Sign in to follow this  
Firebug

D 200 wiring harness

Firebug

Does anyone know of a company that makes replacement wiring harnesses. I’m looking to replace 45 years of repairs to my 74 d 200. I’d like to find one that is complete that I can just plug right in. I know they are readily available for classic cars but I’ve never seen one for a vintage tractor

pfrederi

I have not see anything for D series....Vintage Wiring of Maine does beautiful work on Tractors and Military Vehicles...but he has to have a pattern.  Unless you luck out an find some NOS harness that was on some defunct dealer shelf... (actually of you did find one I would send it to Vintage wiring and have him reproduce it with new wire plugs etc.  after sitting for 40 years eh insulation would probably be very brittle.

Sarge

It's not that hard to rewire a tractor - the real trick is figuring out where the original harness was routed to avoid heat/moving parts. I research this stuff by pictures of original condition machines that have not been molested, which at times is pretty difficult. Using photos and the OEM Illustrated Parts List and wiring diagram - build a new harness. Still need to complete the one on my D180 - the entire thing was hacked from previous owners, especially in the dash. In the course of doing this, I plan to eliminate the amp meter and use a voltmeter instead - those changes are outlined in numerous posts in this forum on how to go about doing such things. One big alteration I always make is to run a separate ground wire to the voltage regulator case at its mounting points - makes a huge difference in charging stability and prevents issues down the road. Same with chassis grounded headlamps and such - solder a wire onto the outer casing instead of trying to use a hood/grill to provide a chassis ground, things will work much better and be more reliable.

Sarge