Pullstart

New shop lights

Pullstart

Yes @ebinmaine I know how bad I need to clean the shop... But at least I can see now!  I found these 3000 lumen 4000K brightness 4’ shop lights for $20 a piece from Home Depot online ( not sold in my local store) and got 6 installed so far.  I’ll wait until the other 8’ strips die before I replace those.

3A9643E2-9A8E-4737-AF75-4D006D7793F2.jpeg

CB893A22-2870-4259-AB99-A160A299115F.jpeg

F7958EAD-773F-4CF0-AF91-45C2638F7DE7.jpeg

• Like 5

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, pullstart said:

Yes @ebinmaine I know how bad I need to clean the shop... But at least I can see now!

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA !!!

It's all good Kevin !!

It's excusable because of poor past lighting.....

Mine looks like a small cyclone went  through lately.

Love the new lights!

• Haha 1

Mike'sHorseBarn

I put new LED lights in my shop last summer and it was one of the best things I ever did! Looks good!

• Like 2

Pullstart

FYI, Menards has a better lumens per dollar rating on their 5000 lumen linkable sets... wish I shopped around a bit more...  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

varosd

Has anyone tried the LED replacement bulbs in the old fluorescent fixtures?

looks like your old fluorescent light fixtures have to be the older style magnetic versus a new were electric Ballasts

Edited by varosd
eee

shallowwatersailor

Before putting our MD house on the market, I painted the garage to improve the looks. It had a single socket right by the garage opener that was very dark. I did have shop lights over the work benches though. Using wire mold I moved and added two sockets then installed Keystone GGL-50 4400 Lumen LED Light Bulbs with built-in reflectors.

For our new VA house, there were four existing sockets in the garage plus two opener lights. For the sockets I used the smaller Keystone GGL-20 1500 Lumens LED Light Bulbs with built-in reflectors. I was just looking for decent illumination as I will be doing a minimal amount of work in there.

It is a lot brighter in both garages than the photos would indicate.

5b48d7f88b7b9_KeystoneGGL-50.jpg.f0417cbdd379e26b80cacdf67cfbab63.jpg

Keystone GGL-50 4400 Lumen

DSC01071.JPG.05dd4ddc02b9abaeff93a413073f71da.JPG

Keystone GGL-20 1500 Lumens

DSC01360.JPG.4bb1f7bf04ef83b53fbe27b441a8f4a3.JPG

Edited by shallowwatersailor

Pullstart
5 hours ago, varosd said:

looks like your old fluorescent light fixtures have to be the older style magnetic versus a new were electric Ballasts

I have not, but those fixtures are so old and rusty under the covers that they probably aren’t worth investing anything into.  So, I’ll wait for them to die, then change them out.

JPWH
11 hours ago, pullstart said:

I have not, but those fixtures are so old and rusty under the covers that they probably aren’t worth investing anything into.  So, I’ll wait for them to die, then change them out.

17 hours ago, varosd said:

I work for an electrical contractor. Our service department has done many of the florescent to led upgrades. Bottom line based on experience is about 10% of the lamps initially are bad and life span is about a year. Now we only do total fixture change outs.

• Thanks 1

tunahead72
2 hours ago, JPWH said:

... the florescent to led upgrades. Bottom line based on experience is about 10% of the lamps initially are bad and life span is about a year...

Just to clarify, 10% of the new LED lamps are bad, and they only last a year or so in the old fixtures?  That's good to know, thanks!

• Like 1

JPWH

That is correct. If you want to upgrade the florescent without changing the entire fixture buy the rolls of leds that you can cut to length. Much more reliable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WHNJ701
23 hours ago, varosd said:

yes they work fine we did it some our buildings.

Edited by jabelman

BOB ELLISON

I tried to  chang all my old 4 foot t12 florescent bulbs over to t8 led bulbs except I ran out of led's so I just installed t8's in 2 fixtures. I really couldn't see any difference. But I did have to change all the ballasts for all the t8's and led's. Not all new ballasts will work with led's. I went to the led manufacturer and they had a chart of all the ballasts that will work. The ballasts cost about $15.00 and the LED bulb was $6.00 each at lowes.so for $21.00 each wasn't bad. The led's with the fixtures was $49.00 each. But now I can see in my garage without falling over anything. I love my new lights.

There are different types of LED bulbs. Some have a built in ballast so all that's needed is 112 volts to them but very expensive. 

Edited by BOB ELLISON
  • Like 1