Robertrueker

Govener problem with Onan p220g

Robertrueker

I have been trying to figure out what happened to the govener, I took  the engine off to adjust the valves, it had a valve seat loose. I tipped it on its side to repair that.  I then reatached  the engine to the tractor. I go to hook the carb back up and it's like the govener wants to move backwards. In my hunt on the internet I found a video of the exact same thing my engine is doing and posted a link to the video. Any help would be appreciated thanks!

Edited by Robertrueker

gwest_ca

The video meant nothing to me and I have zero experience with the Onans.

You realize a governor tries to reduce rpm and the spring between the throttle cable and governor tries to increase rpm.

As rpm increases the force developed by the governor also increases. When that force equals the force developed by the governor/throttle spring that is the rpm you end up with.

Garry

Kurt-NEPA

:WRS:

Have you hooked up all the springs?  The governor adjusts the carb throttle by balancing the engine speed against spring pressure.  Looking at the video, it seems normal to me. BTW, the manual has the procedure to set the starting point for spring positions.  Check the manual section.

Robertrueker

The thing is when I hook up the spring it now pulls it in the opposite direction it wants to go if I hook up the linkages to the carb it won't move at all

Kurt-NEPA

Any chance you could post a picture of what you have?

Kurt-NEPA

This any help?

onangov.jpg.29f486e58831b31452df6dd53d19322e.jpg

Robertrueker

Crazy thing is.. that was exactly how I had  put it back on. In the first place. But I thought there had to be something wrong.    I had the cable adjusted wrong so it would pull the lever but just would bottom out and not operate the carb.  I adjusted the cable so it can use the spring to push as well as pull. It's working fine now. Thanks Guys I was having a moment there🤦

• Like 1