Sign in to follow this  
budman2

310-8 1987 wheel horse will not shut off!

budman2

I have a 1987 310-8 wheel horse that I have been messing with for about a week on and off, the engine will not shut off with ignition switch! I put a new switch on it and it still will not shutoff with the switch!  Is there anyone out there that can give me some advice as to where to look for the fix? Thanks in advance budman2

Edited by budman2

pfrederi

Is the housing of your ignition switch grounded? Check resistance form the switch housing to the battery - terminal should be near 0.00.  If the switch housing is not grounded then the M terminal will not be gounded out in the off position.

• Like 1

budman2

Thanks for the info, I'll check that out today man!

pfrederi

If your new ignition switch has a brass G terminal (6 terminal type) run a jumper from that to a Known Good Ground...You can trust your mother you cannot trust your ground.

budman2

Yes it is a 6 terminal type, Yes Sir I will check that also! Thanks budman2

wallfish

as pfrederi suggested, switch may not be grounded properly. Common issue with those.

I eliminated the intermittent ground problem by running a new ground wire directly to the body of the switch behind the dashboard.

• Like 1

budman2

Found the problem with the not shutting off with the key! it was a dioad that plugged into the coil modual, buy passed it and it shuts off now ! Now the motor dies when I try to use the pto! replaced both micro switches and still have the same problem! any ideas on that guys? This 310-8 is getting to be a pain! thanks for all your help so far guys, budman2

gwest_ca

Check your seat switch. It controls the ignition when the pto is engaged. Operator falls out of seat with mower going and motor quits.

You should replace the bypassed diode. It was added to protect the module from stray voltage which releases the magic smoke in the module and ignition coil.

Garry

budman2

Thanks Gary, do you know where I can find the correct diode? budman2

Lee1977

It the two 1/4" philips screws holding the dash panel are rusted or not tight it can cause the engine to not cut off. I've had that problem. Also I have had to push hard on the key when turning off the engine to get it ti shut down, that was a couple months ago. It's been working fine the last times I've used it.

gwest_ca
18 hours ago, budman2 said:

Thanks Gary, do you know where I can find the correct diode? budman2

At one time I would think Radio Shack but they have disappeared haven't they? Anyone that repairs electronics will have. Any small common diode will work but a 6 amp is larger in size so not as delicate to handle and will take more physical abuse.

Garry

budman2

Thanks Lee & Garry maybe I can geter done now! its been about a month of spare time so far working on this thing, never had this many problems with the electric parts before! budman2

gwest_ca

Found this. Click on the picture and again on the page that comes up

Garry

• Like 1