RandyLittrell

Missouri Mule-GT14

RandyLittrell

Well, I finally got my GT14 home from @T-Mo's house. 625 miles round trip, but I think it was worth it! I will put up a couple of pics, but they are a little blurry because my phones camera isn't taking good pics. I will put up some more pics later and I am going to have a bunch of questions as I look this over. 

20180714_121639.jpg

20180715_160723.jpg

20180715_155745.jpg

The motor appears to be from 1993, so I hope its in good shape. @T-Mo bought this from @wh500special  and said it runs good once its started. The tranny is an unknown but I really want to put an 8 speed in it anyway! 

Randy

Edited by RandyLittrell
  • Like 5

wh500special

That tractor is getting some miles on it!

I got it from Jon in Centerpointe, IN as part of a trade years ago.  I think it passed through his ownership without any tweaks from him.

It ran great, but was an absolute bear to get started.  Not just hard to start in the sense that some engines are stubborn.  This one was tough.  But once running, it did great.

It had been sitting in our barn for quite a while and I figured I'd get to it someday.  Someday never came.

You'll note that the throttle linkage is assembled upside down, so "up" on the throttle control slows the engine.  Unless Terry fixed it.

Have fun with that beast!

STeve

• Like 3

RandyLittrell

Steve, I don't think Terry messed with it. I am going to play with the motor first, and then start on the rest. I think I will hang a new tank I have, above the carb and start there. This is a bigger tractor than my others so it makes me look a little slimmer!   :greetings-clappingyellow:    I am really wound up to work on it. 

Randy

• Haha 5

19richie66

I’ll be along for this ride. :popcorn:

• Like 1

T-Mo

Nope, I never really messed with it, except to try and start it once.  It would crank, but had no fire.  I did change out the rear wheels and tires with the extra set Steve had.  The ones on the tractor were liquid filled and had started to leak significantly and the rims are totally shot and only good for the scrap pile now.

I will miss this one, but it was either this or one of my 953s, and they're not going anywhere for a while.

• Like 4

953 nut
6 hours ago, wh500special said:

an absolute bear to get started.  Not just hard to start in the sense that some engines are stubborn.  This one was tough.  But once running, it did great.

An electric fuel pump cured this condition on mine.

• Like 3

Aldon

In addition to fuel starvation,  make sure that the Hydro is disengaged when you attempt to start it. Otherwise your starter and engine are fighting uphill so to speak.

Edited by Aldon
  • Like 6

PeacemakerJack

@RandyLittrell nice tractor!  I always like to see what guys are doing with their GT-14’s and so I’ll keep an eye on your progress:coffee:

RandyLittrell
1 hour ago, PeacemakerJack said:

@RandyLittrell nice tractor!  I always like to see what guys are doing with their GT-14’s and so I’ll keep an eye on your progress:coffee:

Thanks @PeacemakerJack, I want to put an 8 speed in it with hydraulics. Maybe 3 point, maybe just a brinly style hitch. Either way, I want to do some plowing with this tractor. Hope to attend a plow day somewhere. You guys look like you have such fun! 

Randy

• Like 2

PeacemakerJack
4 minutes ago, RandyLittrell said:

I want to do some plowing with this tractor. Hope to attend a plow day somewhere. You guys look like you have such fun!

NOW YOU'RE TALKING!  Looks like you need to plan a road trip up north when you get it finished for the fall J and C plow day at Jim's!  You would have a blast...

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

RandyLittrell

Here is some better pics. 

20180718_193341.jpg

20180718_193715.jpg

20180718_193508.jpg

20180718_193601.jpg

20180718_193243.jpg

• Like 1

RandyLittrell

Not sure what year it is, i still haven't got it down on how to decode the tag. 

The wiring is a mess and the tank has gotten a little toasty at some point, so I really think I will just pull the motor to get it running and go from there. Looks like the PTO is all there, but hasn't been used in quite a while.

I think a new tank is in order, but I think I would like to build one like @19richie66, but out of steel. My son has a new Miller 215 welder with a tig and I am itching to build something with it. 

Lots to fab for this bad boy too! Needs a dash and console, but luckily it hasn't had too many PO mods. 

20180718_193457.jpg

20180718_193625 (1).jpg

20180718_194112.jpg

20180718_193908.jpg

• Excellent 2

19richie66

Good solid start that’s for sure

• Like 1

RandyLittrell

If someone could decode the serial number to tell me what year it is, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks.

I will start tearing down soon, but this is not going to be a quick build for sure!! 

