posifour11

So, I married a science teacher

roadapples

Won't be a problem "If" it makes it to the tank....

• Haha 3

ebinmaine
Just now, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

You may have a bigger problem if she reads this thread.

:text-yeahthat:

What's yer name an' address?

I'll send it to er....

:P

Seriously though..... Run some hot hot hot water down the drain help?

• Haha 3

roadapples

I know someone, who will remain nameless, who has only the toilets going into the septic. Everything else goes into dry wells.   :ph34r:

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, roadapples said:

I know someone, who will remain nameless, who has only the toilets going into the septic. Everything else goes into dry wells.   :ph34r:

I know someone... In a similar situation...

Washer machine is separate.

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH
2 hours ago, posifour11 said:

She's the smartest person ever known. Almost half a dozen degrees and she's spent most of her life with a septic tank. 

It looks like she poured my whole chicken fryer full of lard and chicken fat into the sink.

Looks like I'll be getting the tank pumped before fall. 

Could be worse. We could have a garbage disposal. 😀😕

Now think this through...

She married you = smart

Half dozen degrees = smart

She cleaned up your mess = smart

She knows you handle pumping out the septic "thingy" = smart

Why would she want a garbage disposal - she has you! = smart

Seems to me you got a keeper!

:D

• Haha 6

posifour11
2 hours ago, roadapples said:

But, a septic requires a small amount of air to do it's job. Fat is going to float to the top and hinders the air available. 

posifour11
2 hours ago, roadapples said:

I know someone who will have a greywater system for everything that's built or changed from here on out. That same someone lives in a slab home and can't justify cutting the concrete to make things right. 😀

Edited by posifour11
  • Like 2

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

She married you = smart

:D

All those are true.

6 hours ago, posifour11 said:

can't justify cutting the concrete

But breaking stuff is so much fun !!!!

• Haha 2

Jerry77
11 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Washer machine is separate.

:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

dcrage

Tell her to mix the fat with generous amounts of dish detergent BEFORE putting it down the drain. The soap wiil solubilize the grease/fat (that is how soaps work) and should carry everything to the septic system. It has worked for me for 30 years. 

Edited by dcrage
  • Like 1

posifour11
42 minutes ago, dcrage said:

Tell her to mix the fat with generous amounts of dish detergent BEFORE putting it down the drain. The soap wiil solubilize the grease/fat (that is how soaps work) and should carry everything to the septic system. It has worked for me for 30 years. 

She thought it was a tiny layer of lard on top of water and didn't think about it. (One of our routines is to boil some water in a pan to release the scraps) it's all my fault, I know. 😀 I do almost all of the cooking since I retired. It's not her fault by any stretch of the imagination. She thought she was helping and I'm happy with that. But, she poured half a Skillet's worth of lard and chicken fat down the drain.

I'm just going to have to get the septic pumped before fall. Very small price to pay!l No biggie! She puts up with all of my stupidity! I still wonder how she does. 😀

posifour11
57 minutes ago, dcrage said:

We usually use the lard and fat to "sweeten" corn for the local raccoons and squirrel population to keep them going in the winter. The nuisances go to camp. 😀 We love watching them. 

Edited by posifour11

Jerry77

I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but I started using a septic tank additive to my tank every month several years ago...before that when it was pumped it would be mostly solids...after using the additive the last two times it has been almost all liquid...I firmly believe this is well worth the money to keep the septic field healthy..I am using Rid-x, but others may do as well..I have it pumped every 3 years...:twocents-02cents:

• Excellent 1

oldredrider

Baker's yeast works just as well as Rid-x.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

JAinVA

County I live in here in eastern VA requires the tank to be pumped every 5 yrs whether it needs it or not.If it extends the drain field life I'm okay with it.The missus never puts any grease or fat down the drain.I guess I'm lucky.

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 1

posifour11
22 hours ago, JAinVA said:

County I live in here in eastern VA requires the tank to be pumped every 5 yrs whether it needs it or not.If it extends the drain field life I'm okay with it.The missus never puts any grease or fat down the drain.I guess I'm lucky.

Mine usually doesn't either. It was a moment of not paying attention. We're due for a pump, anyway. It'll work out. 

I might amend this discussion to ask what you've done that the wife thought was a "no-brainer". I've probably put mine through more stupid than I could explain. 😀

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, posifour11 said:

I've probably put mine through more stupid than I could explain. 😀

It's good that you can admit that. :-).

I would like to remind you that as a person of the male type, it is your job to do stupid stuff 

• Haha 3

posifour11
8 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

It's good that you can admit that. :-).

I would like to remind you that as a person of the male type, it is your job to do stupid stuff 

Ha! You don't know the half of it! I spent 12 years in the army where she didn't even know the continent I was on, let alone the country. Since I was retired (medically), I've been a real pain! Even I recognize it. 😀

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

r356c

Besides grease, I have heard from septic guys that lint from the washing machine is a drain field killer.

One of them mentioned tying a ladies stocking onto the discharge hose of the washing machine. Filter the lint out before it hits the septic tank.

stocking.jpeg

• Like 1

roadapples
On 7/25/2018 at 6:41 PM, JAinVA said:

It's happening around here too. We used to joke that they would soon be taxing us to poop. Well it's happening....:bitch:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

posifour11
On 7/23/2018 at 8:51 PM, SylvanLakeWH said:

She married you = smart