Walhonding520

Don't think I am crazy, but...

Walhonding520

So after mowing for an hour on a hot day with my 520h, my hydro temp light came on.  Stopped, cleaned grease and grass off and had dinner.  Came back later and tractor would not start.  Common so I giggle wires but didn't work this time.  Seat switch is ok.  Removed panel in front of the seat and cleaned both the parking brake switch and the motion lever switch.  Put it back together and giggled wires some more and it started.  I think I have a motion switch going bad so it needs replaced or bypassed.  I also sprayed some connection cleaner on all the connection behind the dash and cleaned the 9 pin.  This seems like a lot to get to the point, but I wanted to lay out everything I did before this happened.  

Once all done i finished mowing and my 520h is faster.  In both directions by a very noticeable amount.  I could be crazy but I am pretty positive it is moving faster.  I moved the motion lever while removing and replacing the plate but other than that, I did not do anything else to the lever controls.  the over heating is not common (first time this year) and there was a lot of junk around it.  I have always thought it was pretty slow, even when I was a kid and it was my grandfathers.  What did I do to unleash this long lost speed lol?  

• Confused 1

stevasaurus

Amazing...over 100 people have read this and no one has anything to say.  :think:  All I can say, is I have read this twice and I have no idea what to say either.  Maybe just...Enjoy the Ride.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

formariz

I don't know why but would like to mention something. Short of you cleaning some obstruction from any mechanical area that restricted movement and therefor speed, It makes me think of when years back with my Electro 12 after hours of plowing would be noticeably slower specially in reverse. It would basically barely move in reverse and had half the speed  going forward. After replacing the obvious components as recommended for that condition, (springs), it was basically the same. Entire hydro unit was then rebuilt, and it was incredible the difference. So, there is a possibility that your unit was getting too hot already for a while gradually decreasing speed but not noticeable since it was gradual. Once cleared of any cooling obstructions it may now be operating at an ideal temperature, and it may possibly need an overhaul. Am I crazy???????

• Like 2

Rob R

I have heard since I was a kid that a clean car runs better and faster...… so there you go. 

ol550

You didn't say how you cleaned around the hydro unit, but if you used  air to blow the clippings away you most likely cleaned the grass away from the cam plate on top of the hydro.  Clippings get trapped and limit travel. :think: :auto-layrubber:

lynnmor

With the hydro oil being overheated and thinner, perhaps that accounts for speed change.  Check the fan for slippage and thoroughly clean the fins on the hydro.  I pull the rear "fender" each fall to clean and thus prevent rust from the wet winter duties.

The no start when hot sounds like the ignition module behind the flywheel.  When you shut down the thing gets a hot soak then resumes working after it cools. 

Walhonding520

I am thinking that the cleaning the transmission so it works cooler is the answer.  At least I am seeing I am not as crazy as I thought.