Mg181

Inherited 312-8 looking for deck and bagger info

Mg181

Hi

First time posting, just joined. I have a 1990 312-8 (3112K801) that I’ve taken over after my dad passed away last fall. He had it since new and I’m just realizing how dependable and sought after the WH are. His has rear discharge deck (1542RC01) but I would like the ability to bag. So, i found a used 37 inch side discharge (0537SC01) and parts to a bagger- the 5 bushel bag (0706BC02) and some plastic discharge tubes. No frame or mounting brackets.

This is all new to me, so I’m here for help. Can I swap out decks and make this a bagger or do I have wrong parts? Still have some Craigslist ads I’m looking at for complete bag system. Don’t know if I should just spend more and buy a complete set up rather than try and piece together this 5 bushel project. 

Posting pics of everything I have. Appreciate any help telling me what I need for brackets, etc and if 312-8 has a specific bagger I should be looking for. Thanks! MG

5E5C55E7-8FDA-4605-8F5C-7589B47E1BF1.jpeg

D01443A8-ABD5-41A6-8E55-CB14954F3749.jpeg

BBAF4392-E41F-4FC0-914D-19B0586B3317.jpeg

• Excellent 1

Mg181

Full tractor pics (2)

B31DCC56-1788-4C77-A17F-A11D1765BE85.jpeg

407BD8C8-89B1-42EF-85CF-37119C696134.jpeg

• Excellent 1

clueless

The two thing you need for sure with the 37" deck, the correct mule drive and belt and the smaller front wheels, 15x6.00-6. Tractor looks to have the right front wheels, and the picture of the deck has a mule drive, probably the right one. Go to the manual section on this forum and find the deck manual, it will show you what you need and how to install it on the tractor. Also I don't think the bagger and tubs are the correct ones, I may be wrong, wouldn't be the first time. That's a nice looking tractor, looks to be well cared for, WH 312-8, one of, if not the best WH produced.

Edited by clueless
  • Like 1

Mg181

The 37 inch came with a mule drive, so I have to swap out the mule already on the machine- I can’t use the one already there? (The one on my dads tractor looks in better shape then the one that came with 37 deck) I took a gamble on the bagger parts, it was thrown in with the deck. I guess I’ll keep looking for a complete bagging system specifically for 312-8.

How does the bagger mount to the rear of tractor? Is there a link to bagger mounts or brackets? Thanks.

gwest_ca

That bagger should work - just a little older than the tractor. Click on the pictures

A slightly newer one that we have an operator manual for and may be a bit larger

What is the model number of the mower deck. The early models used a 6-sided drive belt with the pulleys all being the V-type including the mule drive. Later they went with a 4-sided belt and half the idlers are flat.

Garry

Mg181

Mower deck 0537SC01. I’ve noticed it doesn’t have right and left pulley belt covers like the original 42 rear discharge on the tractor. Does the 37 have pulley guards or is that the way it’s supposed to be. Thanks for the larger bagger info. I still need a way to attach the small 5 bushel one I bought, or find a complete bagger set with all the brackets and braces.

Edited by Mg181

gwest_ca

Click on the pictures. You can download from the next page that comes up.

As long as the pulleys are all still the V-type this should apply

A good page to print out and have when installing the drive belt.

Garry

• Like 1

clueless
15 hours ago, Mg181 said:

The 37 inch came with a mule drive, so I have to swap out the mule already on the machine- I can’t use the one already there? (The one on my dads tractor looks in better shape then the one that came with 37 deck) I took a gamble on the bagger parts, it was thrown in with the deck. I guess I’ll keep looking for a complete bagging system specifically for 312-8.

How does the bagger mount to the rear of tractor? Is there a link to bagger mounts or brackets? Thanks.

The mule drives are basically the same except for the pulleys and belt. The 42" mule drive has a V-pulley and a flat pulley, the 37" has two V-pulley. The 42" belt is a V-belt, the 37" has a 6 or 8, I can't remember, sided belt. I think you can just switch the pulleys. The bagger tub in the picture that would bolt to the decks discharge angle doesn't look right, I think the one I have, the angle has the tub further outbound, I'll check mine today. If you bolt that tub to your decks it look like the path of the tubs would be hitting the rear wheels. Check with A-Z in the vendor section, Lincoln, probably has what you need.

• Like 1