pfrederi

MICE!!!!!!

pfrederi

Went to start one of the C-175s this morning down in the barn.  Turned over twice then stopped. Solenoid clicked but no crank.  Jumped it off the D200 no success.  Realized I couldn't turn the engine by hand.  Also noticed some of the oil drip pads had been munched on.  Saw some white stuff inside the blower housing  Had to drag her up to the shop (too hot to work in the barn..really need to get a tow set up on the 3pt.  I had to pick her up with straps frond the front axle to the FEL bucket...Then back all the way from the barn to the shop.  Reminded AG tires are darn near worthless backing up hill even with the york rake hanging off the 3 pt as a counterweight.

Took the shields off and found the stuff wrapped around the starter pinion jamming the fly wheel.

Part of that mess is some dryer sheets pieces and they are really tough when you try to pull them off....

Guess mice appreciate me providing nice smelling dryer sheet for their construction projects.

IMG_0201.JPG

IMG_0202.JPG

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 3
  • Sad 6

elcamino/wheelhorse

Mice can spoil seat time. Last year tried starting my 416-8 and starter was dragging. Turned out a mouse lost its tail in the gears and left a big mess under the tins.

• Confused 1

Tractor boy
13 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Mice can spoil seat time. Last year tried starting my 416-8 and starter was dragging. Turned out a mouse lost its tail in the gears and left a big mess under the tins.

That must’ve been nasty. Fingers crossed on mine yet. Haven’t discovered any mice problems during this rewiring project. 

ebinmaine
37 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Guess mice appreciate me providing nice smelling dryer sheet for their construction projects.

You have to admit that is mighty nice of you

• Haha 2

KC9KAS

Picked up a 312-8 last week...No spark...mouse condo in the shroud and they had been having coil wire for lunch!

New coil on the way!

The Tuul Crib

Might want to try what helps me in my shed to get rid of bugs and mice. Go buy a box of Gain  detergent and sprinkle it around the area. I find they don't like the smell and it does help the area smelling better !

• Like 1

Kenneth R Cluley

So i guess that blows the theory about dryer sheets repelling mice?

ztnoo

Mouse and rat poison liberally distributed in the storage area might prove helpful, as well.....

Finding them dead outside the confines of the tractors make it much more efficient to contain or inhibit their non-permitted building activities.....

I'd much rather shovel up a bunch of deceased carcasses than go through your tractor starting expedition routine.

• Like 3

oldredrider

I put down mouse poison in my garage last winter. In the spring I found most of it in a large mouse nest under the shroud of one of my tractors in a separate shed. They stored it up in their nest for snacking during the winter.

Barn cats work much better than poison, dryer sheets, peppermint oil or anything else I've tried.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Herder

The traps stay locked and loaded at all times, especially when you see no activity. One day there's no mice, next thing you know there's too many mice. Kill them all!!

JAinVA

The best reason for seat time.If you start an engine on a regular basis you won't find this mess.5910d9a67957d_acorndump.thumb.jpg.0ef8b40c0ef0522f92ef63c2609c0b35.jpg

• Like 6

chev0545

moth balls work for me

• Like 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

@JAinVA Looks like the furry tailed rodents think your horses are good places to store their food supply.

elcamino/wheelhorse

@KC9KAS Where did you purchase your coil ?

AMC RULES

They do seem to really like nesting...

in them C-175 blower housings. :confusion-shrug:

IMG_1178.JPG.40151cbe19a36aa96a31d43f542717a5.JPGIMG_1179.JPG.af978e240ba784f778f6b5685b46a653.JPGIMG_1180.JPG.fa66ea40e7bcbd939a8109701beb2304.JPG

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

AMC RULES

Cvans

Mothballs still seem to work for me. :D

DennisThornton
5 hours ago, oldredrider said:

I put down mouse poison in my garage last winter. In the spring I found most of it in a large mouse nest under the shroud of one of my tractors in a separate shed. They stored it up in their nest for snacking during the winter.

Barn cats work much better than poison, dryer sheets, peppermint oil or anything else I've tried.

Poison bait contains yummy "bait" and a poison that will kill in a few days.  Obviously the mice died or the bait would be gone.  It did what it was supposed to do but not instantaneously like a trap.  Baits serve a purpose but not for everyone.  Some folks need to see a dead body.  Others don't. 

KC9KAS
8 hours ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

@KC9KAS Where did you purchase your coil ?

TEW Inc from AMAZON $35 delivered.

• Thanks 1

Sarge

In the fall season, I could always count on extra hours when I worked at the truck shop. Farmers would wait until the last moment to bring their trucks in for repairs (despite it being broken all summer) and mice would add about 30% more work cleaning out heaters, air cleaners, wiring, and gauges.  Spring was the same way - equipment stored with ethanol-laced fuels would cause a slew of problems and the mice would make the whole thing worse. Dryer sheets, poison, cats, and traps had little effect - we even tried installing stainless screen wire over any openings where they could damage things only to have them chew holes in parts that are very tough to replace, especially plastic heater housings buried deep inside the dash.

Mice and ethanol rank equal in my hatred range - both should be eliminated. 3 of my tractors acquired over the years were from mice damage - the rest were from ethanol - maybe not so bad after all?

I'm currently working on a towing rig for a 3pt hitch, hope to have it done soon. I'm done with trying to use straps, chains or whatever to tow dead tractors.

Sarge

• Haha 1

shallowwatersailor

I use to use Fresh Cab. It worked well - when I used it. A few things that I found were: don't use a tractor cover if stored outside, replace the repellent every two-three months, and run them occasionally.

According to my exterminator that we used, bait stations actually draw the mice to you as it is "tasty."

5b4df5a7982ad_FreshCab.jpg.bbd5a5a6984fbc987ed05cbcc2938f06.jpg

• Thanks 1