Bpriest

C160H Crank no start

Bpriest

Hello,

A few years ago my C160 16hp Kohler had a weird issue it wouldn’t run right sounded like it was skipping or was way to lean. This happened after we used it to try and jump start another tractor. I bought new points and adjusted them same issue. A year or two later I’m working on it again put a brand new carb on it , new battery fresh gas , fresh fuel filter , fresh air filter. Now it won’t even start. Any ideas on both of these issues. 

MarkS

Welcome to RedSquare!!:text-welcomeconfetti:

To start troubleshooting, I would check for the three main things to make the engine run: spark, compression, and fuel. Generally speaking with all three, the engine will run. Keep us posted!

BOB ELLISON

Welcome to Redsqure 

I also have a c160 and you will have to check 

#1 spark

#2 fuel 

#3 compression 

The first thing I check is spark. Pull the plug and turn the key on to see if it's gitting the plug to spark.then replace the plug if it's ok.pull the gas line off at the carburetor, turn the key to start and see if gas is flowing out and if so pour a little gas into the carb to see if it will try to start if it try's  to start then it's fuel related. Also if it sat for a long time check the fuel tank shutoff valve it has a small filter in it that may be pluged .

Check the wiring and the safety switchs one is for the pto and the other is the foot pedal.  You can bypass the switchs with a jumper to see if its at fault. Here's a diagram 

BASIC WIRING B80 - C160.jpg

Edited by BOB ELLISON
  • Like 2

squonk

You used it to try to jump start another tractor. Something might have heated up. Check you ammeter connections. I have seen them start to melt.

Edited by squonk

953 nut

:WRS:

The points may need to be cleaned up a little. Even new out of the box they can have a bit of corrosion that prevents them from making a good ground.

Check to see if you have 12 volts at the "+" terminal of the ignition coil with the key ON. If you don't have 12 volts there then use a small jumper wire to make that happen.

Once you have the 12 volts at the coil then go on to the spark plug check. If there is no spark you can unhook the condenser lead from the coil "-" terminal and see if there is spark.

Do these things and get back to us.

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Bpriest

I will get back to you guys. Quick question whats the spec on adjustments for the points as well as the carb jets. 

Thanks for the welcomes and quick responses!

moe1965

After you set the points like 953nut saidclean the points.  I open them up and insert a clean index card between them close the points and pull the card out.

Bpriest

Will do, does anyone have the specs on the points adjustment and carb

adjustments 

pfrederi

.020  for points

carb.JPG

• Excellent 1

Bpriest

Okay so today I adjusted the carb to spec. I then checked for spark, I got 12volts at the + of the coil. No spark at the plug, I then disconnected the condenser on the - of the coil and still no spark. I have fuel, I haven’t tested compression but it’s got enough to open the rain cap on my stack. What do you guys think.

953 nut

Are you sure you have the ignition points adjusted properly? They need to be closed the majority of the time and open momentarily to allow the magnetic field in the primary to transfer to the secondary winding. With the key "ON" you should be able to open and close the points (use a wood or plastic item to do it) and see a small spark.

With the key off rotate the engine by hand while observing the points, they should open slightly (about 0.020") and then close. If this isn't happening you need to correct this.

Bucko

If there is no spark after all of the described tests, and you have tried a new or known good spark plug (you are holding the metal base of the spark plug against the engine metal, away from the spark plug opening to prevent any fuel getting to it, correct?), then I'd suspect the ignition coil is at fault.