Sign in to follow this  
Dakota

8 speed input shaft bearing

Dakota

Hello everyone, while I was changing the oil seals on my 8 speed trans I noticed the input shaft had some up and down play. Is this normal or do I need to replace the bearing? If I do need to replace it, where would I get the bearing and how hard is it to replace?

pfrederi

There are two bearings one on each end of the shaft.  One behind the pulley is open and the other end is a closed bearing.  You will need to split the tranny but it is not a hard job.  Open bearing is B-107  ($4.51)  closed is M10121 ($5.87).  i would replace both if there is any up down front rear play.

• Like 2

Dakota

@pfrederithank you for the link! Would it cause any long term damage to keep using my tractor until I order the bearings?

stevasaurus

Running any shaft with a bad bearing is not a good idea.  You do run the risk of chewing up the shaft itself.  of course, it depends on how bad the bearing is, how long you run it and what you are doing with the horse.  These are needle bearings and what usually happens is one of more needles will fall out of place and start exploring the inside of your transmission.  :think:

Dakota

@stevasaurus thank you for the info! The shaft only has less than 1/16in of play so it’s not to bad. My axle shafts have the same amount of play as well. Is it normal to them to move side to side a very tiny amount or is that the symptoms of a failing bearing?

pfrederi

There should be Zero up down fore and aft movement in any axle or input shaft.

Axle shafts may have up to 1/8" in and out movement..that is OK

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Paul is correct.  :think: