TC10284

414-8 won't run

TC10284

I have a 3114k804 414-8. I recently fixed the wiring on it to the ignition switch. I also had the carb cleaned and ran a new fuel hose. Put fresh gas in it. 

Turns over fine but won't start. The only time I can get it to start is when I squirt gas into the carb and it will run until it burns it out. 

I've also replaced the fuel pump with a new Kohler brand one. When I take off the hose going to the carb and turn over the engine, it squirts gas very well. 

So I'm not sure why it's not running yet. 

Does anyone have a manual for the carb? I'm looking for the correct screw rotations for proper air to fuel mixture and idle speed. 

Also, the carb is a Walbro brand. 

Edited by TC10284

953 nut

Download this manual and save it to your computer, lots of good data.

pfrederi

Here are the settings

Carb cleaning has different meanings.  To some spraying some stuff into the carb means cleaning.  In reality you have to take it off the engine disassemble it and soak it. 

carb.JPG

• Excellent 1

TC10284
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

Here are the settings

Carb cleaning has different meanings.  To some spraying some stuff into the carb means cleaning.  In reality you have to take it off the engine disassemble it and soak it. 

Sorry - By this, I mean the carb was removed, all parts taken out of it, all jets blown, sprayed down with carb cleaner. I remember the float was stuck but it isn't anymore. 

Only other thing to be done in regard to cleaning is letting it soak. 

pacer

My guess is its the needle valve - you say you have already had problems with it and from your description seems thats about all thats left.

I ordered a new needle/seat once, installed it and engine would not start and like you it would start with a squirt of gas into the carb. After fooling with it for some time I finally had to accept that float was sticking CLOSED! - I had NEVER seen that happen. Sure enough I got another needle/seat and  --- problem solved

• Like 2

TC10284
1 hour ago, pacer said:

My guess is its the needle valve - you say you have already had problems with it and from your description seems thats about all thats left.

I ordered a new needle/seat once, installed it and engine would not start and like you it would start with a squirt of gas into the carb. After fooling with it for some time I finally had to accept that float was sticking CLOSED! - I had NEVER seen that happen. Sure enough I got another needle/seat and  --- problem solved

Know where I can find a carb rebuild/repair kit for this Walbro carb that includes that needle/seat? 

gwest_ca

A little late but this manual may help. Click on the photo below and read the notes on using this manual first.

Garry

TC10284

Update:

I was able to get it running on its own. However, I cannot get it to go above half throttle with the choke all the way in. I have to have the choke out over half way for it to run at full throttle. I have tried adjusting as many of the screws as I can in and out, and it doesn't seem to affect anything so far. One more thing, it doesn't have a gasket between the carb and the block. 

Edited by TC10284

pfrederi

Lacking a gasket is a big thing.  Lots of air gets sucked in and leans out the mixture.  Do you have a Kohler carb or a Walbro Fixed jet.  You could make a quick gasket and see if that helps things.  Use gasket material or a manila folder...NOT RTV silicone.

• Excellent 1

TC10284
12 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Lacking a gasket is a big thing.  Lots of air gets sucked in and leans out the mixture.  Do you have a Kohler carb or a Walbro Fixed jet.  You could make a quick gasket and see if that helps things.  Use gasket material or a manila folder...NOT RTV silicone.

It is a walbro. Here's a pic. 

It didn't come with one. I need to order one. 

There are three screws I can adjust. 

0xJMryW.jpg

Edited by TC10284