chev0545

520 steering

chev0545

this was probably posted before.how do you take the play out of the steering?

thanks

JAinVA

There are shims under the base block that the horizontal steering shaft is located by.Removal of some of these shims and remounting the block will take up slack from the secondary gear set.There is some play between the primary fan shaft and secondary gear pinion that some folks will insert shim stock in to take up slack.There can be some slop at the upper portion of the steering shaft and it's upper bearing,causing the play in the upper gear set.If this is the problem it can be detected by downward pressure on the steering wheel while turning the wheel.If the slop diminishes then there is the play.  If all the tie rod ends are good(no slop) then the first two areas are all that's left.There are some good u-tube videos about this subject,In my experience even a very loose 520 is still better than most every old tractor I have ever operated.

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 3

608KEB
2 hours ago, JAinVA said:

There are shims under the base block that the horizontal steering shaft is located by.Removal of some of these shims and remounting the block will take up slack from the secondary gear set.There is some play between the primary fan shaft and secondary gear pinion that some folks will insert shim stock in to take up slack.There can be some slop at the upper portion of the steering shaft and it's upper bearing,causing the play in the upper gear set.If this is the problem it can be detected by downward pressure on the steering wheel while turning the wheel.If the slop diminishes then there is the play.  If all the tie rod ends are good(no slop) then the first two areas are all that's left.There are some good u-tube videos about this subject,In my experience even a very loose 520 is still better than most every old tractor I have ever operated.

You are right on the money! I did this to my 1994 520H 4 years ago. I think I had about 4  1/2" of play. I reduced it to around 2". 

• Like 1