Jefflb

Engine stops while mowing

Jefflb

I have a 1990 520h with 20 Oman and has only 400 hours on it . As I cut grass the engine just shuts off but if I disengage mower blade real quick it will restart and backfire . I have changed the micro switches at the disengage handle but nothing . Anyone have an answer. I have also checked all grounds . One thing about it , it keeps all the dogs out of the yard while I mow ! It doesn’t matter if you are going downhill or up hill . I have even had it shut off while at idle and not be on the mower . It’s frustrating. Sometimes it does it 10 times during a cut or 3 times no real pattern. 

Edited by Jefflb
Adding more information

buckrancher

have you checked the seat switch? 

• Excellent 1

WVHillbilly520H

Sounds like the ignition module/reluctor ring behind the flywheel, also I believe the early '90s models didn't have the "gasket" between it and the engine block so the heat seems to kill them faster doesn't matter on hours, had it happen on my anniversary model, Jeff.

IMAG2263.jpg

IMAG2137.jpg

IMAG2139.jpg

• Like 1

Jefflb

Thanks for the information. The seat switch was bypassed first thing to eliminate that but thanks for your input. I will check the last comments. Thanks for all that offer suggestions 

N3PUY

Check the 9-pin connector.  It hangs at the right rear of the motor.  There could be a loose connection in it.  With it running just wiggle it around.

Jefflb

Thanks I will do this.. 

Jefflb

Well I replaced the seat switch and that didn’t fix it . Thought it would . I don’t understand why when i disengage or engage the mover deck it refires . Some times even when I try to crank it first time to start mowing it will crank over and over so I will wiggle the handle to engage mower it will crank right up . Then start mowing and it will cut off and I disengage mower it will restart right back up and sometimes backfire. I have replaced both micro switches at the mower engage handle . I  wiggles all the wiring in the battery compartment with it running ( nothing ) also cleaned grounds to frame . Any more ideas . 

N3PUY

Well, it's an ignition failure if it backfires out the muffler.  Could be the ignition like Hillbilly says.  But the easier thing to check is the power to the ignition.  Take the 9-pin connector apart and with a very tiny screwdriver tighten up the female terminals.  Do all of them.  Just take the screwdriver in beside the terminal and bend it in a little.  So it looks like a smaller, tighter fit.  You don't need to remove the terminals from the connector.  Just tighten them so the male terminal is a tight fit.   Then go mow and let us know if that helped.  If not then go to the ignition.  

• Thanks 1