• Like 1

benji756

nice horse hauler:teasing-poke:

• Haha 1

Digger 66

That's cool !

• Thanks 1

squonk

I coulda used that today to lift a couple of compressors.

• Like 1

MarkS

Quite the machine! I could put one to good use! HA

• Thanks 1

Daddy Don

Put a swing on it and give free rides. Great machine:happy-jumpeveryone:

• Haha 1

ebinmaine
8 hours ago, squonk said:

I coulda used that today to lift a couple of compressors.

I wish I did more technical work like that.

We're a building supply company and a lot of our work is... Pick things up and put dem down...

I still really enjoy it though.

:D

• Like 1

ebinmaine
10 hours ago, benji756 said:

nice horse hauler:teasing-poke:

I know right??

Just imagine the awesome places you could put a tractor...

• Like 1

KC9KAS

@ebinmaine That brings back bad memories of when I worked in residential construction and had to work on the decking & roofing!

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, KC9KAS said:

@ebinmaine That brings back bad memories of when I worked in residential construction and had to work on the decking & roofing!

Ahhh !!!

KC9KAS
3 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Ahhh !!!

The crane truck or an elevator truck sure beat packing them up a ladder!

• Like 2

PeacemakerJack

I’m so thankful for boom trucks when it comes to material placement on my sites. The time and effort it saves me is really hard to quantify.  That one looks like it has a great reach—cool!

• Like 2

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, PeacemakerJack said:

I’m so thankful for boom trucks when it comes to material placement on my sites. The time and effort it saves me is really hard to quantify.  That one looks like it has a great reach—cool!

I don't know the exact specs off the top of my head but I think it has a 68 foot pin with a Max lift capacity at full horizontal level ground reach of a little over 1,700 pounds.

So after you subtract the weight of the forks, hook, pallet... I could put about 15 bundles of shingles something like 62 feet away from the side or front of the truck.

Like most cranes, it's made for going up, not out. I could put well over half a pallet of shingles right to the peak on a 4 story  building.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Sarge

Those things are great at about 1/3 of their load capacity - above that most get pretty dicey and lack real finesse. I've never gotten to work with a newer model truck, its always half worn out equipment that had a hard time stabbing a specific zip code, let alone lowering 24" pipe casing into a boring dig box, 25' below ground level. As you say - far better at high lift angles versus long, extended reach jobs. Problem is, we never can get the truck really close enough to the dig hole due to soil conditions - I'd rather not have a 30 ton truck on top of my head, thanks...lol. At work, we love the newer snorkel truck versions for concrete and vac operations - they sure do save a lot of backbreaking effort. Makes your work day a lot better with a new toy - congrats.

Sarge

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, Sarge said:

Those things are great at about 1/3 of their load capacity .....

I'd rather not have a 30 ton truck on top of my head, thanks...lol. ...

Makes your work day a lot better with a new toy - congrats.

Sarge

I've only run a couple of cranes that were built back in the nineties and that was only for one or two days a piece when my regulars were in service.

Other than that, the oldest crane I operated was the one that this one replaced which was 9 or 10 model years old.

It was definitely very well worn in but still very very capable. I'm going to miss that truck until I get used to this one.

In the old realm I would definitely agree that they are very limited at the upper end of the capacity and although I've only used this one for a couple days I have to say that these new cranes have really got the old ones knocked right out and down.

This new Fassi is completely capable of everything that it says it should up to 89% capacity. At that point it starts ringing alarms and telling you you need to back up or pull down or whatever. Kind of annoying but at the same time I really do love and respect the safety Factor it puts in play.

Sarge

Yeah - the newer equipment of that type really is a lot better. Time will tell how well it lasts, as with everything else. At least with the newer stuff and the safety cutout systems, it prevents idiot operators from pushing them to failure, or it should anyway. Nothing like watching a load dangling in mid-air, myself attached to the lead line and hanging on for dear life while he "gets up under it"...lol.