Randy

Edited by RandyLittrell
  • Like 1

19richie66

1971 gt14  :handgestures-thumbup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PeacemakerJack
40 minutes ago, RandyLittrell said:

I will start tearing down soon, but this is not going to be a quick build for sure!! 

Do it right Randy and you won’t regret it. The mighty GT was the flagship of the line during its tenure and is certainly worth the time invested to build it right whether an all out custom like Aldon’s “Grey Ghost” or Richie’s “Skittles” or a stock restore like many that we see on this site.  I’ll be watching with interest as someday I’ll be restoring “Blackbeard” with my son Zach!...

863EA373-3A50-47B2-BC1B-940263E0843E.jpeg.cea706abc82483d80d4bb4eac45c8fd3.jpeg

Good luck in your build!

image.jpg.653aacc4a6b1d3e2c2774f85b23c59cf.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

RandyLittrell
2 hours ago, 19richie66 said:

1971 gt14  :handgestures-thumbup:

Thanks Richie! It really doesn't make a lot of difference, but everyone always wants to know!! 

Randy

• Like 2

RandyLittrell
2 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

Do it right Randy and you won’t regret it. The mighty GT was the flagship of the line during its tenure and is certainly worth the time invested to build it right whether an all out custom like Aldon’s “Grey Ghost” or Richie’s “Skittles” or a stock restore like many that we see on this site.  I’ll be watching with interest as someday I’ll be restoring “Blackbeard” with my son Zach!...

863EA373-3A50-47B2-BC1B-940263E0843E.jpeg.cea706abc82483d80d4bb4eac45c8fd3.jpeg

Good luck in your build!

I always wanted one, but hadn't seen one in person. When I got it home and sit in the seat, it feels perfect! And it's proportions are just right for a fat boy! Gonna do this a step at a time and not rush it. There are several builds on here I will taking ideas from. 

Randy

19richie66

I’m no expert but willing to help at anytime.

• Like 1

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:                 I'm a little late to the show here, been very busy lately.  My GT-14 is a great worker and love to work with it.

Yours looks like a good complete unit without any major shortcomings.  

On 7/19/2018 at 7:46 AM, RandyLittrell said:

Needs a dash and console

When Glen Pettit gets back on his feet he can fix you up with both panels.

Model #1-0500  1971 Lawn & Garden Tractor GT-14 Automatic   Engine, Kohler K321S-60125B 14   Transmission, Sundstrand 90-2062

If there are any differences (other than decals) between the five years of GT-14 production I am unaware of them.

19richie66

Only differences I know of are the belt disengagement levers are different (above the cover plate,same once you get below the plate), breakerless coil on early versions, open nose on the 1969, some had hood hinges and earlier had the tabs in the rear that went under the dash hoising. Oh and there was that super rare limited edition, GT14 LXE that had the eaton 1100 transaxle but not sure how many of those that were made. I know of one. :laughing-rolling:

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

953 nut
2 hours ago, 953 nut said:

If there are any differences (other than decals) between the five years of GT-14 production I am unaware of them.

OK @19richie66, I knew a statement like that would get some conversations started!     :bow-blue:    Now I AM aware of a few differences.    :ychain:    You also overlooked the special edition 8 Speeds and the 16, 18, 22 etc HP GT-14s.    :confusion-confused:  Don't guess the higher HP ones would be a GT-14 though.     

Richie, now you have me all confused.                  :doh:

• Haha 2

19richie66

@953 nut :handgestures-thumbup:I know you know that stuff, just throwing it out there. I appreciate all your help and knowledge you bestowed upon me when I was building mine. Got a 953 coming so I am sure I will be hitting you up a lot more. 

• Excellent 2

RandyLittrell

T

5 hours ago, 953 nut said:

:text-coolphotos:                 I'm a little late to the show here, been very busy lately.  My GT-14 is a great worker and love to work with it.

Yours looks like a good complete unit without any major shortcomings.  

When Glen Pettit gets back on his feet he can fix you up with both panels.

Model #1-0500  1971 Lawn & Garden Tractor GT-14 Automatic   Engine, Kohler K321S-60125B 14   Transmission, Sundstrand 90-2062

I have looked at his products and they are very nice, but I am pretty set on going with an 8-speed and I want to put the choke/throttle were the ammeter is ala @19richie66

I think I would like to get @Vinylguy to make decals for the dash and console that looks like the ones on 1277's but.................that's a ways down the road! 

And luckily, I have lots of experts to draw from here! I know I have said it before, but I enjoy being here! You guys are great! 

Randy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19richie66

The throttle and choke assemblies that I used were from a C-175. 👍 I had Terry make me a decal like the 953 without wording but I never got time to put it on.

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 1