dells68

D160 - First start

953 nut

:woohoo:                                             :woohoo:

Always a good feeling when they roar to life and exceed your expectations!       :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Pollack Pete

Nice...….lots of folks here don't care for  Onans.I happen to like them.You probably will grow fond of them too.Congrats on the start-up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

dells68

I cranked her again this morning.  She was slow to pull enough fuel to start, but once she started, she ran great.  She would start without choke even after sitting several hours!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H
On 7/12/2018 at 10:48 PM, dells68 said:

I've heard lots of bad things about Onans, but this one starts pretty easily and seems to run pretty good.  I'm very pleased with it.  Thanks @stratostar250!

Honestly Onan is way underrated, wonder why Cummins bought them out instead of Kohler or Briggs :think:...

• Like 2

dells68

Honestly, I'm really liking this Onan so far.  It runs great and really has a very distinct sound.  I hope to go through the whole tractor this winter and make it look good.  I'll  start another thread when I get started.  For now, I'm going to enjoy it!

• Excellent 2

Tankman

Always loved Kohler but, since picking up the 520-8, really like this powerful 20 hp Onan. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3

Pullstart

Let’s see Emory running that beast around!  Always a good feeling to hear a “new” toy roar to life, huh?

• Like 2

dells68

Kevin, I think that's next on his agenda!  We've been busy getting ready for our annual tractor show this Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.  Just getting at least 10 of our horses clean is a job!  I'm going to take the big Ole d though.  None of them around here.  I just put a seat on it and am getting it ready to go!

• Excellent 2

dells68

We brought the D along with 11 other horses to our local show for this weekend.  The D started running way too rich when I loaded it.  Tweaked the float and she then got starved for fuel.  Tweaked her again and finally hit a happy medium.  Ran great and started right up and purrs like a kitten.  Great sound and tons of power!

EE279C1B-363D-4A6D-97EF-50EA0BE5498D.jpeg

F221BE5D-6C88-4BE1-ACB5-E1750501A70A.jpeg

A024131F-9E24-4651-A00A-7661439DAD02.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 4

stratostar250

Glad to see that thing is running well for you! The previous owner told me that it smoked bad on one cylinder, but he hadn't run it in a few years, maybe he got his machines mixed up? :scratchead:.  Awesome to see it running and working good for you! Glad it went to good hands! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Thanks 1

dells68

Well, @pullstart asked for it.  Here's a video of Emory cruising on the D160.  

I finally put a new needle and seat, gaskets, adjustment screws, and float in the carb.  A little adjustment of the float and no more flooding out or fuel starvation.  I was tickled with the rear tires at first, but they seem to slide worse in gravel than any other tires I have.  Maybe I need to look into a nice set of turfs or ags.  What do you guys think?  If I put different ags on the rear, what about ags on the front to give it a muscle tractor look something like the old 4x4 Oliver tractors?

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

AMC RULES

Boy handles that beast like a pro.   :handgestures-thumbupleft:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

dells68
16 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

Boy handles that beast like a pro.   :handgestures-thumbupleft:

He was a little scared of it at first, but ended up liking it.  He still likes the poor ole  Work Horse I drug home better.  I guess it's just more his size.:auto-swerve:

• Like 2

Pullstart

Lookin’ good Emory!  Dell, are those rears loaded?  I bet that would help with spinning if they are empty.

• Like 1

dells68
6 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Lookin’ good Emory!  Dell, are those rears loaded?  I bet that would help with spinning if they are empty.

No they aren't.  You know I didn't even think of that.  I'll check into that and see what I could do.  I just glanced at the valve stems, but I don't think they have tubes - that would influence my ability to load them.  I don't want to eat the rims up.  I've got two GT14's and neither have any noticeable wheel slide.  Never having had a D, is it the tires or lack of weight balance?  Any help appreciated!

• Like 1

Pullstart

This is another instance of “I have no sound advice on D series machines”, but it looks like there is a lot of front weight to get moving, so any traction booster will be a bonus.  Tubes are cheap enough that I agree with not loading bare rims, and they should be tubed.  There is a small shop around here who seems to always have a supply of used auto antifreeze.  I picked up like 25 gallons of it one time and that’s what I loaded my first set of 4 tires for Putt Putt with.  They are still loaded and haven’t caused any issues in 5 years.  Nothing but good comes from loading them up!

• Like 1

dells68

I don't mind antifreeze, but don't ask me about calcium chloride!  We've lost several farm tractor rims to that stuff!  Now, we run methanol/water mixture - much easier on rims.  Last rim I had pulled off looked like brown Swiss cheese on the inside and you could poke your finger through it!

• Sad 1