Cetan08

Saving a D-160

Pullstart

Nice work, and :text-welcomeconfetti:to :rs:@Cetan08!

KC9KAS

@Cetan08 :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:and :thanks: for the :text-coolphotos:

• Like 1

elliot ness

Welcome, you picked a great tractor to redo, I love the big old D's:happy-jumpeveryone:  I just put a new seat on my latest D 200 project.

DSCF0002.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Pollack Pete

Nice job.Every pic looked better as I scrolled down.Love the D's.Real bears to work on,but still love them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

RandyLittrell

First time I saw a D series I thought it was the ugliest thing I have ever laid eyes on, but they are really growing on me. Yours looks great! 

Randy

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Cetan08
9 minutes ago, RandyLittrell said:

First time I saw a D series I thought it was the ugliest thing I have ever laid eyes on, but they are really growing on me. Yours looks great! 

Randy

I understand. The grill looks like it was made for something else or fabricated at the last minute. I think they have that Tim the tool man thing going.

Some years back my younger brother put a Honda motorcycle engine on an old 60s Wheelhorse. One day he chained it up to a stump and when he cranked it up it just stood up on the back wheels and hopped like a dog on two feet. He ran it in a few shows and then sold it.

• Like 3

RandyLittrell

The rear wheels not being centered in the fender is what bugs me the most. If the rearend was back some and figure out how the ditch the tank, I think they would look awesome!

elliot ness
7 hours ago, RandyLittrell said:

The rear wheels not being centered in the fender is what bugs me the most. If the rearend was back some and figure out how the ditch the tank, I think they would look awesome!

The tank is what draws me to them. They remind me of long ago when my dad had bulldozers and a huge tank was on the back of them. 60+YEARS ago

• Like 1

Cetan08

Took it out yesterday to mow some grass for the first time. One thing is for sure, you need lots of room to turn it. It has one of the quietest decks I have ever heard. I am cleaning up the belt cover for the deck before I paint and reinstall it. I also built the parts I needed and installed the three points. The PTO shaft works good so all I have left is putting together a shaft to go from the rear of the tractor to the tiller. Hope to get on it later this week. Have to put glow plugs and wires harness on my F-250 tomorrow so I can clear the code and get the engine light off.

Thanks for looking at my post everyone.

IMG_20180827_140804.jpg

IMG_20180827_140941.jpg

• Like 4

Skipper

Looks good :-)

When you hook up your tiller, take care to adjust the top link correct, so that the pto shaft do not bottom out when you lower the tiller. That will do nasty stuff to your tiller. PTO shaft is shortest when level, and that is when the tiller is on its way into the ground.

Mine has only about 1/4" travel left when tiller is adjusted a bit "backtip" so it is really easy to mess it up. I have a toplink that is set tight only for that tiller to avoid Oopsies.

Just my :twocents-02cents: 

• Excellent 2

Sarge

There is a way to shorten the turning radius on the D's, but requires some welding and machine work - not all that hard. Look up my thread on rebuilding the D180's front end.

Sarge

• Excellent 1

Cetan08

This is not a WH tiller. I was told it is most likely a Bolens. I picked it up at a great price and it is in very good condition. All I need now is to get the shaft made.

IMG_20180906_132255.jpg

• Like 1

Cetan08
On 9/2/2018 at 9:04 AM, Sarge said:

There is a way to shorten the turning radius on the D's, but requires some welding and machine work - not all that hard. Look up my thread on rebuilding the D180's front end.

Sarge

I went and read your post. Very nice work. This is something that I will certainly do next spring. Thanks.