Tach-a-matic

New to me 1990 416H & Maintenance

Tach-a-matic

Hello All, 

This is my second Horse, with the first being a 1974 C160, owned from 1997 - 2004. A great tractor, I miss it, but got married and did not have the space at that time to keep it further. 

Fast forward 14 years(!) to my new 416H with 7xx hours on the meter. 

This thread will outline the catch-up maintenenance so I can rest at ease knowing its been gone through. 

The unit had been equipped with a rear discharging deck and put away wet it seems...

IMG_7134.jpg

IMG_7128.jpg

IMG_7133.jpg

Clippings trapped inside the wheel behind the hubcap!

IMG_7138.jpg

The air filter was not as bad as I thought it would be

IMG_7140.jpg

Edited by Tach-a-matic
  • Like 3

Tach-a-matic

After washing her yesterday

IMG_7155.jpg

IMG_7153.jpg

New TSC seat required 2 new holes drilled in the ratcheting brackets 

IMG_7152.jpg

The Onan looks pretty clean, right?  Hold on to that thought!

IMG_7154.jpg

• Like 4

Tach-a-matic

Looks can be deceiving because tonight, another sizable pile of grass was removed from in between the frame rails and in front ot the hydro unit.  Lots of nooks and crannies under the tractor right behind and above the lift arm.  After seeing all this and reading up about Onans here I took the engine shroud off. Glad I did...

IMG_7172.jpg

IMG_7175.jpg

IMG_7177.jpg

IMG_7176.jpg

This is what kills Onan's right?

Lots of vacuuming and blowing to do tomorrow night.  

Well at least it is easy to change the filter now!

Paul

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

cleat

Looks like you are going to have a nice tractor once it is cleaned up.

My eyes might be deceiving me but your front wheels look small.

What size are they ?

JAinVA

Paul,

Nice looking horse.It cleaned up well.The grass build up is one of the reasons Onans get such a bad rap.The rear cylinders over heat and the intake seats can get loose.A lot of folks here have modified the belt guard to increase air flow over the rear cylinder.You might want to do a search to see the mods that have been done.While there may be some who think these mods aren't necessary one thing is certain they make monitoring built up and cleaning easier.

• Like 2

Tach-a-matic
8 minutes ago, cleat said:

Looks like you are going to have a nice tractor once it is cleaned up.

My eyes might be deceiving me but your front wheels look small.

What size are they ?

I thought so too so just checked and they are 15x6.00-6

Tach-a-matic
10 minutes ago, JAinVA said:

Paul,

Nice looking horse.It cleaned up well.The grass build up is one of the reasons Onans get such a bad rap.The rear cylinders over heat and the intake seats can get loose.A lot of folks here have modified the belt guard to increase air flow over the rear cylinder.You might want to do a search to see the mods that have been done.While there may be some who think these mods aren't necessary one thing is certain they make monitoring built up and cleaning easier.

thanks.  

Seeing the fins covered up was quite the eye opener. She runs good and doesn't smoke after 15 mins of light running so hopefully no harm has been done.

I do wonder if it all could have been pulled out once the oil filter is off?  Will check others mods. 

Getting the shroud off without damaging the wires coming up from the flywheel was a little tricky - getting it back on wont be fun - I dont want to do this job again soon.  

This will be a snow machine #1 (it came with a SS that can I see needs a new chain and sprockets :( ) so it wont be knee deep in grass anymore

• Like 1

JAinVA

I only use my 416h as a snowblower and drawbar tractor to eliminate grass buildup. I use the Kohler powered machines to mow with,. I lost my c120 to a grass build up fire years ago.The sad part is I don't have a nice lawn and just try to keep the weeds at a uniform height.

Edited by JAinVA
  • Haha 1

cleat
8 hours ago, Tach-a-matic said:

I thought so too so just checked and they are 15x6.00-6

You should have 16x6.5-8

Pollack Pete

Nice 416H.I had one with a 2 stage snow blower and cab.Wish I still had it.It's really something the way lawn clippings accumulate on these tractors.Good part of routine maintenance to at least blow them off once in a while.Have fun wth your new toy.

• Like 2

Tach-a-matic

In looking at pics of other 416's there appears to be 2 sizes out there.  Maybe it was just a normal production variation?

2018-07-31_7-11-57.png

• Like 1

peter lena

you are definitely on the right track to get a base line on your grass storage areas, they are also great mouse housing , stay after them. talking about your r/d mower deck, that is another grass  trap that should be regularly scraped out ,and most importantly left upside down in the sun to dry out. too often neglected and never cleaned or serviced , destroys them fast. I also regularly chain cable oil spray mine , letting it soak in the oil with the sun baking it in to the hot metal.  (  just the opposed of the life it lives ) , I have no rot or rust , your tractor looks great, good luck with it , pete 

• Like 1

lynnmor

Just my two cents :twocents-02cents:

That nest in the engine looks like a rodent job to me.

