farmer

Bit of a sad day

farmer

These two came at Easter as weaners (6 weeks), never kept pigs before at the farm or in the garden and I have to say, I’m gonna miss ‘em. 

I know I’ll console myself with a freezer full of meat, but they are fun to have around. Today was setting up the trailer and getting them used to it ready for their date with destiny tomorrow morning. :mellow::)

8B96C61D-DFF2-48A9-B8E2-10F031C36941.jpeg.e9520c49e331c4ea9cad5955fd791270.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

953 nut

So long Bacon and Pork Chop!    Been good knowing you, see you at breakfast.             

• Like 4

AMC RULES

I see a Wheel-Horse at the ready...

to put them out to pasture too.  :greetings-wavingyellow:

• Like 3

SylvanLakeWH

There's room for all of God's creatures...right next to the toast and jam! :twocents-02cents:

From my 4H years with the kids I came to appreciate pigs - they are smarter than a lot of their barnyard friends - especially sheep - which my kids raised for 4H. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Stormin

Very useful animals are pigs. You can use every part for something. There's only two things you can't use. The curl in their tail and their squeal.

If they could fly, the price of bacon would go up. :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

stevasaurus

Farmer, I have to tell you.  In one way or another, I have been around pigs all my life.  I can smell a pig farm from 5 miles away...and it is one of my favorite smells.  I know they can become pets and it is then hard to put them down.  With that in mind, I sympathize with what your are going through.  On the other hand...my favorite breakfast is bacon & eggs with peanut & jelly toast and orange juice.

My prayers are with those that have befriended the little porketts.  You might get a kick out of this.  When my brother and I were around 5 or 6, the family would spend a week or two up on my Dad's Cousins farm in Almena, Wisconsin.  It was a dairy farm, but they raised pigs also.  They had this little pig house with a small opening on the far end into the pen.  In the early morning, my brother and I would sneak up on the pig house...and then rush in, screaming and yelling.  The little piglets would just scramble and jump all over each other trying to get out of that little hole into the pen.  My brother and I would be rolling on the floor with laughter.  It was like "Leave It to Beaver"...we would get yelled at and told to knock it off...but now that I look back on it, I think the adults in the room were smiling after yelling at us.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3

meadowfield

mmmmmmm.... bacon :)

• Like 2

Pullstart

I am. Trying to convince my wife that we should raise and slaughter our own pigs.  The way I see it, we could raise two pigs for the pric of one going to the slaughter house.  She says she wouldn’t be able to process an animal that she raised.  We’ll see in time!

• Like 3

BOB ELLISON

I love pigs. Especially at breakfast. When I was a kid my uncle had pigs and me and my cousin would go out back and we would throw corn at them. He got the ideal if we took corn cobs and put needles in the end of them and feathers we can make darts. So I made one and  threw it at a big Sow  and it's stuck her right in the butt. I looked up and here comes my uncle and it's a good thing he walks slow. just as he cleared the barn that dart fell out. Never done that again cuz I knew he would half kill me if he caught me doing that.

Edited by BOB ELLISON
  • Haha 2

953 nut
8 hours ago, pullstart said:

I am. Trying to convince my wife that we should raise and slaughter our own pigs.  The way I see it, we could raise two pigs for the pric of one going to the slaughter house.  She says she wouldn’t be able to process an animal that she raised.  We’ll see in time!

Lot of good life lessons for the kids, we all had 4-H projects involving animals and gardens. Most of the animals we raised were sold at auction at the County Fair and we kept records of our expenses. After repaying my parents I would have a little spending money. We always had chickens and I had geese (don't do that) and milk goats. We raised a pig along with another 4-H member at his house, my mother had no problem with other animals, but didn't want a pig pen at home. She did like the pork chops and roast though.

We struck a deal with the processor, he kept the hams in exchange for cutting up and freezing the rest, good deal. We even smoked our own bacon, a bit more work than I had expected as we had to build a make-shift smoke house first and then tend the fire several times a day.

• Like 1

posifour11

Take solace in the fact that you gave them a better life than most pigs. Piggies and goats are my favorite farm animals. I miss having them both. 

Dakota8338
On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 7:06 AM, pullstart said:

You certainly know what you are eating, when you raise your own livestock, and not eating that which has been injected with growth hormones and antibiotics its entire life.  And that goes for poultry, turkeys, swine, beef, goats, & sheep.

• Like 3

Mikey the Monkey

I think it's a bit of a stretch to say farm animals are injected with growth hormones and antibiotics it's whole life. There are very strict rules and testing to make sure there is no antibiotic residue in any food you buy at any store. 

• Like 1

Dakota8338
On 9/9/2018 at 4:50 AM, Mikey the Monkey said:

I think it's a bit of a stretch to say farm animals are injected with growth hormones and antibiotics it's whole life. There are very strict rules and testing to make sure there is no antibiotic residue in any food you buy at any store. 

Yes there are, and they get reduced more and more all the time. 

I did research for a major Land Grant University early in my career.  One of my supervisors was a great friend with a local dairyman, and he went to visit his friend one afternoon.  He walked into the milk room to see his friends son spitting into the milk.  My colleague asked the young man didn't he know people drank that milk?  The boy replied, "I don't, and walked out of the milk room."  Another colleague told me of an incident that happened to him personally.  When in college he worked at the college/university dairy where he was taking classes.  He went to collect a sample of milk for laboratory testing and did not remove his pens from his shirt pocket, which naturally fell into the bulk storage tank which was about half full.  He stripped to his waist and had a buddy hold his ankles while he was diving to retrieve the items from his shirt pocked, to avoid burning up the pump, when the milk would be picked up.  Both tanks of milk should have been dumped, but neither was.  That sir, is not even the tip of the iceberg!

Later, I spent 29 years of my working life as a food & drug compliance officer.  I have a daughter that is a USDA Veterinarian today.

The real world, is totally different from what should and is supposed to be.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Mikey the Monkey

I don't think pens or human spit counts as antibiotics or human growth hormones. The pasteurization process would have taken care of any bad bacteria on the pen or from the lab technicians body.

• Thanks 1

6wheeler

Just found this. Farmer. After having that home grown pork? Are you raising the freezer replacements now? I haven't raised pigs in 25 years. They were the one critter we raised that I didn't like having. I used to call them, "Self Propelled Bacon". MTM. There are many different "growth" and "production" enhancers being used. Some are injectables . Others are oral. Even if  an operation doesn't use these products? There is a good chance that the feed they buy will still have some sort of  gmo type grain in them. Most of the antibiotics we used were injected within the first week after being born and then no more for beef or pigs. But, for Dairy cattle? It depended on if the cow got sick during her milking life. If a cow got an injection? The only regulations? The milk could not be used for 14 days. She still got milked (with a separate milker from the other cows) and the milk was dumped out.

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

Hog jowls and.pigs feet!!! Mmmm!!

Edited by The Tool Crib

953 nut
On 5/6/2019 at 8:57 PM, Dakota8338 said:

Both tanks of milk should have been dumped, but neither was.

That is why we Pasteurize milk!  I was raised on a dairy farm long before milking parlors and bulk systems existed, to my knowledge no one died from consuming milk back then.

• Like 2