Sign in to follow this  
Arthur England

520H running away

Arthur England

Newish to me 520H not running very cleanly. Manual suggests check plugs. Plugs incorrect grade and fitted with washers not taper seat. found second set of washers stuck in each plug hole recess. Got them repoved and new plugs ordered and fitted ok but no improvement to running so removed the manifolds and cleaned the carburetor. When I tried to start it it ran away to max revs and I had to turn it off for fear of imminent self destruction.

Checked on this thread 

and found that I had the governor to carburettor link in the wrong hole. Corrected this and restarted (without the air cleaner) and it now starts and goes to about 3500 with the throttle set to minimum. Governor arm does move but does not shut motor down to an idle.

Before I remove the manifolds and carb again does anyone know what I may have done wrong. The adjustable jet was I think set at one and a half turns out when reinstalled.

Cheers Arthur

lynnmor

Run away would be a governor problem.  Read page 7-5 on.  Manual

Arthur England

I did read the governor part of the manual before I posted the enquiry. I checked  and left it in the same hole as it was in the first place. When I removed the carb I left the arm attached to the governor so I know which hole it was in originally. The governor worked fine before I took it all apart,

Arthur

Skipper

Pictures might help a lot. Most likely something is not in it's right place.

• Like 1

Arthur England

I cant take a photo now as its about 5 miles away, but should be able to tomorrow.

Arthur England

Photos as requested.

Cheers 

Arthur

DSC_1267.JPG

DSC_1269.JPG

DSC_1270.JPG

DSC_1271.JPG

lynnmor

Be sure to plug the vacuum hose when running the engine.  The link runs real close to the breather on these engines, be sure that it has a bit of clearance.  The current position of the carb throttle is wide open, will it go against the the idle stop screw on the carb, as soon as it starts?   Does the throttle go against the idle speed screw, (the one near the throttle cable end), or does the cable need adjustment? 

boomers_influence

arthur

you DO NOT have the throttle arm correctly installed installed on the carb end.

also the spring in the governor arm goes to the SMALL hole.

please e/mail me and i will send a pic of the correct install.

boomers_influence@yahoo.com

thank you. boomer ( the used onan engine parts guy, also nOS and new )

Arthur England

How I should do it! Photo courtesy of Boomer. I will make suitable adjustments and retry.

It would also be nice if my motor looked like this. Mine is cleaner now that it hasn't got half the sump oil spread all over it.

Cheers

Arthur

P Emissions Carb Linkage.jpg

Arthur England

Thanks to the photo I have now been able to get the carb linkage correctly set up and the engine will now idle and rev out to max revs as it previously did. The down side is that once warm it is now hunting on the governor at higher revs. Looks like it might be time to renew the fuel lines, filter and possibly re-seal the intake manifold as well as clean the carb again.

Arthur