johnnymag3

pop...... spit.....Cough.....bacfire

johnnymag3

12 HP magnum.......312 Hydro                           pop spit cough pow!!!    Backfire    repeat runs fine then pop spit cough pow!!!!!! Repeat, restart.......

new fuel lines, clean gas, cleans carb, needle and seat fine, fuel pump works fine, will run perfect with half choke...... has new fuel filter new. Tractor has 245 Hrs. on it. Cant quite figure it out? Thought it was the fuel pump, so I popped it off and tested....sucks and pumps fine......took carb apart, spotless in the bowl. Needle and seat work perfect.....this Horse is driving me crazy..:no:

Help.........

Thanks John:blink:

wallfish
8 minutes ago, johnnymag3 said:

will run perfect with half choke

You are matching the air flow to the fuel flow at 1/2 choke. When you open the choke all the way there is too much air to the amount of fuel..

Dirty carb, or you have an air leak some where like the gasket or the throttle shaft.

While it's running spray carb cleaner or WD-40 on those areas. If the rpm changes, it is sucking air

Check the float and setting too

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 4

pfrederi

Magnums are kind of new for me.  Is this a Walbro Fixed Jet  carb??  If so my sympathy.  If not have you pulled the high speed needle and made sure all the holes were clear?

Wallfish is right o about air leaks but i doubt with 200 hours it is the throttle shaft. 

• Like 1

johnnymag3

It is not a fixed jet carb, its a common Walbro, just like my C-160 carb...I did try to spray stuff around the carb, but no no avail...so Im leaning toward something in the carb? The gaskets are fine, and all of my fuel lines are new, I replaced them......old one were nice too, so saved them

johnnymag3

Why is the fuel filter half full when I use half choke?

and empty when no choke????

CONFUSED

johnnymag3

Vacuum is obviously pulling fuel in for me....is my guess.....

johnnymag3

Thats 50 pages of mind numbing material, i may die before I get to read all of that.....

john:blink:

pfrederi

pull the high speed needle spraying the carb really doesn't do much...

• Like 1

johnnymag3

gonna do just that after dinner, thanks !!!                  its a start

much appreciated   !!

johnnymag3

ok all done eating, Lasagne roll ups....yum...ready for a Ice cold beer....and now to yank the carb off, and pull the removable components.....screws,,,,,, bowl   AGAIN     ect.

this car has no wear, I promise you

something simple is getting to me, and Im overlooking it.    after 50 years of dealing with these Kohlers, you would think I would have the answer.....But I dont, and I need to learn something today, or Im not living.    will let you guys know what I find

Thanks for the responses

john

johnnymag3

Im hoping for something easy........

wallfish

How about some information on those Lasagne roll ups? Never heard of them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

wallfish

Just read this on your other thread.

" If I run the engine in part choke,it will run fine, but the filter is empty, If I pressurize the fuel tank and fill the Fuel filter, it will run fine until the filter empties..

That kind of proves it's a fuel delivery issue if it runs fine without using any choke when the tank is pressurized, so the carb isn't dirty. If it was, your condition would be constant no matter what.

Vent hole in gas cap clogged?

Screen in tank clogged?

Float not set properly?

Just kind a thinking out loud here

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 1

johnnymag3

Make Lasagne as per package.....let noodles cool

Make the typical filling for stuffed shells, or lasagne....eggs, ricotta.mozzarella,basil,parsley, salt ,pepper, grated cheese, fresh garlic chopperd

use homemade sauce from Sundays meal that you cooked all day on Saturday.........................NO RAGU

Lay out lasagne noodle, lay some cheese mix on top, 1/4 thick..

roll into a log, careful not to push out cheese filling

lay logs in tray, with some sauce on bottom

cover with sauce, top with mozzarella, bake 45 min covered for 30 min........., then open for 15 minutes

rest for 5 min, then lift out as many as you can eat...!!!!

roll up.jpg

• Like 6

johnnymag3

Im going to strip carb tomorrow....everything else is ok, so Im going in elbow deep in the Walbro

must be a critter with a cabin in one of the passages.......

Thanks guys, ...have the Mrs. make some roll ups. My passion is COOKING, but my Love is WheelHorse pulling a food cart !!!!

johnnymag3

Looked at gas cap, may be the issue??????   will test without cap before I take off carb tomorrow

Lots of good ideas before I go elbow deep  !!!

wildfire305

Do you have a vacuum gauge? I replaced my fuel pump (see your other thread) and the new pump appeared to function correctly when in hand, but when I had it installed, it would not be engaged by the camshaft. I diagnosed this by putting in a tee fitting on the inlet side of the pump and I saw no needle action. After my conversion (see your other thread) the needle wiggles back and forth with the pump action of the new pump. 

johnnymag3

I do have a vacuum gauge, and lots of tee type fittings.....will diagnose tomorrow. Thanks

Awake thinking @ 11:41 PM instead of sleeping...UGH!

• Like 1

johnnymag3

Ive tried everything...........doing the same thing. Im at a loss for ideas

wildfire305

Will it run and die on flammable vapor? Starting fluid, Carb cleaner, wd-40, brake parts cleaner, etc? 

wallfish
On 7/17/2018 at 8:07 PM, wallfish said:

Just read this on your other thread.

" If I run the engine in part choke,it will run fine, but the filter is empty, If I pressurize the fuel tank and fill the Fuel filter, it will run fine until the filter empties..

Try using a spare gas tank and gravity feed the fuel to the carb. If it runs right with no problem, the issue is fuel delivery to the carb. and not the carb itself.

Bill D

Make sure somthing isn't trying to kill the engine at random.  Isolate the kill wire from the magneto and see how it runs.  Be careful not to damage the charging system rectifer.  If you need help let me know.

Bill

Copper116

Might it be possible for an inside the tank screen filter is plugged... letting fuel in a bit at a time... then the lines run dry until it can seep in a bit to repeat the problem.  May try back flushing the line that goes into the tank if you know it's got the screen filter in the tank... Just an idea!  Good luck.

Tuneup

That gravity feed idea is worth a try. I got myself a PVC cap and drilled a hole in the bottom. Threaded a barb and run a hose to the inlet. Worked for years when balancing carbs on old motorcycles. A couple of drilled holes allowed a twine loop to permit it to hang from the garage door runners. Redneck for sure but cheap, fast, easy and durable. You can also watch that Kohler suck that fuel down - man, they are thirsty!