Machineguy

Original patina or complete respray?

Machineguy

I’m on the fence about this. I know it all boils down to personal preference but I wanted to hear some opinions on this. I don’t really have any show machines and I plan on working my stuff. With that said, I really do like the shiny red paint but it’s only original once. Just wondering what the professional Horse wranglers on here have to say? 

SylvanLakeWH

Been discussed many times on this forum...

Really your call...

Both are cool! Mine was "restored" prior to getting it but it is a worker and I am letting it reflect that status...

How about some pics to help with the discussion? I am guessing you will get a wide range of opinions...

:twocents-02cents:

• Thanks 1

prondzy

Original i only have 1 restored b-80 it was grandpas (on left) other wise its original for me20171105_084304.jpg.082dad7243b3e55f78498ba5409b8b6b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Machineguy
20 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Been discussed many times on this forum...

Really your call...

Both are cool! Mine was "restored" prior to getting it but it is a worker and I am letting it reflect that status...

How about some pics to help with the discussion? I am guessing you will get a wide range of opinions...

:twocents-02cents:

I didn’t think to search for older discussions!! LOL 

The little 1969 700 I just picked up is pretty rough. I’d thought about a good pressure wash scuff and clear the remaining paint and patina. I think it’s probably just to far gone for that? IDK? 

8C7D2019-1FFE-4FE0-AA07-44DFD3631B21.jpeg

C5BF12F0-EF9E-4372-B95A-2428BEE5C2D0.jpeg

• Like 1

Machineguy
13 minutes ago, prondzy said:

Original i only have 1 restored b-80 it was grandpas (on left) other wise its original for me20171105_084304.jpg.082dad7243b3e55f78498ba5409b8b6b.jpg

That’s awesome you have your Grandads machine!! My Grandad had one and it got away from me. Thanks for sharing man! 

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat::text-+1:on retaining the original patina. 

IMG_7275.JPG.96591a54bb6f62e8637ae8a2574043e3.JPG

:confusion-shrug: That being said, no reason why...

IMG_0099.JPG.1a5a2d54be7630a106b028d0aff3f1ca.JPG

you can't clean 'em up, and make 'em glow.   :handgestures-thumbsup:

IMG_7339.thumb.JPG.6e5149fda0f99025640165ef39c16616.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

Machineguy
30 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

:text-yeahthat::text-+1:on retaining the original patina. 

IMG_7275.JPG.96591a54bb6f62e8637ae8a2574043e3.JPG

:confusion-shrug: That being said, no reason why...

IMG_0099.JPG.1a5a2d54be7630a106b028d0aff3f1ca.JPG

you can't clean 'em up, and make 'em glow.   :handgestures-thumbsup:

IMG_7339.thumb.JPG.6e5149fda0f99025640165ef39c16616.JPG

Those are sweet! 

• Like 2

AMC RULES

:rolleyes:  All of images above are of the same tractor.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

• Haha 1

oliver2-44

I like them both ways. It looks like Your 700 would clean up nicely with a wet sand then a couple of coats of clear

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chris G

I like the method of cleaning them up well saving the patina and use new paint for the custom builds But as stated it really goes down to your preference.

IMG_20170518_124811669.jpg

Edited by Chris G
  • Excellent 1

Machineguy

Thanks for the feedback everyone. After the pics and comments I’ve decided. I think I’ll do the smart thing and try the scuffing and clear coated patina look first. If I don’t like it, blast everything and repaint. 

• Like 1

Machineguy
12 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

:rolleyes:  All of images above are of the same tractor.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

All you guys have so many red machines it’s easy to miss stuff like that if you don’t pay attention! 

Pullstart

At the big show @stevebo taught me how to wet sand and buff paint.  I think he has a before picture, but that’s how the 656 got it’s name “The Polished Turd”. (He) we really made that thing pop in just a couple hours’ time.  Hopefully you can see the hood shine in this pic, it’s the one I’m driving.  My kids and wife run the reliable Kohlers :P

AD7885E9-824F-4EE3-BE4A-A71A3D30D00B.jpeg

A085ED48-83E2-4971-81F0-7D79945BC2B9.jpeg

Edited by pullstart
Added pic
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1

19richie66

:text-yeahthat:I watched them do it. You can polish a turd. Also, a nice set of painted rims and nice or new tires will completely change the look of a tractor. Add a nice seat and run it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Machineguy
6 hours ago, pullstart said:

At the big show @stevebo taught me how to wet sand and buff paint.  I think he has a before picture, but that’s how the 656 got it’s name “The Polished Turd”. (He) we really made that thing pop in just a couple hours’ time.  Hopefully you can see the hood shine in this pic, it’s the one I’m driving.  My kids and wife run the reliable Kohlers :P

AD7885E9-824F-4EE3-BE4A-A71A3D30D00B.jpeg

A085ED48-83E2-4971-81F0-7D79945BC2B9.jpeg

That’s cool the whole family joins in! Unfortunately I’m the only one at the party in my house. Looks like fun! 

Edited by Machineguy
  • Like 1

Pullstart

It helps to have at least one for everyone!

• Like 2

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:              With the amount of paint remaining on yours I would wet sand lightly with 600 Wet/Dry and then compound and polishing compound. If you clear coat it the patina seems to go away, not enough texture in the rough spots.

• Thanks 1