JP56

Just got a 1988 312-8

JP56

Just got a 1988 312-8. No markings on the deck, but I know from what the seller told me and also from other decks I have seen, that the deck is from an older horse. I had been using a 1974 C until the other day when mowing, I went to change from forward to reverse and the shifter lever just came out of the trans mission into my hand! Anyway, I am trying to locate a Service/Repair manual for the 312-8. Anyone able to point me to where I can find a downloadable PDF copy? I have already found the electrical & parts manuals for it and now just need a service/repair guide.

Thanks

Achto
4 hours ago, JP56 said:

I went to change from forward to reverse and the shifter lever just came out of the trans mission into my hand!

You should be able to put that back in. Make sure that your shift forks are aligned in the neutral position. Adjust the set screw for it & you'll be good to go.

953 nut

image.png.753fb1ab71d2e9958f98ed613ecd6515.png

If your shift lever comes out of the transmission or is stuck in one gear first back out the “Dog-point” screw that retained the shifter. Take a look in the hole the shifter came out of to be sure it is in neutral as shown above.

image.png.a5c958ee953bb35e5f04af9b6d8844d8.png

Inspect the dog-point to be sure it is in good condition and back off on the locking nut a couple of turns. Insert the shifter and run the dog-point into the dimple in the shift lever collar snugging it up with an allen wrench, don’t tighten it. Be sure the shifter works smoothly then tighten the lock nut while holding the dog-point steady with the allen wrench.

• Like 6
  • Excellent 3

SylvanLakeWH

:wwp:

• Like 1

JP56
On 7/21/2018 at 1:29 PM, Achto said:

You should be able to put that back in. Make sure that your shift forks are aligned in the neutral position. Adjust the set screw for it & you'll be good to go.

Achto & 953 Nut, thanks for the info ! 953Nut, It was that set bolt that holds the shaft bearing into the hole. It actually had stress fractured where it was a smaller diameter where it meets the threads. I took a grade 8 1/4 x 20 bolt, machined the threads down at the end of the bolts, until the diameter was thin enough and just long enough to bottom out in the collar hole, left the hex head on the other end and used a double 1/4 x 20 nut set for locking it into place! It was so loose after the end snapped off, I was able to unscrew it w my finger tips ^ the smooth end was just lying in the threaded hole & had to be pushed out with a pin. Thanks for the great pics!

• Like 1