JayB

Sickle bar

JayB

Can a sickle bar modle SMS50 fit a tractor modle C-160 or a Tach A Matic

953 nut

The frame on the 953/1054 is wider than the frame on your C-160, may need to compensate for that. You would probably need to remove the Tach-A-Matic and will need to drill a few new holes but it is a belt driven implement so with a bit of ingenuity it can be done.

• Like 1

martinarcher

Thanks 953 nut.  Jay has an SMS-50 and I have the C-160.  We're trying to figure out what it will take to get the sickle running on my C-160.  My concern now that I've studied more pictures is my brake pedal is on the right (clutch left) so I'm concerned the pulley idler pedal and the brake will be trying to occupy the same space.  If I can get the actual hardware to mount up and clear the brake pedal itself throughout it's throw I think I can just skip the idler pedal and use the standard PTO lever on the C-160 to engage the sickle and just run a belt direct to the mule pulley from the PTO pulley (eliminating the pedal and pedal pulley.  Anyone done anything like that?  I found a YouTube vid of a guy hedge trimming with a C-160 and a sickle but it's a view from his fender as he's cutting.  No picks of the set-up at all.  :(

Thanks all!

953 nut

You will need a method of tensioning the belt from the PTO. 

martinarcher

I'm wondering if the box I make for the frame could be slotted and able to "slide" tension the belt.  It's too bad I can't somehow incorporate the mule drive tensioner on the front.  It works so slick.

953 nut

Here is one from our Gallery that uses a tensioner that pivots forward. Looks good to me.

595809f2e1876_2002-01-0318_20_20.jpg

• Like 3

martinarcher

Thanks for the pic!  That one looks very well implemented.

• Thanks 1

martinarcher

Is that your Horse 953nut?

Stormin

That's my '79 C-81 with a '62 sickle bar. There was no mule drive with it when I got it and would have been of no use if there had. Foot rests on the tractors it was designed for and foot plates on the C-81.

Don't know how to add links, but if you go on our sister site, myoldmachine (top of page) you'll find my topic on the rebuild and fitting. Wheel Horse Sickle Bar.  October 2015.

Maybe give you some ideas.

Norm.

953 nut
4 hours ago, Stormin said:

Don't know how to add links, but if you go on our sister site, myoldmachine (top of page) you'll find my topic on the rebuild and fitting. Wheel Horse Sickle Bar.  October 2015.

Maybe give you some ideas.

Here you go Norm, thanks for passing this on to us.

http://myoldmachine.com/topic/2361-wheel-horse-sickle-bar/?tab=comments#comment-26123

• Thanks 1

martinarcher

You guys rock!  Thanks for the pics and the thread link.  That will be a huge help getting my C-160 set-up.  I really appreciate it.  

• Thanks 1

IndyFord2

I just posted some pis'c in the gallery for another "horse lover" I mounted a sickle bar on my C-120. (Sat.) Might help a bit. 

• Like 1

martinarcher

Thanks!  Are they in the implements section or the regular section?  

IndyFord2

picture  gallery, implements

• Like 1

martinarcher

Thanks!