There should be a pre-filter wrapper over the air filter element.

The oil filter is the short one, the longer one is better.

Be sure that you have the grommet around the oil filter, the long filter holds it much better.

It appears oily under the rat nest, those mounts tend to weep oil and cause buildup of air blocking grime. Replace gasket if needed.

You should pull the fuel tank, there might be much debris and rust in the seat mounts.

OK, that was six cents :twocents-02cents: :twocents-02cents: :twocents-02cents:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Tach-a-matic

tonights work

IMG_7179_1.jpg

IMG_7180.jpg

IMG_7181.jpg

IMG_7182.jpg

DONE!!!

IMG_7183.jpg

Tach-a-matic

gonna give these leds a try...

IMG_7178.jpg

lynnmor

Now that is progress!

Your tins should fit better next to the oil filter so there isn't a lot of gap between them, then the grommet stays on the outside instead of holding the tins apart.

Those LED bulbs might be the ticket, let us know how the work out and your supplier.

• Like 1

Tach-a-matic

I might have bend the tins some to get a better fit

Tried the new bulbs. They seem to be a dime a dozen on eBay but chose these because they were the closest...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PAR36-LED-Landscape-Bulb-9W-900LM-50W-Halogen-Equivalent-6000K-Cool-White/323370106103?epid=7011961495&hash=item4b4a5c3cf7%3Ag%3AhuQAAOSwtPlbW6wb&_sacat=0&_nkw=PAR36+LED+Landscape+Bulb%2C+9W%2C+900LM+50W+Halogen+Equivalent%2C+6000K+Cool+White%2C.&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313

bezels removed

new led on left:

IMG_7186.jpg

Halogen exposed, LED covered:

IMG_7187.jpg

LED exposed, Halogen covered:

IMG_7188.jpg

Both LED's installed:

IMG_7189.jpg

Paul 

Edited by Tach-a-matic
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Charles123
On 7/30/2018 at 9:33 PM, Tach-a-matic said:

Looks can be deceiving because tonight, another sizable pile of grass was removed from in between the frame rails and in front ot the hydro unit.  Lots of nooks and crannies under the tractor right behind and above the lift arm.  After seeing all this and reading up about Onans here I took the engine shroud off. Glad I did...

IMG_7172.jpg

IMG_7175.jpg

IMG_7177.jpg

IMG_7176.jpg

This is what kills Onan's right?

Lots of vacuuming and blowing to do tomorrow night.  

Well at least it is easy to change the filter now!

Paul

Heat is definitely  You're enemy  Key cook maintenance should have no problem

lynnmor

Photos can be deceiving because the camera adjusts exposure for the prevailing light unless you can set it to the same manual settings for each photo.  Is it your opinion that it is much better and well worth the expenditure? 

Tach-a-matic

IMO...

For an older vintage tractor the color and quantity of LED lighting is inappropriate.  

If improving nighttime lighting and daytime visibility are important this is one of the easiest improvements ever and well worth the $40. 

Edited by Tach-a-matic

Tach-a-matic

"You should pull the fuel tank, there might be much debris and rust in the seat mounts"

Great suggestion, it definitely needed it

IMG_7193.jpg

Changed the hydro oil and the filter too.  Only 3 quarts drained out so that's what was replaced.  

IMG_7196.jpg

And the seat strut too...

IMG_7195.jpg

Tach-a-matic
On 7/30/2018 at 11:00 PM, JAinVA said:

I only use my 416h as a snowblower and drawbar tractor to eliminate grass buildup. I use the Kohler powered machines to mow with,. I lost my c120 to a grass build up fire years ago.The sad part is I don't have a nice lawn and just try to keep the weeds at a uniform height.

I will relegate it to the same duty.  All that grass in the engine is a ticking timebomb for not only the engine but the house too!

rustyoldjunk

I believe the variation between 6 and 8 inch front wheels on the 300 and 400 series depended on the deck. If I recall correctly the 37 inch deck had to have 6 inch wheels for clearance.

peter lena

thank you tech a matic on those headlight bulbs, I plow and blow snow typically at night, for low road traffic , and those lights should really help, also on the good response of this tractor issue, I would  magic marker , oil filters , with date and hrs.', helping next service. I would also pre oil filter to lessen a low oil pressure start. pete

WHX??

Nice work goin on here Paul ...keep at it :handgestures-thumbupright:.

I did a thread awhile back on led conversion and yours seem much brighter. Check it out and comment if desired.