is rust and/or dirt is holding it.

Sometimes you can turn them out a thread or two with a scratch awl and that gives enough to grip with pliers.

Garry

• Like 2

pfrederi
4 hours ago, ohiofarmer said:

Thanks for letting me know. Now I know that a new one will have to be ordered that is hardened. Otherwise, I would have just used a standard bolt, I suppose... I wonder if I could swipe one from a wheel hub [if it would fit}

NO  The hubs have 3/8" for starters and are cup point setscrews.  Very different from a dog point set screw  also the shifter screw is 1/4"

953 nut

Here is a 1/4-20 Dog Point.     Ebay vendor Monsterbolts has them if you can't find them locally.

image.png.0db521a8396dccde733eb05f074d110e.png

ohiofarmer

Well, I forgot to report that the bolt is out and it did come out easily with no tools. My other manual transmission has bad keyways, so I borrowed thescrew and now the Raider is back to work. I put it on the trailer to mow another property and the 24valve Cummins went ten feet and shut down. The code says solenoid for the turbo.  I think what happened is the boost went too high and then the truck shut off the fuel supply to protect itself.

When it rains it pours. I am actually down to motorcycles as my go to transportation. I wish the Gold Wing had a trailer hitch.....