DelHenry

Price for 91 Wheel Horse 416 H

DelHenry

Greetings, 

Brand new here. I have a chance to buy a 91 model, one owner 416 H. Assuming as the owner says, runs good and no issues. Looks good from one picture I have seen. What is a fair price for his classic? 

Is the H designation the same as the 8? I have seen both. 

Thanks!

DelHenry

00B0B_aFE6qrUTKL0_600x450.jpg

• Like 1

BOB ELLISON

Welcome to Redsqure 

The H is for hydro so it's a automatic with hydrolic  lift .

Onan 16 hp and a Eaton 1100 transmission. Very fine tractor. I like the hydro more then the 8 speeds but everyone has there favorite models.

Here in the north where the wheelhorse is more common i would expect it to sell for $500.00 to $850.00.

So scarcity plays a big part in it.

Hours on the gage is also a bearing on price. Does it smoke on start up or running ?? And the best question of all is how much you want it. I always get a price first then resurch the machine .

If you post a price and a lot more pictures and hear it run,that will help us better determine  it's worth.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2

roadapples

H means hydro transmission or automatic. 8 is like stick shift...

Bob types faster than me...

Edited by roadapples
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

DelHenry

Thank you both for those reply's. He has dropped the price by $200 after my second inquiry. Still slightly over the $850, is $1000 out of range if less than perfect? 

MAD MARK

Yes. Stick with $800 max.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

DelHenry

Thanks

Jerry77

Is that a sickle bar I see in the background???   will he include that in a $1000 offer?? that would make a sweet deal..personally tho, a thousand for a good running vintage machine makes more sense than 2000 bucks at Lowes for a throw  away machine...:twocents-02cents:

• Like 2

Pullstart
16 minutes ago, Jerry77 said:

Is that a sickle bar I see in the background???   will he include that in a $1000 offer?? that would make a sweet deal..personally tho, a thousand for a good running vintage machine makes more sense than 2000 bucks at Lowes for a throw  away machine...:twocents-02cents:

I think that’s a hedge trimmer in the foreground, hanging from above.

Edited by pullstart
Typo
  • Like 1

Skipper

That looks to be in good overall nick, but untill you test it you never know. The deck is a 42 RD, not too invaluable either, so that is a plus in the appraisal. Never the less, you have to live somewhere pretty run dry of wheel horses, to put that thing at more than 500-600 tops. The last 416 I bourght was with a 48 dech, and 400 and some hours on the meter, and also nice looking. That was $450 and another 100$ in parts, and it took a bit of elbow grease to make it look nice again, but it goes to show that there are many fantasy prices out there. 1000$ for that machine, is one of them.

Edited by Skipper
  • Like 2
  • Heart 1

DelHenry

Thanks guys, I haven't been in that garage yet so don't know about the sickle bar. That would be nice though my place wouldn't need it.

And yes I would rather have something that would run forever. A new Toro even not likely....

Edited by DelHenry

JAinVA

Number of hours on this machine at $800 is important.I bought mine with around 600 hours some years back with a cart and a pristine 48 inch SD deck for $400.I love the machine but only use it as a drawbar tractor and to blow snow.I like the Onan engine but keep in mind that they need a little more attention than the Kohler.Every thousand hours the heads need to be decarboned and the valves need to be readjusted.I would guess that the sickle bar sighted is a hedge trimmer based on the cutters on both sides of the bar.With all I have said I would have to agree with others here that I would rather have the 416h then any new box store ride on.Luck,JAinVA

Edited by JAinVA

MarkS

A median price for that in my area would be around $500. And something I have learned from experience is don't go for the first deal you find, there will always be another :wh: that may be a better deal!

• Like 1

DelHenry

MarkS,  I appreciate that info.  

I appreciate all input. Hard to get my head around $1200 - $1000 for a mower, good it may be, that is a 1991 mower. It looks solid as a brick house! Not just this one but the whole line, all of them I have seen. It is apparently great for running a snow blower but here in Georgia I will not likely get to experience that. I am buying a house with a 3/4 acre lot that is mostly nice grass and will need to be mowed! 

Seller says it is a 44 inch deck, rear discharge, is that a common setup?

Edited by DelHenry

clueless
7 hours ago, DelHenry said:

MarkS,  I appreciate that info.  

I appreciate all input. Hard to get my head around $1200 - $1000 for a mower, good it may be, that is a 1991 mower. It looks solid as a brick house! Not just this one but the whole line, all of them I have seen. It is apparently great for running a snow blower but here in Georgia I will not likely get to experience that. I am buying a house with a 3/4 acre lot that is mostly nice grass and will need to be mowed! 

Seller says it is a 44 inch deck, rear discharge, is that a common setup?

Most of these guys giving you prices live in the land of plenty, you don't. $850.00 for a running, in decent shape, with a deck, 416H down here is not bad at all. You need to hear it run and drive it, also number of hours, although they are not always correct. One owner, usually is a good thing. The deck is a 42"rd, it's a common set up, I prefer the rear discharge, others like the side discharge, if you have trees and some flower beds, the RD is the way to go. Keep us posted. 

• Like 1