Tommy Graffen

Newbie (Scotland )

Tommy Graffen

Hi l have recently bought an old wheel horse commando 7.The plan was to turn it into a miniature Massey Ferguson 135 for my grandson's to take to the shows that we attend with my Bedford TK and McCormach International tractor.I'm now having 2nd thoughts as l think what l have might be pretty scarce over here with the 3 point linkage and the roller cutting deck.Could anyone enlighten me as to the approx year and rarity (there are no plates except engine plate) I would then restore this one rather than start chopping it about.

Cheers Tommy 

20180715_172919.jpg

20180715_172902.jpg

• Like 2

rjg854

:text-welcomeconfetti: 2 :rs:

I'm not all that familiar with this model but my Commando 8 was a 1968 . So I would say that is about the same time frame. 

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

I am no expert but I would wager that is pretty rare on your side of the pond...

I would restore it as is or just clean her up and run it!

rmaynard

Probably late 60's. Usually, the ID tag was placed under the dash as shown by the arrow. That's a nice find. I would not modify it but for the color scheme.

image.png.b7f011193eec92b293b59486f7a70464.png

harryt

Welcome to the forum Tommy

I too saw that for sale on the auction site, however I know the 3 point linkage is a home made job, looks like the arms off a Compact Tractor or the like. I think the cylinder mower is also adapted from something else but not entirely sure.

I’m sure you will have fun with it

Tommy Graffen

Thanks guys for the replies,it is a given that the tractor will be restored so the green/blue will definitely go.On the back of Harry’s comments l will not feel so bad if l do change it around a bit.Still unsure though,what l maybe do is buy another rougher one with no cutting deck etc etc and modify that one,Watch this space

KC9KAS

@Tommy Graffen :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

Good luck with your restore! Keep us posted.

tunahead72

Hi Tommy, and welcome aboard! :WRS:

I think I would be inclined to clean this tractor up just a bit, and start bringing it to shows right away.  I'm sure it would start some conversations, and you could get some valuable insights into how it came to be in its present condition.

I saw your photos of your truck in the gallery, very nice!

gwest_ca

The few Commando 7 models that have shown up were placed with the Commando 8 models. So far the serial numbers don't indicate any where made in Belgium.

Click on the picture

Garry

c-series don

The 3 point hitch is definitely not factory, but definitely very cool. I'd like to see more pictures of the mower. Is that a flail or reel mower? 

Tommy Graffen

Thanks guys l really appreciate all the feedback.The mower is a cylinder(reel) with roller to give you stripes in your lawn,this looks like it may have been an option when new as the brackets and fittings are to a high standard unlike the rear linkage which upon closer examination isn't as well finished but still a useful add on.    

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Hey Tommy, glad to have you here.

:wh:.  :text-welcomeconfetti:

Glenn

Stormin

'Ow do, Tommy. :WRS: 

I too saw that tractor. Wasn't far from me. I've never seen or heard of a mid mounted mower like that. Do it up and show it as is and get another for the grandkids.

The Bedford TK looks great. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Tommy Graffen

Going to view a C161 today(the wife will kill me):unsure:

• Like 1

meadowfield

Hi Tommy,

we were keeping an eye on that one too - wasn't too far north for us to go...

With those wheels and hood/dash it's around 68 and possibly one of the first Belgian models. As highlighted the cutter and three point aren't original, but fit quite well and could be very useful!

have fun

Tommy Graffen

Been and bought another one.Its in good overall condition and comes with a brand new spare engine,electric start 8 speed etc.Bit rough around the edges but perfect for my needs

20180716_105129.jpg

tunahead72

Well, that was quick!  You're not dead yet, eh?

Tommy Graffen

HaHa she doesn't know yet,picking it up on the way home from work the hard part will be trying to convince her that it fell off the back of a truck straight on to the back of my trailer:lol:

• Like 1

Stormin

Doesn't look to bad and spares as well. Also front wheel weights. :handgestures-thumbupright: