TC10284

417A - No fire after replacing Hydraulic Hose

TC10284

I have a 417A. Had to replace the very left hydraulic hose for the deck pictured here: https://www.partstree.com/parts/toro/mowers-lawn-garden-tractor/31-17ke01-417-a-toro-417-a-garden-tractor-1985/hydraulic-system-400-series/

This involved removing a lot of the instrument panel mounts and related. So a lot of wiring was moved around. 

When I got everything back together, at first it wouldn't start because the PTO safety switch was triggered. This happened some prior to the work being done, so working the PTO lever a little fixed that. 

Then it finally turned over, but it's not getting any spark on either plug. Prior to the work being done, it ran fine. I'm not sure if it's getting power to the points or something else. 

Any thoughts on what to look at? 

Side note - when I removed the bottom sheet metal that holds the hour gauge, where the forward/reverse motion lever is, I found a blue wire that was not connected to anything. This was not done by me, so it has been like this. Not sure where that goes. 

I looked in the wiring demystification guide, but there's not a 417A listed. 

gwest_ca

1986 work? Click on the picture and again on the next page. You can also download and print it.

Pto switch and seat switch control ignition once you get past the ignition switch.

Garry

• Like 1

TC10284
28 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

1986 work? Click on the picture and again on the next page. You can also download and print it.

Pto switch and seat switch control ignition once you get past the ignition switch.

Garry

Since it's turning over without jumping anything, and no flashing lights, then that should mean the seat and PTO safety switches are no longer tripped? All safety lights work when pressing the test button. So then that should mean not safety switch related. 

Edited by TC10284

gwest_ca

If you are getting battery power to the coil (+) then the safety switches are ok. If not then you need to work your way back to the battery (+) through the safety switches and ignition switch.

Garry

• Like 2

TC10284

The problem turned out to be bad points (at least they looked burnt) and definitely a bad condenser. Replaced points, adjusted, replaced coil - runs great now. 

I do need some help with adjusting the PTO safety switch if it's possible. I have to push in on the actual handle to get the safety switch to go off. Meaning, push the PTO handle in toward the battery in order to get it to start. 

Edited by TC10284