Last famous attempt by a novice operator resulted in a 12-ton roll-off container hitting the crane's hydraulic tank and putting a very large dent in it.

Sarge

• Like 1

pfrederi

Be very careful around power wires.  Locally a guy was killed this week putting supplies on a roof with something like your new toy.  Video link

https://wnep.com/2018/07/20/man-hurt-when-lift-truck-hits-power-line/

death.JPG

capture1.JPG

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 3
  • Sad 2

clueless

When my brother and I were teenagers my dad would hire us out to friends as laborers (probably illegal) during the summer. He though it would keep us out of trouble, give us some pocket money, and maybe teach us a trade. We did a lot of different things, but the two thing I know that I never wanted to do again, were toting shingles up a ladder and handing buckets of mud up to brick layers :snooty:.  

• Like 5

ericj

down at the power house I'm help build, They don't want anything with in 35 foot of the high power tension lines. What was that guy doing running around with the boom that high up that close to power lines. Brings several thoughts to mind but out of respect for the deceased I wont convey them.

eric j 

• Like 3

ohiofarmer

I watched a construction company doing a low rise student housing building and the crane was on top of/beside the structure. The amazing thing was that the crane never stopped. There was a guy mixing mud and also guys loading pallets of steel studs, bricks, and other stuff by clipping it on to the crane.  I have to think that the operator had a camera mounted to the business end of the crane because of the finesse he delivering stock to all sides of the building. No standing around at this job site....  Very effecient operation..

The housing units were for well off students and they even had a little grocery/deli on the ground floor. My daughter introduced me to her boss/professor/mentor. and it came up in discussion that a salad cost $15.00 at the deli.

Such is life in Ann Arbor. Go Blue!

AMC RULES

I've always said, with the technology available today...

why is there no fixed camera located at the end of the boom with a POV looking down? 

No brainer, would virtually eliminate the need for eyes on the ground.  :clap:

I've got a rigger(who wants to be the rigging leader, and...of course, already thinks he is)...

who can stand under the end of the boom looking up at it for at least 5mins...

before I ever get a hand signal out of him.   :confusion-shrug:

Now there's a painful performance to witness.   :doh:

• Like 1

ebinmaine
23 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Be very careful around power wires

We always are. And thank you. Reminders are always appreciated.

Nowadays, A lot of the things that we used to think we're kind of stupid to do are illegal anyway.

I'm a big believer in safety and I try to practice it the best I can as often as I can.

@AMC RULES Craig, I feel your pain.

My crane does not have a cable so I don't need to follow the same rigger regulations that you do.

I am an extraordinarily patient person about 95% of the time but it is definitely a wee bit on the frustrating side when you tell a person what to do and then they go up on the roof and then they forget what they were supposed to do.

Five commands. Super simple. Up, left, right, down, stop.

I can't move the crane if I can't see any portion of the crane or the load.

You need to tell me what to do.

Then they look at me and raise their hands and wonder why I'm not moving?

:D

• Like 2

Sarge

In my job, a lot of rigging work is required - it is also required to have a Rigger's license to do this work or you're not even allowed on the job site. We don't screw around with safety, in fact - we advocate most of the rules associated with lifting work, along with the Operators. The classes required to hold the certificate and yearly required refreshers is extensive, not many in the Hall will keep theirs up to date, which is a shame. Right now in my area, 6 miles from home is a windmill farm that is expanding - these are critical lifts with insanely heavy loads, the rules are endless. I hate hearing stories of injuries or deaths from lack of experience or training - we do our best to help drive the industry to keep folks from harm, yet are being labeled as an enemy of working people.

I can tell you with a high amount of certainty that the accident was again an example of a company pushing for faster delivery schedules - it happens far too often. I do applaud the folks that will stand their ground and do the right thing - never moving unless there is a clear instruction and a spotter to be aware of dangers that the operator cannot see - kudos to you, @ebinmaine

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1