Sethd31

First wheel horse purchase.. need some knowledge!

Sethd31

Just purchased my first wheel horse and the previous owner says it's a 1964 1045. I've done a lot of research and seems this forum has the most Info across the board. Can anyone help with the identity of this WH

20180719_184124.jpg

Screenshot_20180714-200037_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20180714-200107_Facebook.jpg

Edited by Sethd31
Upload photos
  • Excellent 3

rmaynard

Look under the dash where the arrow is pointing for the model ID tag.

Also, the 1045 should have individual round rear fenders.

Post some more pictures if you could.

and Welcome... :WRS:

image.png.82f39b2b7863ab66351e7085fda58b1b.png

Sethd31

It does have individual round fenders. I looked all over under the dash and found no model ID tag 😟 perhaps it was removed or painted over..

Sparky

The seller was close, it's a 1965.

Other than the wrong seat it looks great! You even have the original front tires :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:

Your 1045 even has the hard to find original front tires! It is sort of a crossover model that retained the rear fenders from previous years but incorporated the "new" square hood. Very nice find.      :text-coolphotos:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sparky

Here's what you have including the numbers that should be on the motor if it's original: 

1045 / 1965 Lawn & Garden Tractor 1045 4-Speed Kohler K241AS-46219A 10 Wheel Horse 5025

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sethd31
9 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

Look under the dash where the arrow is pointing for the model ID tag.

Also, the 1045 should have individual round rear fenders.

Post some more pictures if you could.

and Welcome... :WRS:

image.png.82f39b2b7863ab66351e7085fda58b1b.png

1 minute ago, Sparky said:

The seller was close, it's a 1965.

Other than the wrong seat it looks great! You even have the original front tires :handgestures-thumbupright:

Currently trying to find an original pan seat

20180719_184219.jpg

20180719_184202.jpg

• Excellent 3

953 nut

This manual should be handy to have.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Sethd31

Also came with 40" snow blade and mower deck.. deck needs some bolts and blades.. all in all for $300 I'm super happy and she runs like a top!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

953 nut
4 minutes ago, Sethd31 said:

$300 I'm super happy and she runs like a top

Image result for you done good

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

AMC RULES

welcomewagon.gif.f1f3fd66fb8a73aff22ab8b4eb5895d6.gif5b514075ad37c_righthorse2.png.4e4cf4ac9a5ddaaf25fe5436125ec903.png

• Like 1

Tankman

Wow! Great Horse!

Please do keep the forum Stallions up to date!  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 1

rjg854

:WRS:

• Like 1

KC9KAS

@Sethd31 :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

Sparky
9 hours ago, Wild Bill in VA said:

OK now this here's the "I'm still not under standing then BUT" department about the 1964 model 1045. From the information I got from Wheel Horse years ago about the model 1045 that it was only produced for 3 months in 1964, August, September and October BUT I remember seeing a photo of a 1045 manual with a and I think it was a April or May 1964 date hand written on the front.  So I'm not sure BUT I do know the 1045 was not a common Wheel Horse model and the one pictured here in this thread is a  extremely nice example with the original front tires. The seat pan should be the flat square type with cover.  The 1045 is one of the few short framed Wheel Horses that used the larger block Kohler engine, the other is the 1075 made in 1965. These Kohler's used a smaller oil pan with special connecting rods that had a dipper scoop for oil instead of the long tail type dipper.

I had used my 1045 in a few stock tractor pulls and I would leave the mower deck on ........ with the front wheels up in the air you could see the blades on the deck ..... I did this to show the folks "Yes it's stock and I cut my lawn with it" !

Wild Bill in Richmond, VA

@Wild Bill in VA  ...you're referring to it as a 1964, but is it a 1964 or 1965 model? I was of the assumption the last number in the model number (1045) denoted the model year.

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

If you need parts contact AtoZ tractors. These people are wonderful! Your first pic looks like the little ear is broke off the bracket that holds the implement arm in position. They should have one!

good luck and welcome board!😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Retired Wrencher

Sethd31 :WRS: Good luck with the tractor. As you can see good help here as always.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

Welcome to RedSquare @Sethd31!  I love your tractor, something about them round fenders and short frame...:handgestures-thumbupright:  If you’re ever in Michigan with it and decide to leave it behind, I’ll send you my address!  :laughing-rofl:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mike'sHorseBarn

Great find!! I've had two 1045's over the years and passed both of them on to other horse lovers. The 1045 has not id plate on the dash tower, but instead it has a sticker above the lift assembly as pictured below. I see the outline of the sticker in your picture, but it is covered with dirt. Your 1045 is a great survivor and those front tires are very sought after!

20170512_163928.jpg.bec2174d30eea5cd5b45d1eaaf767b21.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sethd31
34 minutes ago, Mike'sHorseBarn said:

Great find!! I've had two 1045's over the years and passed both of them on to other horse lovers. The 1045 has not id plate on the dash tower, but instead it has a sticker above the lift assembly as pictured below. I see the outline of the sticker in your picture, but it is covered with dirt. Your 1045 is a great survivor and those front tires are very sought after!

20170512_163928.jpg.bec2174d30eea5cd5b45d1eaaf767b21.jpg

Thanks! I saw that outline as well but was hesitant to go scraping at it since it was covered in paint to reveal the number.. BUT, I went ahead and cleaned it off and got my #! 22214

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

gwest_ca

Have kept the serial numbers in the 1964 file because I believe it was released as a late 1964 model. Added the 1965 file because it does show up in a 1965 parts manual. Click on the picture.

If they had used their normal formula for a model number it would be a model 1054 but they already had a 1054 model at the time. They may have just reversed the last 2 digits and carried on.

Garry

• Like 1

953 nut
42 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

If they had used their normal formula for a model number it would be a model 1054 but they already had a 1054 model at the time. They may have just reversed the last 2 digits and carried on.

Garry, we all know that a "5" center number means electric start and a "7" means Automatic.   I think a "4" center number means "We had some fenders left over from '64 and developed a '65 model to use them up."           :ychain:

PS,  the Ponds were well known for being thrifty!

• Like 3

Wild Bill in VA
9 hours ago, Sparky said:

@Wild Bill in VA  ...you're referring to it as a 1964, but is it a 1964 or 1965 model? I was of the assumption the last number in the model number (1045) denoted the model year.

Sparky it is a 1964 year model Wheel Horse.

Oh yeah don't tell your neighbor Anthony that a Briggs and Stratton is really a low grade economy Tecumseh !:happy-jumpeveryone:

Wild Bill in Richmond, VA

• Like 2