98layinframe

What size Battery is needed?

98layinframe

I went to wallmart tonight and they have three U1 style tractor batteries. All 3 seem to be identical is size and terminal layout.. but there's 3 different CCA ratings.  230cca, 300cca, and 350cca versions. Prices also vary from 22$ to 30$ to 40$.   More cranking amps is always nice.. but would I be ok with the 230 version?  Didn't pay much more for the entire tractor.. so don't really wanna spend a lot if I don't have to. Haha.

bo dawg

CCA is Cold Cranking Amps, If you don't plan on using it during the winter 230 would be fine, but I would rather have the 300 or 350 in mine even just for summer use. Some of the big blocks turn over harder and the bigger battery helps too.

• Like 1

953 nut

It has been my experience that the 230 will only last one year but I get three or more years out of the 350.

• Like 2

DennisThornton

Bigger is better. 

Way better when cold! 

Or when the battery gets old. 

• Like 2

pacer

Amazingly I have a wally 230a in a D-180 big twin tractor that is coming up on 5 yrs in Oct!! But the last 3-4 that Ive bought I did go to the 300a, theres such a small price difference. And, it doesnt get all that cold down here in La, which undoubtedly would make a big difference.

Edited by pacer
  • Like 1

peter lena

cold weather use requires more cca, mine is 350 Wal-Mart, also have a battery tender  plug in hard wired at battery posts. wire wrapped that to my choke cable, for quick /easy plug in anytime and winter. pete

• Like 2

squonk

As a general rule, The more cranking power the shorter the life. The case size is the same no matter what amp rating so they squeeze in more plates for more power. Heat is the battery's no. 1 enemy so a squeezed together battery has less room for cooling. Got this right from the DEKA rep when I was at Napa. Of course some batteries last 1 year some last 10. I get 230-340 Amp  units and keep them on a tender. I change batteries out every 3 yrs. Never had one actually fail but when they go on sale I pick out the oldest and replace it. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

953 nut
3 hours ago, squonk said:

when they go on sale I pick out the oldest and replace it.

Mike, I can see your point about heat damage but doubt our engines will overheat a battery when cranking. I would think overcharging would be the more likely source of heat damage. I should probably adopt your battery replacement schedule. I always hang in there until at least the second time I have to resort to jumper cables and then the battery is NOT on sale!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

squonk

I should have mentioned vibration as an enemy too. . :)

I get my 10% coupon from TSC then I head to the shop. The older batteries start to cower, worried that they may be next in line. :hide:

clueless
15 hours ago, squonk said:

As a general rule, The more cranking power the shorter the life. The case size is the same no matter what amp rating so they squeeze in more plates for more power. Heat is the battery's no. 1 enemy so a squeezed together battery has less room for cooling. Got this right from the DEKA rep when I was at Napa. Of course some batteries last 1 year some last 10. I get 230-340 Amp  units and keep them on a tender. I change batteries out every 3 yrs. Never had one actually fail but when they go on sale I pick out the oldest and replace it. 

:text-yeahthat: :handgestures-thumbupright:

Skipper

You can fit certain size auto batteries. They outperform the garden variety :D by miles. Both in power and life span.

That's what I have in every single one. High quality like new ones from the car shop shop will run 10-15$ here, and I'm guessing less in the US.

• Like 1

squonk

No such thing as a $ 39.99 car battery anymore. $50 is the cheapest I can find.

pfrederi

Group 22NF are a perfect fit in the older larger battery boxes on WHs.  The will last a lot longer than the L&G ones but are pricey.  The 22Nf thatc ame in my JD GT235 has been in use for 17 years now....

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
15 minutes ago, squonk said:

No such thing as a $ 39.99 car battery anymore. $50 is the cheapest I can find.

You can get "remanufactured" automotive batteries for $30...had one in the Kioti don't know how long it was in it before I bought it but it lasted 4 years before I just couldn't take the posts constantly corroding if after cleaning and treating multiple times so I bought one of Wal-Mart's economy group "75" batteries that I also have in my street rod.

IMAG3987.jpg