Lake Delhi

New exhaust for my C160

Lake Delhi

I need to replace my original exhaust my C160. I have seen pics of some with stacks on them. I noticed that the header pipe is threaded into the block. What is the best way to break it loose so I don't strip out that nut? I'm not paying 250 bucks for a new muffler.

Thanks, Tyler

• Like 1

Racinbob

:WRS:

You might get lucky. I recently got one out of a 40+ year old K-341 without much trouble. Your block is 1-1/4" threaded with a reducer to 1".The 1" nipple is what you want to take out. Use PB Blaster or whatever you like and soak it for several days. :)

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 2

pfrederi

Stacks are not for everyone.  if you have trees etc.  Check out Jaybee's mufflers  They are high quality.

• Like 3

cschannuth

I’ve heard a lot of people dislike stacks because exhaust can blow back in your face. I have never had that experience with the stack that I put on my little rat rod. In fact it’s very short and does not interfere with anything and still I have never had any exhaust or fumes come near me that I can tell. I got my stack from Jim Kemp. They are inexpensive and heavy duty. 

EE5AC0B2-765B-41FF-8E73-5E28C5B582E0.jpeg.4406e57037280259a7fbe2ac876bd768.jpeg08EFCCC3-7FC0-495F-BB38-BBFF451E7119.jpeg.5c68db97bf1cbe8a73e406ea0c6b499d.jpeg0ADC5860-E6A7-4824-AD24-11706C9E201C.jpeg.8053f79e935e4b6bd78bbe5214f70f78.jpeg

• Like 7

ebinmaine

One thing we want to be sure to mention is that if your exhaust has any extra weight to it you should put a bracket of some sort from the bottom of the pipe down to a bolt or bracket on the engine or frame to support the muffler so as not to crack the Block in the area where the exhaust goes in.

Trees and bushes are definitely a concern for some. Especially those of you that use your machines to mow. We don't do that here.

All of the area that we put our tractor is cleared enough that my 6 ft + tall self can walk around easily.

I have a Jim Kemp Muffler here that I have yet to install on a tractor but it does appear to be very well built.

The stack on my b80, Patriot horse, in the picture is sort of a home built. I made it out of a cub 10 horse Muffler and a piece of chrome drain pipe from the plumbing section.

IMG_20180704_101042641.jpg.ac10875a6ecb139992922ef7b16430a2.jpg

• Like 5

rjg854
3 hours ago, Lake Delhi said:

I need to replace my original exhaust my C160. I have seen pics of some with stacks on them. I noticed that the header pipe is threaded into the block. What is the best way to break it loose so I don't strip out that nut? I'm not paying 250 bucks for a new muffler.

Thanks, Tyler

When I removed the nipple that was threaded into the block on my 16 automatic, I used a sawzall to cut it perpendicular to the threads of the block just enough so as not to cut to deeply into those threads.  Then used a steel chisel to crush the pipe and break it free of the block theads. Fairly easy. Then I installed one of Jim Kemp's stacks made specifically for a 16hp Kohler. 20180706_175043.jpg.cc45a816bb88feb8eed36b712691c666.jpg

• Like 7

KC9KAS

WVHillbilly520H

You could always go this custom route...i spotted this on a C175 Kohler twin, Jeff.

IMAG4754.jpg

pfrederi
5 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

You could always go this custom route...i spotted this on a C175 Kohler twin, Jeff.

IMAG4754.jpg

I think you would want hearing protection with that setup....

• Like 3

WVHillbilly520H
10 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

I think you would want hearing protection with that setup....

I personally would have used one for each cylinder but I'll give the fella kudos just for actually getting it that far without cutting up the hood.

• Like 1

jay bee

:text-welcomewave:  @Lake Delhi to :rs:  If you were to use one of my mufflers, you would only remove and replace the 1" nipple and leave the 1-1/4" reducer in the block.

Thanks @pfrederi  for the :handgestures-thumbupright: !!!

170120_002.jpg.0563a2d10b646283579795528720faea.jpg

170120_007.jpg.f4076a2a65218817685c7c4b494f374a.jpg

• Like 6

Lake Delhi

I’m guessing with my stock setup it shouldn’t have to change anything. 

01749576-B2A5-418F-98C5-2E859896743A.jpeg

Lake Delhi

12BB35AA-D606-4B78-A613-CF2122EF1EB2.jpeg

jay bee

You are probably correct!!!

Edited by jay bee
  • Like 1

Racinbob
14 hours ago, jay bee said:

:text-welcomewave:  @Lake Delhi to :rs:  If you were to use one of my mufflers, you would only remove and replace the 1" nipple and leave the 1-1/4" reducer in the block.

Thanks @pfrederi  for the :handgestures-thumbupright: !!!

:text-yeahthat:

I worded it wrong in my post. :doh:

• Like 1

jay bee

@Lake Delhi  Thanks Tyler for the order.  The muffler is on it's way by Priority Mail and you should have it by Friday or Saturday.  How about some pics here when you get it installed.  :wwp:

Thanks

Jim 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Muffduster

I’m needing a stock replacement muffler for my C-165.  Is the one above the best option?

tunahead72

It's an excellent option, contact @jay bee to see if they're still available.  And take a look at pfrederi's link above (post #3) for details.

jay bee

@Muffduster  @tunahead72      Sorry to say the tariffs that were imposed on steel and aluminized steel raised the cost of having those manufactured about 25% and that kind of put the end to that endeavor.  I wish it weren't so, but it is.  Made many :wh: owners happy for awhile though and that made it all worth the time and effort.   

It's been 2 years since you bought yours Ed.  Still working out OK?

Jim

tunahead72

I'm embarrassed to say I haven't installed it yet.  I have a whole list of excuses, but none of them is worth much.  It's still in the box, still on my list of things to do. :hide:

• Like 1