PeacemakerJack

Help—to buy or not to buy

PeacemakerJack

Hey guys, my wife has always had a fettish for the wood panel side station wagons.  I found out about the Buick roadmaster estate wagons of the mid 1990’s about ten years ago.  Most of them came from the factory fully loaded with options.  What made them very interesting is that they had the drivetrain from the Corvette including the 260hp LT1 motor. 

I found this one locally with 123,000 miles.

EBD506AD-1CB6-4075-BDDE-56376DAD5A2D.jpeg.f39f2e349e478afa093364e8d54ecfca.jpeg

Stock other than the hood, wheels, and exhaust.  Comes with factory wheels and tires. 

F0CB4F32-91D3-40B7-9854-3480798D1F1D.jpeg.02647ae88f923ff17fd49855c5912463.jpeg

it has a couple of small surface rust patches but overall seems to be in great shape.

Question: have any of you ever owned one or know someone close to you that had one?  Just wanting to know how reliable they are and what problems you have had if any? 

• Like 3

WVHillbilly520H

@PeacemakerJack, Josh that version of the LT1 mechanically is rather solid/reliable but the "opti-spark" distributor is a weak point it's mounted on the front of the engine behind the water pump and the factory original design would corrode from moisture build up, there is an aftermarket replacement that usually takes care of that, everything else should be OK they're basically the Impala SS of the same generation, Jeff.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

I dunno Clark..... looks kinda lIke the Griswold family truckster to me! :laughing-rolling:

Edited by WHX20
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Jerry77

That would be an awesome ride...I love the big Buicks for their comfort and ride...take it for a spin and you will want it...and remember...ALL cars have problems..:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rp.wh

I also like the looks of a roadmaster i really thought about buying one but its kinda to new to do anything with..you can make a real "sleeper" out of one just go on youtube all kinda of burn outs and donuts for days with these! I like the hood on it ,wheels not so much, 123k isnt bad for a 20 plus year old car. But ill say buy it clark would be a blast they make tons of aftermarket suspension for them to prevent body roll ect. And odviously the lt1 is a Corvette motor could make it haul the mail! :D

Edited by Rp.wh
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

PeacemakerJack
3 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

the "opti-spark" distributor is a weak point it's mounted on the front of the engine behind the water pump and the factory original design would corrode from moisture build up, there is an aftermarket replacement that usually takes care of that

Thanks Jeff! This is exactly the information that I’m looking for as we go to test drive it tomorrow. If we purchase the car, could you suggest an aftermarket brand or give me a link to the product that you would suggest?  I know that you eat, breathe, and sleep BowTie products.  Thanks for your input!

• Like 1

squonk

The hood scoop alone says yes! :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19richie66

Yes definitely read up on the optispark.  My dad had two 96 Impala SS’s. He didn’t have them long enough to have the issues. Just something I’ve always heard about. I got to take one on vacation once and it was the best riding car I have ever drove. Felt like you were gliding down the road. Wanted to pass someone?...... no problem as it had plenty of power and for that big of car, it would scoot! I have seen a Caprice wagon blacked out and made into an SS clone. Looked cool but like a big roach going down the road. :laughing-rolling:

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

WVHillbilly520H
8 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

Thanks Jeff! This is exactly the information that I’m looking for as we go to test drive it tomorrow. If we purchase the car, could you suggest an aftermarket brand or give me a link to the product that you would suggest?  I know that you eat, breathe, and sleep BowTie products.  Thanks for your input!

Like Richie said above read up on it, MSD and AC-Delco/Delphi are going to be your top choices for replacement, and I believe they need to be "vented" so the moisture doesn't build up inside them.

Screenshot_20180716-075506.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

clueless

The last of the big rear wheel drive GMs. My cousin had the four door version, burgundy with burgundy leather and every option. Last year when she retired she donated to a veterans organization, still ran like a top. A few years back we took an 800 mile trip with her and the car, I drove at least 400 miles, like Richie says best riding car I ever drove, including my aunts Mercedes. Five adults and luggage 70+ mph, probably still got 15 mpg. When you pushed the right pedal to the floor it would put you back in the seat enough for the wife to say "What The Hell Are You Doing":bitch:, not 440 six pak stuff but you get the picture. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

PeacemakerJack

:text-goodpost: thanks man! Great story

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack

Here’s the “rest of the story”...being the guy that I am, I likely would’ve bought the car right on the spot even before taking it for a drive it was in that good of shape.  Yes, there were a couple of surface rust spots in some of the typical locations for a car that spent most of its 24 years in Wisconsin.  However, it was very clean inside and out.  We took it for a test drive with the whole family and everyone liked its smooth compliant ride and I was all about the power and torque—more than my 1995 Chev truck!  

FEB66267-6065-4FEE-BE98-06577FD93732.jpeg.d6e538f400e5d888884c3a7401fb04c7.jpeg

but...it was to be momma’s daily commuter so in this case I let her make the final decision.  She was uneasy about it and I haven’t been married to the same woman for nearly 18 years without learning a thing or two! I’ve found that if she is uneasy about something, I had better tread carefully in that area!  So, we walked away from it...in the late afternoon the second interested party came in and bought it!  

Thank you everyone for weighing in on this and offering some great advice.  I still want to get one of these someday...

• Like 3

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
On 7/16/2018 at 4:18 AM, squonk said:

The hood scoop alone says yes! :occasion-xmas:

I like the duals coming out the back.

Glenn

DennisThornton
On 7/15/2018 at 6:59 PM, PeacemakerJack said:

Hey guys, my wife has always had a fettish for the wood panel side station wagons.  I found out about the Buick roadmaster estate wagons of the mid 1990’s about ten years ago.  Most of them came from the factory fully loaded with options.  What made them very interesting is that they had the drivetrain from the Corvette including the 260hp LT1 motor. 

I found this one locally with 123,000 miles.

EBD506AD-1CB6-4075-BDDE-56376DAD5A2D.jpeg.f39f2e349e478afa093364e8d54ecfca.jpeg

Stock other than the hood, wheels, and exhaust.  Comes with factory wheels and tires. 

F0CB4F32-91D3-40B7-9854-3480798D1F1D.jpeg.02647ae88f923ff17fd49855c5912463.jpeg

it has a couple of small surface rust patches but overall seems to be in great shape.

Question: have any of you ever owned one or know someone close to you that had one?  Just wanting to know how reliable they are and what problems you have had if any? 

Loved mine!  Father-in-law loved his!