posifour11

What's the best "horse hauler" to buy for temp use?

posifour11

It seems that we have finally sold our Missouri place and I have to move all of my project and parts tractors within 45 days. So, I need a good truck to bring everything to the new place. I have four vehicles (long story) , a camper and about a dozen tractors to move. 

But, after that, I'll just need a heavy half to tow everything I need. 

So, I'm looking for the best heavy truck that can be resold when I'm done. 

From the army days, I love a good diesel, but I know most people don't like the hassle. 

What say you?

ebinmaine

I'll get in on this one. I can't wait to see all the various responses.

What are the sizes of the four vehicles you need to move?

And what is the distance that these all must be moved? And we talkin across town or a thousand miles?

• Excellent 1

posifour11
12 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I'll get in on this one. I can't wait to see all the various responses.

What are the sizes of the four vehicles you need to move?

And what is the distance that these all must be moved? And we talkin across town or a thousand miles?

I didn't even think about that. I have a 66 Chevy pickup, 79 Plymouth arrow pickup, 93 s10 Blazer and a 90s Isuzu amigo to move. And about a dozen horses to move. Still working out the details on the 60s camper with the buyer.  All of this has 45 days from tomorrow to make the trip 4hours across the Ozark hills, about 200 mile round trip. 😀

Edited by posifour11
Clarify

ebinmaine

Okay so if you had a decent tow truck with a decent trailer you could potentially move each vehicle in one day. Then let's be generous and say three trips with the horses. Possibly could do it in two.

Do you already have a lighter Duty truck and trailer?

If you want to go big, my thought would be to purchase and older flatbed like you would tow vehicles with. Then resell it when you're done.

Otherwise, I think I would purchase my heavy half tow vehicle right now and get a hold of a flat deck car carrier trailer or a light-duty equipment trailer or something like that.

posifour11
13 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Okay so if you had a decent tow truck with a decent trailer you could potentially move each vehicle in one day. Then let's be generous and say three trips with the horses. Possibly could do it in two.

Do you already have a lighter Duty truck and trailer?

If you want to go big, my thought would be to purchase and older flatbed like you would tow vehicles with. Then resell it when you're done.

Otherwise, I think I would purchase my heavy half tow vehicle right now and get a hold of a flat deck car carrier trailer or a light-duty equipment trailer or something like that.

Sorry, I didn't think about the trailer, either. I own a 16 foot flatbed to move things on. It needs a couple tires and to be tagged in this state, but it's at my disposal. 

There are quite a few 3/4 ton pickups locally that would fill the bill. Mostly farm trucks.

What I was really thinking was to trade any truck I buy and my wife's car in on a new one for her. So, I'm wanting to get something a dealership would really want. If that makes sense.

ebinmaine
17 minutes ago, posifour11 said:

What I was really thinking was to trade any truck I buy and my wife's car in on a new one for her. So, I'm wanting to get something a dealership would really want. If that makes sense.

Definitely does. 

And seems economically sound.

Old farm trucks might not be a huge draw for a dealer. (What do they know... I love old trucks)

:P

• Excellent 2

posifour11

@ebinmaine, I'm a square body and older guy. But, I need something I can trust for a few trips and get rid of. Something perfect will show up. Life has a way of doing that. 

ebinmaine
Just now, posifour11 said:

@ebinmaine, I'm a square body and older guy. But, I need something I can trust for a few trips and get rid of. Something perfect will show up. Life has a way of doing that. 

Yep... Me too.

And you're right.... A little patience and good advice from the fellow Redsquare folk.

• Like 1

KC9KAS

Rent a U-haul truck & trailer. Horses in the truck, vehicles on the trailer. A few less round trips.

• Like 7

953 nut
1 hour ago, posifour11 said:

I need something I can trust for a few trips and get rid of.

32 minutes ago, KC9KAS said:

Rent a U-haul truck & trailer. Horses in the truck, vehicles on the trailer. A few less round trips.

:text-yeahthat:              Rental trucks and trailers are the way to go. If it breaks down they will bring you a replacement.

If you buy a truck you will have to lay out a bunch of money to title, register and insure it. That will probably be more than the cost to rent a large truck and trailer and none of it is recoverable when you would sell the truck.

• Like 4

SylvanLakeWH
1 hour ago, KC9KAS said:

:text-yeahthat:

Get the big box truck with a car hauler and you could knock it out in a couple trips...

• Like 2

WHNJ701

boy I just moved a few months ago, 7 miles, guess what was the biggest pain to move. an entire tractor collection and parts. I wasn't held to time which was good. alot was placed in totes make sure you label boxes and make lists, I had alot of yeah I will remember that goes..... and now a few months later it's where did that go.....

but the good thing was I cleaned out and sold off and junked off some too to free up space 

RandyLittrell

You just leave the 66 where it sits and I will come get it! I doubt its worth moving! 

On a more serious note, I work at a large car dealer and I promise you, you won't come out on the better end trading 2 vehicles in. 

Randy

• Like 4

peter lena

I think you are adding to the problems of moving, having been there, you want to minimize problems , I agree with 953 nut, rental truck is the way to go, you make the move, with out complications, instead of adding to them, Pete 

• Thanks 1

pfrederi

Rental  Do you want the DMV hassle of registering a new purchase then hoping it  will it survive several round trips. 

Moving is hassle enough  (28 yrs with Uncle I had some experience with that). When I retired we filled the Moving Van with more than the allowed 23,000 pounds .  Made one trip with my Sonoma towing a Small Uhaul trailer.  then another with a U haul truck towing a car carrier with my M-37 on board.  My next move is to the old age home....

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Pullstart

Reading the first few responses, I was thinking... Penske, U-Haul, shop around for a moving truck to rest and haul away... then drop it.  Far less hassle, and maybe cheaper in the long run!

Edited by pullstart
  • Like 1