chucksterock

Electric lift strength and travel

chucksterock

I am using a cultivator to break up the rough grade around my house in order to use the grader blade to move the dirt (clay) where it needs to be.  I am using a 520-8 with an electric lift and it's a little disappointing.  It's lift travel seems short and not all that strong.  Is that the case with these?  I need to be able to lift the cultivator free of the ground to change direction and stuff, while also letting it dig in.  There doesn't seem to be enough travel for that and when I put some weight on the cultivator so it can bite into the clay, the lift really struggles.  Is the electric lift good for more than the mower deck?  Or do I need to rig up a small electric winch to get the travel and capacity I want?

rjbaldwin51

I'm not sure about your exact application but there many electric linear actuators available on ebay.  They come in all lengths and capacities.  I have used them on several attachments I have made with good results.  They may be on the slow side but work well.  I use DPDT toggle switches prewired for reversing DC motors from Del City Electric.  I added a fused circuit (520H) to the existing fuse block to run them.  Parts also from Del City.  Hope that helps.

Bob

• Thanks 1

Jerry77

It just may not be up to the task...I have one on my 516 that was a wheel horse accessory .  It depends on which hole you use on the rock shaft as to how high it  will go.. I have mine set up for plowing snow..with the  blade on- I can stand on it and it will lift me (200lbs )  and the blade ok  don't think it could handle any more.:twocents-02cents:

chucksterock

I figured out it was a geometry problem, though I think the first problem was the slot hitch I was using for the cultivator wasn't really a match for the 520-8.  I made an extension for the lifting arm on the slot hitch to better align with the chain coming off of the rock shaft though the first version did try to dig into the fuel tank.  The final version was a short piece of inch and a quarter angle with some creative grinding using my 4 1/4 angle grinder.  Now it easily lifts the cultivator with weights on it over the range I need.  Spent a bunch of time playing in the dirt yesterday.

• Like 1