Ephillips2582

Hydraulic had a leak...c-175 automatic

Ephillips2582

Hey folks! Recent new wheel horse owner here. Some of y’all helped in identifying my c-175 automatic, much obliged! New question! (Back story) After I acquired my c-175, I had to rebuild the starter, new relay and new battery. After mowing our two acre yard twice,one of my mule pulleys began smoking. Took them off, yep, one completely seized. Replaced both. (Side note) I noticed one day that my mower deck had settled all the way down. Wasn’t sure if that was normal, although I doubted it. Well,  while waiting for the pulleys to come in I decided to replace belts and blades. With absolutely no luck getting the blade lugs to budge, I finally broke down and took the deck to my local mower shop to replace them for me. Still waiting for that. I’ve had to use my c-175 for miscellaneous uses around our 6 acre property. After parking it last weekend, I came out to a small leak under her. I’ve never had a leak that I’ve noticed before. Turns out it was the hydraulic under the left foot rest. Decided not to chance it and bought a deal kit from wheelhorsepartsandmore.com, it’ll be here in a day or two. I already pulled out the hydraulic, which has the snap ring. Is seemed to be filled with transmission fluid? I assume that’s running off the transmissions fluid? Looking for clarification so I can be ready as soon as the seals come in. Thanks in advance! 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

pfrederi

It shares fluid with the transaxle and hydro system.  By the time C175 came along using motor oil 10w-30 or 10w-40 was the norm in the hydro  Is your fluid yellow gold colored?  Older units used Automatic Tran fluid (Dexron) it is Cherry red. 

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:              Hard to say what a previous owner may have done. As Paul said if the fluid is RED it is ATF.  Last year I bought a 1987 418-C and when time came to service it I bought five quarts of 10-W-30 in anticipation of refilling the Eaton 1100. Pulled the plug and son of a gun has ATF in it. Works fine so I went back with ATF. Unless you are doing a complete tear-down you should stick with what is there now.

Remember, in hydraulics Image result for cleanliness is next to godliness

• Like 1

Ephillips2582

Yellow gold on the dip stick. And nice and clean looking. I plan on draining when I get the hydraulic seals replaced. I’d rather not do what 953 nut did and buy the wrong stuff. Lol

image.jpg

• Haha 1

953 nut

Your filter is a NAPA 1410. One more tip, when you go to fill the transmission it will need a vent  path or the oil will probably burp through the dip stick tube. remove one of the seat support bolts as a vent, once you have about 3 1/2 quarts in the oil will be apt to come out of the bolt hole so you will have to put the bolt back in and fill slowly.

• Like 1

Ephillips2582

Thanks for the advice 953

• Thanks 1

Sarge

You can also bend a coat hanger wire with a tight hook at one end, insert that into the dip stick tube and that will allow air to escape the transaxle case as you fill it. There are some funnels out now that incorporate a breather tube - they help a lot on things that are hard to get at. Putting oil in a D series will test your mental stability, for example.

Sarge

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

Ephillips2582

Good idea. Thanks sarge

oneroadkingman

Well I wished I would have seen these tips before I started filling my hydro up yep it was burping at me lol!

953 nut
4 hours ago, oneroadkingman said:

Well I wished I would have seen these tips before I started filling my hydro up yep it was burping at me lol!

That is one good reason to read every post on here as they are updated. Some of the information can com in to play later on and if you hadn't read the post you wouldn't know the little tricks of the trade.

• Like 1

oneroadkingman

You're absolutely correct in that last night I spent an hour and a half going through a lot of the Wheelhorse post anything that pertain to me I read I guess is there any way of saving them so that you don't have to go back and look through them all again LOL I am not very computer smart LOL

• Thanks 1

953 nut
2 hours ago, oneroadkingman said:

is there any way of saving them so that you don't have to go back and look through them all again

One thing I have done is high-lite the key information and paste it as a Word document then file the document.

2 hours ago, oneroadkingman said:

I am not very computer smart

My granddaughter taught me how to do this when she was about 10. Just go find a kid and computers become very easy to understand!   :ychain:

• Excellent 1