Sign in to follow this  
bo dawg

Coil good or bad

bo dawg

Ok I'm still having trouble understanding how to test the coil on the 1996 520. I originally had this posted in Engines under 520 fuel pump question.

I looked at the Onan manual on how to test but not sure where I need tester set at. So since I have another 520 1991 which is basicly the same I figured I would do a couple different checks with it to see what readings I get and compare.

First pic is on the 91 with no issues, key in off position, both leads in the plug holes. 2nd pic is red lead on + side of coil, and black on - side. Now 3rd and 4th pics are the 96 520 with issues, and same readings as previous 91 520 test. 

Now with key in the run position doing the same test, everything reads the same on my 1991 520, but on 1996 520, I don't get any readings.

Now when I switch to Voltage DC, with key in run position, put black lead on neg battery post, red lead on + post of coil, I get same voltage as battery (12.58 or so) and also same on the - side of coil. But on the 1996 520 doing same test, I get good voltage on + side of coil, but on - side of coil I get a 0.93 

So not sure what this is telling me. And not sure how might be a better way to test if coil is bad or ign mod, or condenser. I'm not real educated with the multi tester.

IMG_0973.JPG

IMG_0974.JPG

IMG_0975.JPG

IMG_0976.JPG

lynnmor

That 6.30 reading is double what it should be.  2.90 to 3.60 is the specification so the coil is likely bad.  Always check and recheck because you might have a poor contact with your probe.  You probably can find a cheap imported coil on the popular auction site.  Ground ( minus side) is switched on and off by the trigger behind the flywheel, so if the engine is rotated at all comparing voltages between coils might not give you an accurate comparison.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Suspect this is the coil you have. There is a test procedure there. Click on the picture to see it.

• Like 1

bo dawg

Thanks. I will go find another coil.

bo dawg

Is there a difference between the 1996 and 1991 coils? the older one PN is 166-0761, and the newer one is PN 71-6000

lynnmor
3 hours ago, bo dawg said:

Is there a difference between the 1996 and 1991 coils? the older one PN is 166-0761, and the newer one is PN 71-6000

They quit making the old number and the new number is a kit that takes some work to install.

bo dawg

Is there a trick to it? Ive never had to change one out like these.

lynnmor
5 hours ago, bo dawg said:

Is there a trick to it? Ive never had to change one out like these.

The Onan part had the instructions, the aftermarket part doesn't tell you a thing.  As I remember, you need to drill and tap a hole for the bracket.  You need the kit that contains all the parts.

Here is the instructions: Instructions

Edited by lynnmor
Found instructions